Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #91
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: $720 bill for service

Quote:
Originally Posted by not happy
-----
the car is a 2004 VY2-The issue I have is the fact I drove the car for over 2 years and 2 dealer w/shops didn't pick up on the fact the links were missing when doing services and rear end checks,they charge enough for servicing-I ended up having to replace the rear suspension cradle due to excessive wear due 2 all the movement in the rear end.I have had Fords and Commodores b4 and have fitted camber caster kits to previous Commodores

Firstly, these links have nothing to do with the rear suspension movement you describe. All they do is adjust the Toe, which wouldn't help with the camber problem you describe.

2ndly. Never come across a caster kit for the rear of a Commodore.

3rdly. Ever take the car in for a wheel alignment? Service centres very very rarely do this as part of the service. If so, why not blame the place that did the alignment for not picking up on these?

Enough said I think, as it's going off topic

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #92
kruptor
Custom Member

Lets see this invoice.It will explain everything......
kruptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #93
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelsGolf
The bit i really dont understand with service costs is why not analyse your bill first and discuss it with the business providing the service? Surely that will clear up any misunderstanding or over charging.

It really seems a bit weird coming onto a forum complaining about the costs when you cant even tell us what they're made up of.

Something isnt making sense.
Exactly, always ask how much it will be, either when booking in on the phone or when you drop the car off. Most dealerships will give you the price without asking. If the job card is signed by the owner showing the price quoted then there is no "5 O'clock heart attack".
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #94
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

$720 for a B service? Definitely not right. Yes, there's some conjecture as to what's on the invoice and I'm sure when Rich has had a look at it "after he's finished nightshift on Sunday", which will be today some time, we'll get to see.

The fact is, if you take the car in for a 60,000km service, which includes all of the things mentioned on the post on the first page, anything above and beyond that, they are required to call to inform the owner and get permission to go ahead before performing any extra work. You've got what they believe to be 2000km left on your brake pads? Fine, call up and let you know first, with a quote for that job (which will more than likely make you choke on the air that you're breathing) and you can then choose to take it to someone else who will charge a lot less for non-genuine parts that are more-than-likely better quality.

Edit - this topic has obviously sparked a bit of interest, people have made some pretty good points and shared some good information. More importantly, It hasn't been locked. That's the point of coming onto a forum and asking questions. Yes, sometimes people don't always have 100% of the info at hand. The point's been made and addressed and we'll hopefully see something in the way of an invoice today.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD

Last edited by Scaffy; 12-12-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #95
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Hey guys, just had a good friend of mine take her 2008 Ford Fiesta into a dealership for the 60,000 kms service. When she picked it up she was charged a whooping $720!!!
Not quite sure what the rant is here. Anybody knows if you go for a dealer service it's about double what it should be.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #96
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is becoming a lynch mob frenzy.

If the OP does not wish to provide more info I am going to close it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #97
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

What the...? Didn't anyone else see the OP state that after he comes off nightshift on Sunday, he'll be able to give more info? Obviously, being on nightshift, he won't have the opportunity to see his friend who owns the car. Give him the chance and I'm sure he'll be back with more info once he's had a sleep and caught up with his friend. Get that finger off the trigger... Haha
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #98
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok guys, havent had a chance to get back on here. Went around to my friends place monday morning as they were at their christmas party on sunday.

Was the typical 'B' service; oil filter, oil ($53.40 mind you), fuel filter, check over etc.

What wasnt part of the service that was extra; emission service , throttle body service - after 60,000 kms why??? and brake fluid change and flush.

She was told about the brake fluid but not the others. Total for labour $314 the rest was for parts.

Whats the going rate for vehicle servicing these days???

Anyone know anything about the emissions service??? I'm also questioning the need for a throttle body service, especially after only 60,000 kms.

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #99
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

She got ripped off.
$406 for supply of oil, oil filter, brake fluid, fuel filter ?
$314 for about 2 hours work ?
I don't even know what an emission service is, but it seems like something
extra to write on the bill. Throttle body clean is a simple task that takes
a few minutes.

All of those items listed above, including labour, would cost me about
$250 at my (independant) mechanic.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #100
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

obviously added an extra fee because she was female.
Old 16-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #101
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
She got ripped off.
$406 for supply of oil, oil filter, brake fluid, fuel filter ?
$314 for about 2 hours work ?
I don't even know what an emission service is, but it seems like something
extra to write on the bill. Throttle body clean is a simple task that takes
a few minutes.

All of those items listed above, including labour, would cost me about
$250 at my (independant) mechanic.
Exactly my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
obviously added an extra fee because she was female.
Wouldnt surprisee at all.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #102
Rodge
Banned

I know there's a lot of very mechanically aware ladies on here, but my wife isn't one of them which is why I make the effort to have the very dubious pleasure of taking her car in for its services.

Its not the most thrilling drive of the year by any means but probably saves us a bit of money, besides she hates driving into the central city so what's a guy to do, might as well be a gentleman
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #103
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I know there's a lot of very mechanically aware ladies on here, but my wife isn't one of them which is why I make the effort to have the very dubious pleasure of taking her car in for its services.

Its not the most thrilling drive of the year by any means but probably saves us a bit of money, besides she hates driving into the central city so what's a guy to do, might as well be a gentleman
and score Brownie points !!!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #104
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

I have my Fords serviced as per Ford service schedule only while in the 3 year warranty period. After that, I only get and pay for what is required to be done. For example, clutch fluid changes and brake fluid every two years, coolant change every three years, etc. I have the oil and filter done every year (only do low kms in the GT) and supply the oil (previously bought at Supercheap when on 20% off sale). I keep a spreadsheet record of what I have had done and when and what time the next major items need doing ( as specified in the service book). This keeps the servicing costs quite reasonable over the time I have the
Vehicle.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #105
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now we all know that the customer is told how much they will be up for at time of drop off and signing the ro confirms you understand the conditions, you will be told if any extra work is required you will be called to confirm the extra costs.
Now I have been told myself 12,000 times "oh just do what needs to be done I need my car to be right" a good service adviser will ignore this and call to confirm, some dont.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #106
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Don't want to appear rude but that shows your lack of knowledge with things mechanical.
never seen the valves adjusted on a 2.5 navara, even know the book says every 40,000km, hilux 2.5 the same people get the ***** when told to drop the car of the night before as needed to be cold never happens never gets done
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #107
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

cut your loss and find a good mechanic.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #108
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
never seen the valves adjusted on a 2.5 navara, even know the book says every 40,000km, hilux 2.5 the same people get the ***** when told to drop the car of the night before as needed to be cold never happens never gets done
Customer or delearship staff attitudes may dictate to whether they get checked and/or adjusted, but my post referred to a lack of mechanical knowledge by EDManual

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #109
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
This is very true, same thing with Honda, every 40,000km if the mechanic feels like doing it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #110
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

did you do it when you worked in a dealership?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #111
stang65
FPRJET

I would like to scan see a scan of receipt otherwise I deem this heresay.