Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #31
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What do you do when being Tailgated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
If it is a dual carriage way i move over to the left, otherwise i maintain speed.
When they have an opportunity to overtake they can. Otherwise i just ignore them.
Well you ere supposed to be in the left lane any way,not hogging the right lane like a lot of QLD and NSW drivers seem to think they have a right to do.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well you ere supposed to be in the left lane any way,not hogging the right lane like a lot of QLD and NSW drivers seem to think they have a right to do.
In Vic it is only on roads 90 and over.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 15-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #33
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It may be for roads only over 80 as a law but it's simple courteousy to keep left unless over taking. What is the point of 3 people driving line abrest on a highway that is 80 limited? It creates chaos on the road as the traffic light timings end up catch all the people not doing the speed limit.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #34
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Nothing.
Im not easily intimidated...
That reminds me I need to get some cameras for my cars in case I do get some clown smashing into me,so much easier than he said she said.

Last edited by TICKFORD220; 15-11-2017 at 07:16 PM.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Last time I checked it was 80 kph in Victoria.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #36
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Usually nothing as I don't know what people are capable of these days, but sometimes if I'm coming up to a stop, I'll be a little more firmer with braking

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #37
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Generally I get tail gated on rural roads with a single lane each way. I just stay as near to the speed limit as much as I can and rarely use the brakes. After a few corners the tail gater drops way back and they give up in the corners. If I am on a hwy or similar if the tail cater is being a tosser I either sit right on the limit or slow by a few kms. If they are weaving I sometimes just match the speed of other vehicles and sit in a position where I legally be but hampers the tail gathers progress

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #38
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do I do when being tailgated?

I wonder if they use to drive like a ****wit before they got a Navara.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1litre glass coke bottles out the window were awesome

bring back the rage
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #40
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they're not too close I maintain speed, if they're being a haemorrhoid I drop 5 so they go back to a reasonable distance, they rarely try it on after that.
I was towing the trailer on a 2 laner, right hand lane passing a slower car with this excel up my clacker, I did the good thing and moved over, he roared past, got done by a bike cop with a laser gun. Oh how I lolled.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #41
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Something very similar to this happened to me just the other week,
I was going on Holidays down the GOR with the family onboard (wife and a 5 and 2 year old) when I stopped at the ring road BP servo at Geelong to fill up before heading down. I had just payed for the fuel and left the servo as normal and as there are speed bumps on the exit before entering the 100k HWY, I had a vehicle infront of me exiting the servo as well, we were both driving at a normal/slow speed I was a car length or so behind him, everything was fine until I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed this tool in a BA Falcon sitting and weaving right up my rear.

He was in such a rush that I just gave him the stare as to say "where do you think I can go buddy, I have a car in front of me doing a safe and normal speed over speed bumps and I am following suite.

Then we get to the approach of the exit to the FWY and he's getting so angry that I put my windows down and give him the bird and let him know that Im not happy with his intimidation.

Then as we are all on the on ramp and increasing speed he decides to pull up along side of me and over take (this is a single lane).

Then as we are virtually about to join the 100 k FWY he's swerving and pushing me off onto the shoulder, he was doing exactly what happened in that dash cam clip, he was very aggressive and swerving constantly.

At this stage I am driving on the shoulder and have one wheel on the edge, my wife screaming at me to calm down as I had hands going out the window and wanting him to pull over as all I wanted was blood.

Then he drove off at a rate of knots.

He was clearly on something (Ice) or such as I remember walking past him as I exited the servo from paying and he was entering, he was a typical skinny drugged up ****.

Would I do it again....well maybe not if I was in my new car and had the family with me but if I was alone and in a different car, I'd let the whites of my eyes roll over!!!!.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #42
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NEVER Happened. Gee you lot are a bunch of whingers.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #44
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Something very similar to this happened to me just the other week,
I was going on Holidays down the GOR with the family onboard (wife and a 5 and 2 year old) when I stopped at the ring road BP servo at Geelong to fill up before heading down. I had just payed for the fuel and left the servo as normal and as there are speed bumps on the exit before entering the 100k HWY, I had a vehicle infront of me exiting the servo as well, we were both driving at a normal/slow speed I was a car length or so behind him, everything was fine until I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed this tool in a BA Falcon sitting and weaving right up my rear.

