Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
auc-05l
Starter Motor

Default LS Focus rough idle poor economy

Hi all,

I have a 2006 ford focus LS zetec automatic.

has been a problem child since we got it 3 months ago. I recently replaced the PCV valve and hose (hose had a massive split). This helped it idle lower round 800rpm, but now it stalls when using the aircon while stationary! the idles is unsteady and the fuel economy is also still rubbish 14L+ / 100kms.

when driving its fine but pulling up to a stop the rpm drop to about 400rpm before bouncing back up. if the aircon is on the engine really struggles to maintain a steady rpm.

any ideas what might be happening. i had one of these 8 years ago and it was awesome! this one has issues..... which are proving difficult to solve. There are no codes when i scan it. the car has 170k kms

any help is greatly appreciated
auc-05l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
auc-05l
Starter Motor

Default Re: LS Focus rough idle poor economy

Update: latest issue P2110 code and car goes into limp mode. i took out the TMAP sensor and cleaned it but it didnt help.

i find it curious how its all gone wrong after the massive vacuum leak from the PCV was fixed. Anyone else experienced this?
auc-05l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remove, clean & reinstall the idle control valve ?? There's a few videos on you tube that show the procedure.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
prumpfy
Starter Motor

Have had trouble in the past, with the 2006 LS focus fuel consumption. My posting in another forum section covers the matter. Look for my name to find it.
My problem was due to a faulty thermostat, which, because the car was used on short runs over a long period of time, allowed significant build up of crud in the throttle body, with the motor running cold. I believe this is a Focus problem.

Cleaning the throttle body fixed the problem, but the related matter of high revs on startup was not addressed. Will look into this soon.

prumpfy.
prumpfy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would also look for vacuum leaks in the various intake manifold tubes and the Exhaust gas reticulation valve given the age of the car
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one of these once and one day out of the blue upon fire up it revved up pretty hard tried all the usual fixes and gave up in frustration and dropped it of to a local mechanic. Turns out there is a s shaped hose behind the intake manifold which must be a vacuum hose of sorts this was blown out. After replacement it was as right as rain.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post