Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford trademarks Skyline name in the USA.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/22/...ine-trademark/
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford trademarks Skyline name in the USA.

Don’t know why it’s skyline, and not skyliner. Like they used in the 50’s and 60’s.

And surely with nissan having the rights to use it on a car, it must be for something other than a vehicle. Maybe some kind of optional roof accessory or something?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Don’t know why it’s skyline, and not skyliner. Like they used in the 50’s and 60’s.

And surely with nissan having the rights to use it on a car, it must be for something other than a vehicle. Maybe some kind of optional roof accessory or something?

dunno why they would either .... bit like Kluger/Kuga and if it's a 'vehicle' that will be weird
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #4
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

I read a couple of articles Nissan don't have the rights to the Skyline name in the USA. In the USA Skyline were sold as the Infinity Q35.

Ford ran into a similar situation here with the Edge name. I believe Toyota has the rights to that name in Australia and why we ended up with the Endura name.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

Next thing ya know they'll be claiming and patenting UGG or " don't come the raw shrimp with me ".....lol,
Both great Aussie sayings, or maybe the gene that makes a pig a pig?...true, it's done!.....fair dinkum, every pig is now patented to an American company, if ya grow a pig ya have to pay them a royalty??....true....

Billy Cheers.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Next thing ya know they'll be claiming and patenting UGG or " don't come the raw shrimp with me ".....lol,
Both great Aussie sayings, or maybe the gene that makes a pig a pig?...true, it's done!.....fair dinkum, every pig is now patented to an American company, if ya grow a pig ya have to pay them a royalty??....true....

Billy Cheers.
Wasn't that already tried with the Ugg boots a few years ago?

I dated a Chinese girl for a while and she was telling me that Ugg boots in China were referred to as 'You Gee Gee' boots.

When I tried to correct the name she wanted to know why all of Australia was calling them by their incorrect name...

Regarding the Skyline - from what I understood the original Godzilla cars were not allowed to be sold in the USA so I guess there would have been no issues with the Skyline TM.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
slowsnake
Banned

The owner of UGG Australia is in the American High Court right now after a yank company patented the name!..in Australia it's generic, but he sells online but not to America, and the deceptive American company ordered a pair, then bang, gotcha, and sued him!

Anyone who runs an online retail business knows that they sell X amount of product, but dont know every customers details, mostly computerised now.

Chilly Beers

Last edited by slowsnake; 25-07-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Abbott a bit
Old 25-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Marketing ploy? Stops Nissan using it in the US, although, quite often names are trademarked without being used.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
slowsnake
Banned

Check this out!

Biotech Company To Patent Pigs
from the bring-home-the-bacon dept.
Anonymous Swine writes
Monsanto, a US based multinational biotech company, is causing a stir by its plan to patent pig-breeding techniques including the claim on animals born by the techniques. 'Agricultural experts are scrambling to assess how these patents might affect the market, while consumer activists warn that if the company is granted pig-related patents, on top of its tight rein on key feed and food crops, its control over agriculture could be unprecedented. "We're afraid that Monsanto and other big companies are getting control of the world's genetic resources," said Christoph Then, a patent expert with Greenpeace in Germany. The patent applications, filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization, are broad in scope, and are expected to take several years and numerous rewrites before approval.'

Chilly Beers
Old 25-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I read a couple of articles Nissan don't have the rights to the Skyline name in the USA. In the USA Skyline were sold as the Infinity Q35.

Ford ran into a similar situation here with the Edge name. I believe Toyota has the rights to that name in Australia and why we ended up with the Endura name.
It’s not like a lot of americans don’t know what a nissan skyline is. Ford would get laughed at for releasing a Ford Skyline.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post