Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Brodes
Brodes

Default Annoying Colleagues

Ok I'm here for a rant.

I work a shift roster and do 12hr nightshifts, 7pm to 7am and the good part about that is I'm the only one in the office. However I have this colleague who is a great person, but they always start work really early in the morning... I mean obnoxiously early, like 3am.... SIX FREAKEN HOURS EARLY!. And to top it off their desk is right next to mine

3am is the time during a nightshift where you've hit the wall, shifties know this well. This is the time where you like to wind things up and relax for a bit, possibly close your eyes for a little to be ready for the long drive home. But to have someone come in who's just woken up and ready to start the day, happy and chit chatty at this critical point drives me and the guys on the opposite shift nuts. Over it.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Annoying Colleagues

The advantages of retirement!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man, I wish that was my definition of annoying colleagues!!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Sounds like he might be lonely and you and your workmates are the only company he gets. Has he a partner?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noise cancelling headphones, an eye cover for sleeping, a pillow on the desk and a sign "DO NOT DISTURB" above the desk.
Might get the message then.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shift work / deal with it
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Ok I'm here for a rant.

I work a shift roster and do 12hr nightshifts, 7pm to 7am and the good part about that is I'm the only one in the office. However I have this colleague who is a great person, but they always start work really early in the morning... I mean obnoxiously early, like 3am.... SIX FREAKEN HOURS EARLY!. And to top it off their desk is right next to mine

3am is the time during a nightshift where you've hit the wall, shifties know this well. This is the time where you like to wind things up and relax for a bit, possibly close your eyes for a little to be ready for the long drive home. But to have someone come in who's just woken up and ready to start the day, happy and chit chatty at this critical point drives me and the guys on the opposite shift nuts. Over it.

Ahh I remember the pain of 7-7 shifts. I will never do shift work again unless absolutely necessary.

The worst part was that you'd almost always get a call just as you're about to knock off on the last day or someone would not turn up on time. Having someone bright and chippy would **** me to tears especially if they are not supposed to be there in the first place

I used to smash the work as much as I could upfront because as much as you try to get into patterns, I could never get used to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Sounds like he might be lonely and you and your workmates are the only company he gets. Has he a partner?
I can't think of any other reason why you'd turn up that early. No ****ing way I would despite how busy I was.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Trendseeker

To help us all understand why someone would come to work so ridiculously early, would you mind asking him and letting us know?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
To help us all understand why someone would come to work so ridiculously early, would you mind asking him and letting us know?
Yeah I'm curious about this to. I get most of my social contact at work these days because everyone is getting married and/or having kids and I'm still single but this is taking it next level.
Old 13-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #12
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
Avoiding peak traffic, they live all the way down the dirty south and work is up north here in the sticks. Apparently it saves them ~30mins each way. I still don't think that warrants having to set the alarm before 2am.
Old 13-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #13
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Avoiding peak traffic, they live all the way down the dirty south and work is up north here in the sticks. Apparently it saves them ~30mins each way. I still don't think that warrants having to set the alarm before 2am.
So this means that they are finishing work as you are starting again? They are working an 18 hour day?

Or have they set their own start and finish times for their shift?

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #14
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
So this means that they are finishing work as you are starting again? They are working an 18 hour day?

Or have they set their own start and finish times for their shift?
They normally leave work ~2-3pm, they only need to do 8hrs too, everyone's different I guess
Old 13-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #15
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your work colleague is possibly psycho or, as mentioned above, lonely. Maybe they really like your company....

I'm not sure about this "3am is the time we shut our eyes for a bit" on company time, why is that acceptable? Do you sleep the day prior to get some rest? That's why its called night shift, not sleep time.

My missus does the 7-7 night shift and there is zero tolerance for sleeping.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #16
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post

I'm not sure about this "3am is the time we shut our eyes for a bit" on company time, why is that acceptable? Do you sleep the day prior to get some rest? That's why its called night shift, not sleep time.

Old 13-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your work colleague is possibly psycho or, as mentioned above, lonely. Maybe they really like your company....

Spot the bloke who may have never done shift work before It seems simple until you actually do it. Especially over a few days. Drove me nuts and it took many months after I was doing regular hours to adjust.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #18
Brodes
Brodes

There are companies who encourage a quick nap during a night shift. I encourage the team I oversee because I know how much 10-15mins improves my productivity, rather than struggling to keep your eyes open the entire night. It doesn't matter how much sleep you get through the day, your body clock will always want to shut down in the early hours.
Old 13-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jeez hope your not on one of our defence contracts.

You say he lives down dirty south, WRONG air is cleaner and fresher, beaches are closer.

When I come to Adelaide I stay with family down south and shoit a brick traffic at 5.30 AM on either Main South Rd or Tapleys is just stupid crazy. No wonder he travels at that time of day.

Best view of Adelaide?

V

V

V

the hills in my rear vision mirror.. goodbye
Old 13-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not everyone works the same job as your wife. Some jobs have downtime. Getting some extra rest before driving home makes the road safer. Why do you hate safe roads?

On topic, at work we always work in pairs and there is a pool of 200 odd people that you have a chance of working with. Most people are good, some are fantastic, but there are a few that when you see their name you want to go sick. Not that I have ever done that.
I thinks it's almost impossible to have a work place where everyone gets on all the time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

My last workplace I was stuck with an ignorant old bigot who had been there 11 years and was furniture that couldn't be removed.

Things can always be worse.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post