Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #91
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: EF XR6 is this becoming rare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
I've noticed a couple of EF XR's parked up in my suburb.
White XR6 in a carport, on blocks, missing wheels and a red XR8 on the side of a driveway just fading away in the sun. They're one of my favourite XR models, always wondered whats going on with them, but with no garage space left no point door knocking to ask.
If the front bars, lights & bucket seats etc are in really good nick & the price is right....
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #92
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is exciting, I remember years back when people would come across me with the XW V8 (value 4K) and say "Never sell it," - the E series XRs are at that stage now...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #93
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This is exciting, I remember years back when people would come across me with the XW V8 (value 4K) and say "Never sell it," - the E series XRs are at that stage now...
At the risk of being lambasted for repeating something that may have been mentioned, the ELXR6 will be a future collectable. If you think about it, the EL was the first 6 cylinder Falcon Ford got right in all departments. It was fast, it handled, it stopped and looked fantastic with arguably the best of the quad headlight fronts in the E series. Best of all, being a lighter car, it was nearly as quick as the V8 and probably handled better through corners. If I come across a clean example, I will consider ''putting one away'' as you wouldn't lose money.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
At the risk of being lambasted for repeating something that may have been mentioned, the ELXR6 will be a future collectable. If you think about it, the EL was the first 6 cylinder Falcon Ford got right in all departments. It was fast, it handled, it stopped and looked fantastic with arguably the best of the quad headlight fronts in the E series. Best of all, being a lighter car, it was nearly as quick as the V8 and probably handled better through corners. If I come across a clean example, I will consider ''putting one away'' as you wouldn't lose money.
EL XR will be desirable but only the series 2 8cyl version due to the 185kw Windsor.
You get everything great about the EL with the superior V8.

From that era id go ED Sprint>EB GT>EL GT>EL2 XR8

IMO, the only NA XR6 worth owning is a S2 or 3 AU in VCT form.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #95
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: EF XR6 is this becoming rare?

I agree entirely about the 8 been more desirable, having owned 6 & 8 cylinder E series sedans & wags, they were a good all rounder. The articles I have read were all pointing to the XR6 for its performance, handling & looks. It was also an important car in the lead up to the B series turbo's.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #96
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
EL XR will be desirable but only the series 2 8cyl version due to the 185kw Windsor.
You get everything great about the EL with the superior V8.

From that era id go ED Sprint>EB GT>EL GT>EL2 XR8

IMO, the only NA XR6 worth owning is a S2 or 3 AU in VCT form.
I'm not sure about the 185kw being much, if at all fast than the equivalent 6cyl. But certainly id prefer the S2 EL2 XR8.

but to the OP, what you have is not desirable; unless it appeals to you individually, not really to a market.

I have a mate with possibly the cleanest 5spd EB xr6 you'll find, with original 60000kms wheels and spare, and only mods is CAI and exhaust and shortened springs/shocks. He'd be lucky to get 5k now. It'll be another 15years before he can add another 5k to that, the market just isn't there because unfortunately there's a lot more car you can buy for the same price. The market is quite small for anyone willing to spend the money on a clean 90's 6cyl.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #97
elgt146
315-TUF

The E Series are becoming more desirable but will be a long time before they are worth alot.
One, there is less of them around and people who have had them in the past, are wanting to relive and get their bums back into one. They are still affordable.
Two, they are the perfect cheap donor vehicle now for Barra Conversions. We saw this with the XD, XE Series which have gone up in price so the E-Series is next.
Standard Factory original models with books will command more money. Fitted with or without Tickford Kit may not vary pricing. We saw delete stripe option GT's start going for good money because they were more rare and unique. People will start to look out for unique cars in that series. Police Specials, One off Orders, Delete Options.
Manuals will go for more than Auto. Especially a Manual that hasn't had a firewall/ Clutch Assembly fix as the metal fatigues.
People are talking and looking for E Series & AU, so the good ones are starting to be found and stored away. Now is the time to buy.

