Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Boost leak

Man this vehicle...

Remember the time when I did the sump and had to remove the turbo charge pipe from the turbo to the plastic tubing to get it out of the way. Well on the road test it was a spot of a boost leak. That's fine I'll tighten the clamp more. And that was it it was all good.

Till last week, the missus tells me it's losing power feels jerky and the trans is whistling. I go for a test drive to see what's what and sure enough there's an issue.

There's a shoosh'ing (phonetically lol) noise, a boost leak so I suspect after these months the bloody small rubber joiner hose is to soft (I had my suspicions), it wasn't just that but it also showed signs of splitting on the ends of the inner silicon lining. So I go to ford (I try to support them where I can) and they come back with a stupid $350 price, I suspect they selected the moulded plastic charge pipe instead of the small ~70mm hose length. I try a few performance places, Perteck SCA Autobarn....nothing

It's an odd size and everyone is out of stock or doesn't stock it at all. I was suggested to try Hydraulink and low and behold they had said odd hose ID - 1" 5/8 or 41mm (I thought it were 40mm ID). He slices off a piece and says it's my lucky day, as it's under 100mm it's free. Too much paperwork for such a small size. I thank them and another guy behind the counter says " It's alright we'll just charge the next guy more..." and we all crack up. The original hose clamps were replaced with new and a test drive is underway.

This brings me to another niggling issue, on the test drive with the previous fix done I get out on the HWY and under acceleration I hear that whistling issue the missus was talking about in tune with the trans changing gear. It's not the trans at all. Remember the intake manifold cleaning I did to remove carbon, well I didn't get away with reusing the old seals/orings it's leaking boost up in the manifold and now I hear a louder shooshing up top in the engine bay. Price of two new hose clamps $13, Ford Gasket set $30.

Bugger me, the plastic charge pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold has just split probably from being disturbed from the previous job and with the larger boost leak fixed it's given up the ghost now. The split is just below the hose clamp but it's thin plastic and moulded to the pipe, it's all one piece. Red line is where the split is. The temporary fix for now to get it going till I source a replacement charge pipe is to cut off the clamp section right along the top of the cone where the split is.

Then to use an adaptor hose piece and clamp it below the cone neck. Don't get me wrong it's flimsy at that spot and you can't clamp it hard so I had to get it just right. The cone end actually sits ontop of the intake piece so it works in my favour. I add a new SS hose clamp and give it a test to see if it'll do for now and it holds a full boost acceleration on the HWY but the intake gaskets are moaning lol. Ford want $280 and I'm trying to get word back from a wreckers, but seems it's dead on the other end.

Hose adaptor $13

SS Clamp $8

New Hose clamp to be put on at this stage.

It has been driving great this past week so the missus says but it's only for the city limits till it's been replaced.

and the Intake Manifold Gasket kit has arrived. Let this be the end of any niggling issues and get back to trouble free motoring.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Boost leak

Just looking at the pipework doesn't fill me with confidence as to its durability. I hope you have trouble-free motoring for a while.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

neither do I feel it too. I've just redone the clamps again and a little tighter too. It held up well with me and three kids and many acceleration runs with a heavier foot each time till I were at 3/4 pedal. It'll do for now till I get a replacement. At least the vehicle is still usable atm.

On a good note I have finally squared away the Intake Manifold Gasket and it's as new. No leaks no whistling/moaning sounds, lovely. The Orings and seals were green this time and there's a big difference in height on clamping it down I'm happy with the result and it didn't take long to get it off, clean, redress and reassemble.

About 2hrs inc. degreasing and cleaning more of the intake tract (engine side). Happy as Larry but want that charge pipe asap.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Have the same engine in my Focus - I've got a damaged intake pipe which is obsolete, the one going from the airbox to the turbo inlet.

Most of my charge piping from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold I had done in stainless steel with silicone joiners joining them up years ago by an exhaust shop.

I think I've developed a boost leak as well though, car has been down on power the last couple days and its bogging down around 2000 RPM, have to check all my hose clamps and silicone joiners.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Well after an appalling no show of several wreckers to respond to enquiries, I bought it from Ford Brisbane, it's squared away and back to normal.

Here you can see what I cut off.

A comparison of the two

and job done

This is my last repair on this vehicle and probably my last post on FF.au. It's going for a RWC, time to move on. Thanks to everyone involved with this Forum and in particular this section. It has been my pleasure to help out where I could and a god save where I've needed help myself.

Hats off to you all boys (and gals) you've been wonderful and helpful way beyond the manufacturer ever has been. That and this vehicle has been a dead-set legend, turns out choosing the slushbox was a wise decision. Served the family well, in safety, with comfort and fuel economy that's bested the lot in the segment IMO. Time to upgrade naturally as ownership gets on. This has been my 4th Ford, who knows if it'll be my last but time for a change. Keep the section going, it's a great place.

Last edited by cobrin; 19-06-2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: direct links
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear that; you will be missed. You can still drop in now and then to check on us.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Old 25-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #7
Mondaveo

Aw shucks, this is sorrowful reading as I've really been entertained by cobrin's posts here and the helpful instructions for DIY repairs and maintenance. I've been filing away for present and future reference and "just in case" - haven't had to tackle anything so esoteric as vacuum valves or boost pipework, though that timing belt is still a clear and present danger...

I'd like to say you won't find a better all-round dynamic and capable car than the Mondy in today's market either - being as SUVs are the predominant nowadays - but I'll concede 10 years of advancement must probably get you a trendier interior or nicer door handles or something that tickles some fancy...

Thanks cobrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post

I'd like to say you won't find a better all-round dynamic and capable car than the Mondy in today's market either - being as SUVs are the predominant nowadays - but I'll concede 10 years of advancement must probably get you a trendier interior or nicer door handles or something that tickles some fancy...

Thanks cobrin
I have driven almost every mid size SUV as a rental, plus a friend's Tiguan, and am yet to find anything that drives as well as my MB. The current RAV4 comes the closest, but I still prefer the Mondeo.

The Skoda Superb perhaps, but I am still reluctant to buy anything from the VAG group after Dieselgate. But I should do something soon before diesel engines disappear completely from cars.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Old 29-06-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Thanks guys, I'll endeavour to pop in and check things out from time to time.