Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Hippie Merry-go-Round

Hippies operate in the "Environmental Universe", but they don't actually care about the environment.

Hippies push for the "recycling" of glass. Companies have to install glass crushers, bag up the glass, and pay for it to be trucked to Perth.
Where it is dumped into landfill because we nolonger recycle glass in Perth.
They successfully block the building of new paper-millls in Tasmania. So instead the wood chips are loaded on oil-burning ships and taken to China, where the paper is produced in filthy unregulated mills, and then loaded onto more oil-burning ships and sent back to us.
Their complaints against glass and plastic in landfills, is based on their belief that these substances never break-down. (Which means they would be perfectly safe in landfills) Instead, waste plastic is exported to asia, where it is mostly burnt as fuel.
LPG & LNG are much cleaner and have lower carbon emissions than coal, oil, petrol, but the Hippies don't care.
Yet point out to them, that their policies actually HURT the environment, and all you get is blank stares.

Hippies are fundamentally useless people. They don't want to work or contribute, yet unlike your typical bludger, they are obsessed with their own importance, the need to be "meaningful", and their desire to control others. So they set themselves up to become "environmental experts", activists, and "influencers."

This would be bad enough if they were consistently pushing for positive change, but that is actually self-defeating to the Hippie existence, because success make you irrelevant.

So whilst young people, and those with poor memories, may think that current trends portend the future, they don't.
Instead the Hippies ride a never-ending Merry-go-Round, with their gormless devotees running around in circles after them.

When I was a kid, it was all about "Saving the Whales" and the impending "Nuclear Holocaust". Now, nobody gives a **** about the whales, and the Hippies are in FAVOUR of Nuclear Power.
Back in the 80's the Hippies had a major victory, stopping the construction of Hydro-Power on the Franklin river. Now they're in favour of hydro because it is supposedly "zero emission."

Back in the 60's and 70's, Hippies applauded the switch from Timber fences to Asbestos, because it saved the trees. Asbestos Roofing became very popular with the Hippie Elite, as an alternative to the "antiquated" roofing tiles. (Whitlam built an entire University here with Asbestos roofs.)

A large reason that the use of plastic replaced paper, glass, and steel, was because the Hippies believed it was easier to recycle.

For a while there, everyone was all hot for "Global Warming," until they figured out that not only was their science bogus, but that atmospheric warming was both imaginary and irrelevant. So now it's all about "Climate Change."
And whilst they're still beating us over the head with "Carbon Emissions" they've also decided that anything else they don't like is also causing the problem.

Diesels were previously beloved by the Hippies thanks to their better economy. But guess what, once diesels became common (could even get a diesel Fiesta) the Hippies suddenly decided they were evil.

Lithium has never had substantial industrial use, because it is relatively rare, and therefore completely uneconomical to mine. Now we're expending huge amounts of energy and chemicals to mine and process basically worthless rock, to extract low grades of Lithium, because the Hippies have decided that battery powered cars (powered by Brown Coal) is the way of the future.

They've conned the government into bribing the masses into covering their houses in unviable solar-cells. Where will their attention turn when every house is covered in this worthless crap?

When the majority of new car sales are insanely expensive EVs or wHybrids, what will be their next big push?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Hippie Merry-go-Round

The amount of emissions that container ships put out is mind blowing. If an "environment saving item" needs to be shipped to a country on one of them its probably resposible for more emissions than it will ever save, not to mention the emissions to produce the item in the first place.

For example DPF filters are a complete waste of time in my opinion. The amount of crap pumped into the atmosphere to mine the special ingredients to go into one then manufacture it and ship it around the globe for it to only last a few kms and need to be replaced starting the process all over again is food for thought.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see McDonalds is back to providing paper straws with their drinks. I am reasonably sure they moved away from paper straws in the 1980's due to concern about cutting down trees. These days, paper into landfill is carbon sequestration.

Next big push from the various Green groups is to ban electric vehicle factories.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ny-2021-06-16/

(Lots of news articles about this.)

They won't be happy until the pestilence called "human" is eradicated from the planet.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee Wiz Dazz, did ya miss ya breakie? You have gotten yaself in a pickle.

Not everyone who want's progressive change and improvement is a hippie. There are some right leaning people who wish for a cleaner, less trashy future, just as there are some who would rather see clouds of smoke and toxins filling the air and trash in the waterways. Plastics, glass etc can generally be recycled, but humans either choose to dump it in the streets, creeks etc, or simply make new, as there is more money to be made. Nuclear energy production was extremely dangerous and damaging in it's infancey, but new developments are making it more attractive.
It was the "hippy" type that made the noise in California, which resulted in our cars running cleaner today. A noise which the rest of the world heard. You must admit, today's cars are much more efficient than they were in the 60's, 70's and 80's, and, they continue to develop cleaner, more efficient engines. Will it continue though? I hope so, I love the sound of a V8.