Herrod Cams, Full DiFillipo Exhaust
Ford Racing Gear, and Melling Billet Pump and some other goodies.
XCAL & Tune with Profile Autosports - Brisbane -
301.3 RWKW
elgt146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #98
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgt146 View Post
The E Series are becoming more desirable but will be a long time before they are worth alot.
One, there is less of them around and people who have had them in the past, are wanting to relive and get their bums back into one. They are still affordable.
Two, they are the perfect cheap donor vehicle now for Barra Conversions. We saw this with the XD, XE Series which have gone up in price so the E-Series is next.
Standard Factory original models with books will command more money. Fitted with or without Tickford Kit may not vary pricing. We saw delete stripe option GT's start going for good money because they were more rare and unique. People will start to look out for unique cars in that series. Police Specials, One off Orders, Delete Options.
Manuals will go for more than Auto. Especially a Manual that hasn't had a firewall/ Clutch Assembly fix as the metal fatigues.
People are talking and looking for E Series & AU, so the good ones are starting to be found and stored away. Now is the time to buy.
I agree pretty much with everything you say. I switched from E series XR8's to AU XR8's a few years back & I love them. A great car with so much R&D in it, I'm not surprised they drive so well. I watch the 2nd hand market very closely & the market on 220kw series II & III sedans has firmed nicely. It is becoming difficult to find any real value with the 220kw sedans. The AU ute's are the same. Anything nice is rare & whilst 12 months ago, a car would take 90+days to sell, it is not the case currently. I don't know if one day my AU's value will climb to the heights of the 60's & 70's Fords but in ten years time, it will be very interesting to see whats what. The great looking XD/E ESP represents the last 302/351 Cleveland built here & was the end of Ford's 60's & 70's Muscle car presence for many years. It will be interesting to see how the T2 & T3 Tickford sedans will stand up in another 5-10 years. They are such a unique car,and a big statement for Ford Australia at the start of a new millennium.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #99
cm29579

Quote:
I agree pretty much with everything you say. I switched from E series XR8's to AU XR8's a few years back & I love them. A great car with so much R&D in it, I'm not surprised they drive so well. I watch the 2nd hand market very closely & the market on 220kw series II & III sedans has firmed nicely. It is becoming difficult to find any real value with the 220kw sedans. The AU ute's are the same. Anything nice is rare & whilst 12 months ago, a car would take 90+days to sell, it is not the case currently. I don't know if one day my AU's value will climb to the heights of the 60's & 70's Fords but in ten years time, it will be very interesting to see whats what. The great looking XD/E ESP represents the last 302/351 Cleveland built here & was the end of Ford's 60's & 70's Muscle car presence for many years. It will be interesting to see how the T2 & T3 Tickford sedans will stand up in another 5-10 years. They are such a unique car,and a big statement for Ford Australia at the start of a new millennium.
You have probably seen that currently on carsales, there is just 2 AUIII XR8s on there. The same two are at a dreamers price and have been on there for more than a year each. I have never seen the market so thin. I bought mine in June last year for $7,500, excellent condition, 132,00km. I didn't even want one (already had a white XR6 '01 for many years), but had lusted after a blueprint one for years and the fact it had dual fuel sealed the deal for me. It would probably go for over $9,000 right now. Getting anyone to pay 5 figures is another story though.

There's a TE50 locally trying to fetch $38,000. You would need the specific model looking buyer to even get half that. These people should just drive and enjoy their cars instead of looking at them as investments, as in most cases, what they are worth and what they would sell for are vastly different numbers.

Last edited by cm29579; 08-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.
cm29579 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #100
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I dont really care what my car is worth tbh, I'm just happy to own & drive something i like.

Mines a keeper for its driving atributes not its long term value or its street cred, i just love the look & the fact its well built & a very reliable Tickford Falcon!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #101
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What he said.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #102
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm29579 View Post
You have probably seen that currently on carsales, there is just 2 AUIII XR8s on there. The same two are at a dreamers price and have been on there for more than a year each. I have never seen the market so thin. I bought mine in June last year for $7,500, excellent condition, 132,00km. I didn't even want one (already had a white XR6 '01 for many years), but had lusted after a blueprint one for years and the fact it had dual fuel sealed the deal for me. It would probably go for over $9,000 right now. Getting anyone to pay 5 figures is another story though.

There's a TE50 locally trying to fetch $38,000. You would need the specific model looking buyer to even get half that. These people should just drive and enjoy their cars instead of looking at them as investments, as in most cases, what they are worth and what they would sell for are vastly different numbers.
Yes, Carsales is one site of three I regularly visit along with some trade mags and a few mates who have been in the industry, for longer than they would like to admit. The golden rule for anythings 2nd hand value, regardless of trends or estimated values, is what any one person is prepared to pay on the day. I'm sure there are many older members like myself who have poured big dollars and many hours into cars to see them fetch a quarter of what ''their worth''.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #103
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here you go Maka et al, a bit of history:

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/feature...-fairmont-ghia

Not quite the XR6 but its driveline, beating the Calais. Mention is made of the overall refinement (like XY), the variable ratio steering, good execution of interior, and overall ride/handling balance.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #104
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I beg to differ re EFII XR's not having 16''s. I believe that was one of the changes, and the AU sharks were slightly different with flat edges on the spoke. I have owned most of the cars mentioned, that is my reference point, but Ford do all sorts of crazy option sales during each models lifetime, so anything is possible. I am sure E series wheels fit AU but not the other way around.
True, the 16" AU wheels were different to the 16" EF/EL wheels. And you may be right, Ford (or a dealer) may have offered 16" at no extra cost some time during the EFII's lifecycle, but brochure-spec EFIIs had 15" standard (and they were identical with the EF 15" wheels).

The EF XR brochure on this forum is that of the EFII. Passenger airbag is the tell-tale sign: that didn't become available as an option until the EFII.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #105
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good nick EF/EL/AU XR6 might be a rare find, but people only buy these if they can get them dirt cheap as they are considered a budget car for many. For these to appreciate in value, means your expecting these same 'low spenders' to grow old and one day want to spend big on these? Wont happen.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #106
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

In the future, I feel the only Falcons that will have some appreciated value will be the V8's and Barra turbos and maybe rarer limited run performance models. Manuals more so.

The NA sixes won't be worth much as collectables, including those with body kits. Whilst being eye candy and head turners, but with no go to match, won't be on too many collector lists.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #107
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
a good nick EF/EL/AU XR6 might be a rare find, but people only buy these if they can get them dirt cheap as they are considered a budget car for many. For these to appreciate in value, means your expecting these same 'low spenders' to grow old and one day want to spend big on these? Wont happen.
All cars start to go up in price when they get scarce, heck even a hq Holden isn't cheap these days.

They will never be worth big dollars though, they will be reserved in future for the EL GT.
If I had the gt in my garage, it would be staying there. An xr, not so much.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #108
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People said the same thing about the ultimate boganmobile - a VN commodore, but look at what a good VN SS pulls these days - and it's not even a HSV.

As times move on, and the young kids from the era start to want projects, the focus will move towwards 90s cars, just like it has passed through 60s, 70s & 80s models - albeit with decreasing numbers as time moves on (either defecting to imported makes from the era, or not being interested in cars). The 90s will be next - and the VN SS, as well as early HSVs, are proof of that.

I think there will definitely be a market, and therefore growing values, for the EF & EL XR6 in the future, but it's some way off, and they won't pull as much as an XR8, but they'll still get good money. The unique front body treatment also helps differentiate them too. Despite being a 6, they were still a bit of a hero car due to the V8 performance levels (unlike the V6 Commodore S vs the SS).

Don't be put off by it only being an XR6, and not a V8 or luxury model. I had the choice between a VH SL/E (5.0L) and a VH Group 1 SS (4.2L) some 25 years ago - both were the same price. By the mid 2000s the SS was worth $30K, the SL/E would struggle to raise $7K. Different story now - SL/Es are getting >$20K these days, while that Group 1 would still struggle to get past $35K. Even basic 6 cylinder early models are shooting up in value - hell look at a good XD/XE/XF - rare as hen's teeth now, and all growing in value.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #109
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
In the future, I feel the only Falcons that will have some appreciated value will be the V8's and Barra turbos and maybe rarer limited run performance models. Manuals more so.

The NA sixes won't be worth much as collectables, including those with body kits. Whilst being eye candy and head turners, but with no go to match, won't be on too many collector lists.
They do go ok after a little tickle lol, handling is their thing though. Not much to do to match stock v8 power & those mods usually give you better fuel economy too.

Mine goes alright, & if i want some real extra grunt, the well travelled path to Barra turbo goodness would be my next step.

Tbh atm though, i would rather trick suspension & big brakes first for my vct lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #110
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw another XR6 Wagon in Yarra Junction on Melbourne cup day.

Bright red and very clean.

They're still getting around.

I'll buy one again when I get the money to put away and drive on special days only one day.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #111
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You're probably right, in that sixes probably won't be worth as much, but they'd still be collectible - especially an EB2 S XR6 manual - the one that started it all.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #112
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

The Tickford Falcon hot 6 will probably never reach roughly 35% - 40% of the original purchase price though future car modders building big dollar v8 or turbo Barra Falcon mockups will pay overs when there is nothing left to buy cheap.

Day by day they are all getting rarer & going up in value modestly but if your main thing is buying a Tickford 6 to store & not drive well you may be waiting for a long time, get it out & enjoy driving it, mines atm a daily lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 11-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #113
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If any XR6 is going to be worth something it will probably be the original EB XR6. An untouched clean version if any still exist.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #114
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We fall in love with design & looks before we even know whats under the hood. I think I speak for most when I say it's the look & sound of our cars, not the power output that gives us the most joy.

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-11-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
4 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #115
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
We fall in love with design & looks before we even know whats under the hood. I think I speak for most when I say it's the look & sound of our cars, not the power output that gives us the most joy.
saying that I remember my boss buying an el GT and I drove it to the exhaust place. After he had had it lowered it was , to me the biggest pig to drive, loud and hard suspension. I mentioned Ford spent X amount of millions to set up this car and you have f&%^ed it completely . he said I don't care as long as it looks good and sounds good
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #116
Tghia06

Just revisiting this thread 3 years on to see how much has changed in that time. I had a 1994 red ef xr6 manual almost 20 years ago and have always liked the model and am trying to find something now. I am finding not many listings anymore and most ef/el xr6 are listed up as wanted to buy ads. I've found a dark blue '94 xr6 that looks pretty good and original for 4k which seems pretty reasonable in this current climate. They seem to be heading into quite desirable category.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #117
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Show me where these XR's are changing hands for peanuts. Think you may need to have a closer look. Hard to find an ED XR8 for sale these days, XR6 in unmolested nick even harder. Can't remember the last time I saw a EB or EB2 XR6 for sale either. Show me the links and I'll try to agree with you. They aren't worth much now but they are snapped up very quickly in any condition with some people thinking of putting them away long term.

I think we'll be bumping threads like this in a few years to see who was well off the mark and call them out.
Good bump TGhia. The whole corona market has accelerated the "late model muscle" price growth to another level. I have seen EB ED XR8 in full restoration required condition - go for upwards of $11k.

Many EF XR8 are going over $10k.

Correct that most of the posts around about these cars are WTB, and not cars that are for sale.

We are seeing the same shift in the market for Fords that we saw in VN and VL a few years back. Pay the premium now or weep that you didn't in the future.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: