Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Recirculating Heater???

This is listed as a Build Option for the WQ, but what actually is it?

Does it just refer to the ability to recirculate air within the cabin?
(Something cars have had for about 50 years?)
Why list it? Is there a scenario where it would not be fitted?

Now, apart from idle curiosity, the reason I ask is that my XR4 has always had an irritating issue.
The heater can never be completely shut off. So even when the ambient air is relatively cool, it blows warm.
It's annoying when the weather is turning, and I'd be happy with just ambient air on my face (I always like coolish air blowing on my face) but instead it blows warm. Not hot, but noticeably above ambient.

So according to the dealership, this was a "European" feature supposedly designed to stop the heater freezing in Winter and splitting. (Supposedly it might otherwise be possible in sub-zero climates if you inadvertently ran the A/C to defrost without turning the heat up??)

Of course it's entirely possible they were simply lying through their teeth.

Has anyone else come across this?

Either way, does the XR4 use a heater tap that I could easily replace?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Recirculating Heater???

The dealer isn't quite right. There was an option for an electric booster heater for diesel engine vehicles only in some markets.

Have a read of the HVAC section of the manual in the tech portal as it's more likely to be a blend issue and you can probably rectify it. There won't be a heater tap (although you could install an in-line one if you wanted) because blending is done in the module itself.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Have a read of the HVAC section of the manual in the tech portal
Thanks Russ, I sometimes forget what great resources you have there.

It says
Quote:
Vehicles without A/C do not feature Recirculation Control
Whilst I don't fully understand their use of the terminology, that would seem to explain the presence of this as a build option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
There won't be a heater tap (although you could install an in-line one if you wanted) because blending is done in the module itself.
This is something I don't understand about modern vehicles, where they say there is no heater tap, it's done by blending. Does that mean the heater core is always hot??
Looking at the diagram, I can see that the flow of ambient (or chilled) air, vs heated, is controlled by a door. So it's conceivable that it is not fully closing.

But looking at the diagram, I also wonder at the radiation of heat. If that heater core is running full-time, that whole box is going to get warm.

Perhaps this is what the dealer was trying to explain? That the core runs all the time (to prevent freezing and/or other issues) and so there is no way to turn it off or completely eliminate 100% of the heat?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It effectively means the heater box always has water flow through it but it is also well enough insulated that there is almost no radiant heat from it so it will be the blend door most likely.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post