Having different opinions is a part of living in a democracy.
Old 18-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

My ex was a hippie, picked her and her twin sister up hitch-hiking in 1977, never married, had a son in 1980, she's as mad as a two bob watch, ain't seen her or my son since 1993, and guess what, her head was so screwed up they had her on bloody lithium, not the battery neither!..lol..

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 12:29 AM   #6
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah those temperate rain forests are always catching fire.
The sap must be like napalm.
And it makes perfect sense to pay outrageous prices for military adventures that have nothing to do with us.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 12:49 AM   #7
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if you're not a hippy are you going to burn your lithium battery tools?

BTW there's only one 'green' hippies cared about (and no it's not makita). Maybe you're thinking of the other 'greenies'.
You think hippies/greenies invented plastic, PV solar, asbestos? You think they were the market forces that industry relied on and turned to when working out what is cheaper, easier and more profitable?
Lots of wrong info in your rant actually.
Or was it copied from FB so you can blame someone else?

Last edited by oldel; 19-07-2021 at 12:56 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
They successfully block the building of new paper-millls in Tasmania. So instead the wood chips are loaded on oil-burning ships and taken to China, where the paper is produced in filthy unregulated mills, and then loaded onto more oil-burning ships and sent back to us.
They may have done that but you can still buy Australian produced paper at a reasonable cost, it is produced at the Australian Paper Mills at Maryvale near Traralgon in Victoria - the brand is Reflex

And here is a list of others https://www.dnb.com/business-directo..._mills.au.html
Old 19-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
They may have done that but you can still buy Australian produced paper at a reasonable cost, it is produced at the Australian Paper Mills at Maryvale near Traralgon in Victoria - the brand is Reflex

And here is a list of others https://www.dnb.com/business-directo..._mills.au.html
There is a whole list there,but I can’t see where there are any other manufacturers other than Amcor,all the others seem to be product sellers of bulk paper which may or may not be Aust made.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #11
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my old neighbor , ex-pat yank and hippy, told me the great story of how she went to woodstood. when she was at the concert, she was pregnant at the time, she said, she was trying to get up off the ground and then mick jagger himself appear and helped her up. at the time i thought it was a great story, later on i was told and then i checked, but mick jagger wasn,t at woodstock and that he was flimng ned kelly in Australia.

but todays hippies aren,t like the 1960,s hippies, they smoke heaps of weed back then, and today its more of a trendy this thing to do. i worked with one and what a ****en bitch, he was asking for a smack in the chops. but nothing happened.

im a fan of supawog,

check supawog and hipsters.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2rp1zkDB8
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I can’t see where there are any other manufacturers other than Amcor,.

Norske Skog have a huge paper Mill at Albury (NSW) where most (if not All) of the Newsprint in Australia is Made.

Visy have several paper Mills Including one at Tumut NSW which I'm led to believe is the largest paper Mill in the Southern hemisphere..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hippies did things both good and bad.
Some great music, but those drum solos ! Noooo.
They encouraged us to be self-aware and self-actualised so we didn’t turn into clones of our parents, but now we have wellness wonkers, self-obsessed muppets that get their nutrition from farcebook likes, and the notion that we’re not part of a community but instead it’s all about me me me.
Hippies generally accepted that nuclear mutually assured destruction made horrible sense but rightly pointed out that nuclear war fighting with tactical weapons is insanity.
They encouraged repurposing and reducing toxic waste production which is all pretty mainstream these days.
Generally more good than bad imho.
And some of the hippie chicks were pretty cute and friendly too as I recall.
Old 19-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
There is a whole list there,but I can’t see where there are any other manufacturers other than Amcor,all the others seem to be product sellers of bulk paper which may or may not be Aust made.
I see quite a lot of Aussie companies - Amcor, Visy, APM, to name a couple
Old 19-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
So if you're not a hippy are you going to burn your lithium battery tools?
So tell me, why do you use lithium power tools??
Big reason is convenience. They are widely used in the industry, nnut just for that, but for safety reasons.

Whereas a Hippy would tell you that by charging your Lithium tool from a diesel powerhouse, you're saving the planet.

Quote:
You think hippies/greenies invented plastic, PV solar, asbestos?
Need to work on English comprehension skills.

Quote:
Lots of wrong info
Yeah? Name one
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Johnny Cash might be considered a hippie.
Didn’t mind a spliff (though more into speed), stood up for the oppressed, and was the first major artist to speak out against the war in Vietnam.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Crazt Dazz, I did not mind the hippies mantra of free sex and smoking weed back in the day; leave them alone and stop your whinging.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #18
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I see quite a lot of Aussie companies - Amcor, Visy, APM, to name a couple
Yeah didn’t look all that hard.Amcor is APM isn’t it?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #19
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Yeah didn’t look all that hard.Amcor is APM isn’t it?
No, APM (actually Opal Australian Paper) is owned by the Nippon Paper Group.

https://opalanz.com/divisions/opal-australian-paper/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Paper

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
No, APM (actually Opal Australian Paper) is owned by the Nippon Paper Group.

https://opalanz.com/divisions/opal-australian-paper/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Paper
yep
and Visy do a shed load offshore, had to long ago.

Ah the good ol hippys.....
I recall all too well my surfing trips/ventures up through the nth coast to Byron.
I always thought they just wanted to be off the grid, smoke their dope, grow gropes and bought their little commune terra firma.
Little did they know back then they ended up on future land value gold mines
They were just following what they saw in the USA, you know Woodstock, boo vietnam yaddayaddayadda.....
Their pov of green was WEED

oh don't forget whereever a hippy was, a Hara Krishna was close by
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #21
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of us actually got off our bums and did stuff.
Instead of wake-and-bake we worked to institute positive change though some did try to right wrongs.
And then twist up a fat one.
Old 19-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

hehe shedcoupe, now its a race horse for as we know $30 a ounce was way way way back then twisting up a FAT one
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #23
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stuff grows on trees. It’s easy.
Maybe that’s why The Man hates it so much.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People love talking about the hip new tech that will save the planet, but you rarely hear people talking about overpopulation which is a serious problem.
No matter how green technology is, you cannot keep pumping out people at the current rate and expect the planet to be ok.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #25
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yep
and Visy do a shed load offshore, had to long ago.

Ah the good ol hippys.....
I recall all too well my surfing trips/ventures up through the nth coast to Byron.
I always thought they just wanted to be off the grid, smoke their dope, grow gropes and bought their little commune terra firma.
Little did they know back then they ended up on future land value gold mines
They were just following what they saw in the USA, you know Woodstock, boo vietnam yaddayaddayadda.....
Their pov of green was WEED

oh don't forget whereever a hippy was, a Hara Krishna was close by

And a big dose of the clap,lol

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #26
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

‘you cannot keep pumping out people at the current rate and expect the planet to be ok.‘
It’s called ‘mining the future’.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #27
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
People love talking about the hip new tech that will save the planet, but you rarely hear people talking about overpopulation which is a serious problem.
No matter how green technology is, you cannot keep pumping out people at the current rate and expect the planet to be ok.

That is why we have diseases i suppose, and wars, and famine and "Covid-19"
If humanity cannot be trusted with a simple thing like birth control, no matter what method to please each religion, race or creed then it seems that the Universe takes care of it for us!....its been happening from Earth's beginning, I call it day Zot!....

Cheers Billy.
Old 20-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Hippies operate in the "Environmental Universe", but they don't actually care about the environment.

Hippies push for the "recycling" of glass. Companies have to install glass crushers, bag up the glass, and pay for it to be trucked to Perth.
Where it is dumped into landfill because we nolonger recycle glass in Perth.
Their complaints against glass and plastic in landfills, is based on their belief that these substances never break-down. (Which means they would be perfectly safe in landfills) Instead, waste plastic is exported to asia, where it is mostly burnt as fuel.
LPG & LNG are much cleaner and have lower carbon emissions than coal, oil, petrol, but the Hippies don't care.
Yet point out to them, that their policies actually HURT the environment, and all you get is blank stares.

Hippies are fundamentally useless people. They don't want to work or contribute, yet unlike your typical bludger, they are obsessed with their own importance, the need to be "meaningful", and their desire to control others. So they set themselves up to become "environmental experts", activists, and "influencers."
A whole lot of unsubstantiated hate assertions and opinion. Where is your independent evidence for any of this crap? Remember hippies are and always were a minority group too.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-07-2021 at 12:15 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You might also want clarify what you mean by hippies given the diverse definitions: e.g. from https://www.thefreedictionary.com/hippy

Quote:
hippy - someone who rejects the established culturehippy - someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle
flower child, hippie, hipster
flower people, hippies, hipsters - a youth subculture (mostly from the middle class) originating in San Francisco in the 1960s; advocated universal love and peace and communes and long hair and soft drugs; favored acid rock and progressive rock music
crusader, meliorist, reformer, reformist, social reformer - a disputant who advocates reform
Perhaps you also have "greenies" or conservationist confused with hippies albeit there will be some intersection of these different groups. And the evidence that both global warming and climate change is a scientific fact in very clear and based on hard science consensus not murky opinions and assertions; read https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/ and https://www.inverse.com/science/6143...change-deniers etc

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-07-2021 at 12:32 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #30
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That’s not wot those nice misters Abbott and Joyce said.
They said climate change isn’t, and if it is it’s Labour’s fault. Or China’s.
Or Labor and China. Or something.
Anyway Scotty knows best because he’s a dorky dad.

Last edited by shedcoupe; 20-07-2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Brain explosion