He was in such a rush that I just gave him the stare as to say "where do you think I can go buddy, I have a car in front of me doing a safe and normal speed over speed bumps and I am following suite.

Then we get to the approach of the exit to the FWY and he's getting so angry that I put my windows down and give him the bird and let him know that Im not happy with his intimidation.

Then as we are all on the on ramp and increasing speed he decides to pull up along side of me and over take (this is a single lane).

Then as we are virtually about to join the 100 k FWY he's swerving and pushing me off onto the shoulder, he was doing exactly what happened in that dash cam clip, he was very aggressive and swerving constantly.

At this stage I am driving on the shoulder and have one wheel on the edge, my wife screaming at me to calm down as I had hands going out the window and wanting him to pull over as all I wanted was blood.

Then he drove off at a rate of knots.

He was clearly on something (Ice) or such as I remember walking past him as I exited the servo from paying and he was entering, he was a typical skinny drugged up ****.

Would I do it again....well maybe not if I was in my new car and had the family with me but if I was alone and in a different car, I'd let the whites of my eyes roll over!!!!.
Not good to hear...

The guy in the dashcam video was charged last week and his excuse was "I just lost it"...

No previous convictions etc, he just got frustrated as it's normally an 80 zone, but was reduced to 60 for road works...plus there is a fixed speed camera just before where the incident took place...

You just never know what some people are thinking...
Old 15-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #45
.:4:.
Kicking back

I like compression braking. That way there's no stop lights and if they're still close I compression lock 2nd gear. The compression lock doesn't really slow me down but the sound and smoke gets them to hit the anchors. I've had people swerve into the gutter before. I will say most the time I don't even notice tailgaters in my ute because I can only see out the side mirrors the majority of the time. Although it was fun when the ute had a monster boost leak so even though it was running like anus it let out a massive black cloud of diesel smoke if I mashed the pedal. The epa caught wind of that though....
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Do not escalate the situation and resist the desire to pull over and sort the guy out.

You don't now what crazy you're taking on, they could be on ice or have weapons
or if his friends will beat you and your passengers up....

We live in a very different world now and we need to keep our egos in check.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #47
borts154
Starter Motor

A few years ago I was driving up to Canberra from Melbourne on the Hume on a weekday morning. Traffic was pretty light, was using cruise control & it was usually me doing all the over taking.
Thing is, on that road with minimal traffic you can see when you're going to need to overtake someone way in advance. So I'd always move over to the right lane early, no need sit on someons **** & hassle them.

Funny thing was whenever I was overtaken it was the same thing every time.
Jackass would pull up behind me.
Jackass would sit close behind me for a minute or maybe a little longer.
Then Jackass overtake & speed off into the distance.

Happened about half a dozen times. Couldn't believe it was the same pattern every time.
borts154 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #48
FGX008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
If they are straight out crazy and agitated I’ll just pull over - let em’go. If they’re happy to sit on my speed I’ll just carry on as normal. Main thing is don’t react - it ain’t worth it

I had a Holden V8 Ute overtake double whites to sit on my ****. I’m guessing he saw the F6 and wanted to play. I burst his bubble when I pulled over and just let him go
I could not agree more. In these type of circumstances I just pull over to the left and let the tailgater go by. Even in my Suburb which is 40klm speed limited and I'm driving in my blue beast and there is a tailgater up close behind me I just let them go past because it's no skin off my nose whether or not they are in front of me or not.

Maybe it's because of my "don't give a cr$p age"

CHeers, Brent
Old 16-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I'm in a diesel I put my foot to the fooor and hope it blows a puff on black smoke out
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #50
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Just hold my speed and let the Mercedes driver stew a bit until they make a stupid unsafe overtaking or undertaking move. If I am travelling at the speed limit I will get out of the way when I can legally do so.
Old 16-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #51
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Sunday I went out for my weekend drive in the Mustang around 6:30am. As I was slowing down for the intersection of Bradley Street with the Northern Road a Grand Cherokee SRT came quickly up behind me and got real close while waiting for the lights to change.

Once they changed I moved off got up to the posted 80 limit but this tool sat right on my rear bumper, then drops back a bit them comes up real close again.

I just pulled over near the RAAF Signals place at Orchard Hills and he raced off. Never saw him again but I enjoyed my drive!
Old 16-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #52
Trevor 57
is now there

I leave a bigger gap in front of me so that if I need to stop suddenly I am not going to be rear-ended and I can stop allowing for the person behind me to stop safely

I also give them every opportunity to overtake safely when I can
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #53
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Last Sunday I went out for my weekend drive in the Mustang around 6:30am. As I was slowing down for the intersection of Bradley Street with the Northern Road a Grand Cherokee SRT came quickly up behind me and got real close while waiting for the lights to change.

Once they changed I moved off got up to the posted 80 limit but this tool sat right on my rear bumper, then drops back a bit them comes up real close again.

I just pulled over near the RAAF Signals place at Orchard Hills and he raced off. Never saw him again but I enjoyed my drive!
SRT 4wd owner didnt like being upstaged, Mustangs own the road in Oz now!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

If you own and drive trucks its pretty much a fact of life.
Seems everyone is just to impatient to wait. Especially the dumba** who will sit so close behind, you can't see them and they can't see around you. On the smaller trucks exhaust brakes are great discourager, on the bigger I've got to get some Jakes.
I've been so tempted to just hit the anchors, as its usually some clown in a new Ranger.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #55
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What i hate more than tailgaters are the morons that move into the safe spot i had been leaving between me and the vehicle in front.
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #56
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

If you drive a late model sedan, preferably Falcon / Commodore, the following will almost guarantee you'll never get tailgated;

- Two cellular stick-on glass antennas of different lengths on either side of rear window.

- CB Antenna clamped on side of boot lid.

- Two black painted 8-inch long x 4-inch high speaker boxes stuck with velcro strips on right and left hand side of rear parcel shelf.

- Tinted windows.

Not too many will overtake you either.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #57
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuss000 View Post
What i hate more than tailgaters are the morons that move into the safe spot i had been leaving between me and the vehicle in front.
.....and then slow down!
Old 16-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #58
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
If you own and drive trucks its pretty much a fact of life.
Seems everyone is just to impatient to wait. Especially the dumba** who will sit so close behind, you can't see them and they can't see around you. On the smaller trucks exhaust brakes are great discourager, on the bigger I've got to get some Jakes.
I've been so tempted to just hit the anchors, as its usually some clown in a new Ranger.
Jake's work really well when it's YOU doing the tailgating.

Roll up to the line of cars and when you're really close to the person who was tailing you...hit the switch and watch their heads fly around and then see the whites of their eyes.

Much fun!

So much better if it's an imposing truck like a 904.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

add me to the list of people that do nothing (when tailgated) and mind my own business.

there is no point exacerbating the problem by reacting (slowing down, braking, engaging etc). 99% of the time its not even personal. they are either in a hurry, think their time is more important than yours, oblivious to the situation, distracted or all of the above, or some other reason.

i still monitor the mirrors in case i need to brake, but tailgaters don't bother me.

so much anger on the roads. just relax, be patient and drive your car.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #60
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Jake's work really well when it's YOU doing the tailgating.

Roll up to the line of cars and when you're really close to the person who was tailing you...hit the switch and watch their heads fly around and then see the whites of their eyes.

Much fun!

So much better if it's an imposing truck like a 904.
quite a skill to tailgate in a 904, esp with smaller cars much easier in a cabover, but then they aren't as intimidating are they...

i'm not a truckie, but if i was i'd be so tempted to give all these jacked up 4x4's a taste of their own medicine, where they think size gives you more rights.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: