Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #31
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Re: Need advice on which used Ford (or not) family car to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Thanks for the input. MA and MB too old imo

MC - Now I remember why I never got one myself. The duratec mazda based 2.3 isn't solid and the 2L ecoboost (zetec?) had powershift

The new TC gearbox (ford and GM project that ford used for the fusion and maybe mondeo) came out in 2012. Not sure if any MCs got them anyway.

If I was going to look into a mondeo (say I wanted a wagon) I'd only look at MDs. Out of budget anyway - try get a cheap BMW LOL

No petrol Mondeo got powershift transmission.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #32
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eco boost petrol with powershift right here:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...9794819/?Cr=17

And here:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19941173/?Cr=1

Last edited by oldel; 08-07-2021 at 09:33 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #33
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I stand corrected.
I’m pretty sure it would share the diesels wet clutch set up which is generally pretty good if looked after.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #34
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh FFS!

Yeah, don't buy ANY Ford, because the Edsel was ****. It was called a Ford, so obviously anything else called a Ford must be identical

In fact, whilst you're at it don't buy any car, because they all have transmissions, and apparently all transmissions are ****

I'd suggest buying an Electric car, but the window motor in my Territory shat itself, so obviously all electric motors are sus.

Thee transmission in the Mondeo is nothing like the ones that caused the problem. Completely different design, completely different functionality.

PS: The latter "Duratec"s, and the larger "Ecoboost"s are same basic engine, all based on the "Mazda L" engine, an engine so good that Ford kept the rights when they divested Mazda.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 08-07-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #35
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No reason to get upset, no one else is. I looked hard into them in a past life (when my ex trashed our old VZ eventually due to neglect and wanted my help picking a new car for her and our kid). I didn't mind the mondeo, it's got low resale value and my auntie and uncle had one since new.
Probably nothing wrong with them when younger, but a sub $10k, high km older dsg was a turn off. It was as simple as that. I looked into MCs and didn't like the 2.3L and found out the ecoboost had DSG which wasn't preferable - for her and me.
DSG IMO - cheap for the auto maker, might use less fuel too. But the s/h buyer doesn't care about that, they prefer longevity and ease of service/repair.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #36
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Oh FFS!

Yeah, don't buy ANY Ford, because the Edsel was ****. It was called a Ford, so obviously anything else called a Ford must be identical

In fact, whilst you're at it don't buy any car, because they all have transmissions, and apparently all transmissions are ****

I'd suggest buying an Electric car, but the window motor in my Territory shat itself, so obviously all electric motors are sus.

Thee transmission in the Mondeo is nothing like the ones that caused the problem. Completely different design, completely different functionality.

PS: The latter "Duratec"s, and the larger "Ecoboost"s are same basic engine, all based on the "Mazda L" engine, an engine so good that Ford kept the rights when they divested Mazda.
It is more than fair to discount a used car based on a history of higher maintenance or failed components.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #37
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

At that age and kilometers I would only have a Falcon wagon on the list. Otherwise, go grab a V6 Carnival and enjoy the space and comfort.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #38
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
I have a MC Mondeo with the Duratec 2.3 litre petrol engine and i must say its a ripper.
its a hatchback no transmission problems and still going strong with nearly 380,000ks on the clock.
The engine is still all original except for a few pully's and belts on the Air Con and a new power steering pump and water pump.

We as my wife and i brought the Mondeo new and still more then happy with it.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #39
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want cargo carrying capacity, Ford Territory, petrol, RWD, 4-speed auto. Simplest of the lot, and one of the best ride-handling combinations. Biggest issue is that you will probably be up for $2K in suspension bushes. I would say budget for that and the car will get a new lease of life.

Falcon wagons are also a good option, but getting harder to find. Rear suspension are leaf springs (nothing to go wrong), but a bit primitive.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #40
Swordie

Skoda Superb sedan or wagon is another car.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #41
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Am sure we would all be interested to hear what you settled on?, when you finally do, good luck HMC.

Plenty of Falcons/Fairmonts of all guises here:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/falcon/

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/for...adge/?offset=0

Looks like "Rosie" has moved on already, I am not at all surprised though

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 12-07-2021 at 09:53 PM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So OP, did we answer your questions satisfactory or are you in the corner rocking back and forth now that you've been given eleventy bazillion contradictory responses and made it even worse than went you went into this
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #43
HMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
So OP, did we answer your questions satisfactory or are you in the corner rocking back and forth now that you've been given eleventy bazillion contradictory responses and made it even worse than went you went into this
LOL. No I've been busy putting a new Ranger XLT in my driveway. Finally got it home yesterday.

I've got some reading to do in this thread. Give me a day or so.

Thanks to all who replied.
HMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #44
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
It is more than fair to discount a used car based on a history of higher maintenance or failed components.
Old 22-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #45
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As you read through the thread, you should come to realise that some posters are simply spuds posting nonsense. Weed those out, and you're half way there.

Basically any of the three cars you mentioned are a good option.
Keep in mind that any 2nd-hand car will require money to be spent, and they are becoming more expensive, not less

If you want a Wagon, the Mondeo is a good option. They are good cars, nicely built, nice to drive, and relatively economical. Nothing wrong with the trannies or the engines.
I was shopping for one for a long time. The only reason we didn't get one is that most of them were base-models, and in typical Ford fashion they'd made them deliberately nasty. I was hunting for a reasonably priced Titanium, but they were rare and I missed out on a couple.

Territories are great cars, but again there are several things that need repairing and if you don't DIY, then it can get expensive.
I wouldn't look at anything earlier than SY2, and if looking at an SZ, I would avoid the ("part-time") AWD.
Whether you prefer a Petrol or Diesel is very much a personal preference. The Barra in either a Terri or Falcon will outperform all other options, but that presumably is not your highest priority. I would personally lean towards the Barra simply because of the relative simplicity, abundance of spares, breadth of knowledge, and ease of repairs.

Falcons (and I6 Terris) would be the thirstiest of the bunch, but there is always the option of LPG.
In a Wagon you're stuck with BFs, and nothing under 10 years old. They were a good, dependable car. The back end remained decidedly agricultural, but on the plus side there are no diff-bushes to replace.
A Falcon sedan would offer you the most options, without the versatility of the Wagon. Depending on kms, your budget should find an FG2, possibly a G6, and with a choice of ecoLPi or even ecoBoost.
Old 22-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #46
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Really?

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 09:20 PM   #47
HMC

Hi all

Been quite a few months since I first started this thread. Thought I'd post an update. Decided on an SZ Territory with the 2.7 Diesel engine. RWD. Managed to find a decent one for a reasonable price. Been a bit over a week since I've had the car and so far liking it quite a bit.

Thanks to all who helped.

Regards

HMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
Hi all

Been more than three decades since I last owned a Ford, when I lived in the northern hemisphere. My car-experience since moving down-under some 15 years ago has basically been centred around Korean and Japanese cars, and a Holden.

I'm thinking of switching to Ford. This time a used one. Need your advice on what to get, and what to avoid.

Back-story is that I'll be getting a new Ranger XLT dual-cab ute, and wanted to also get a Ford as a family car, to transport the kids around. The Ranger will accommodate the kids with no problems, provided we drive no longer than a 100kms, which is about the distance I'd be able to cover before the kids start a fight in the backseat. I'm thinking of something that'll take us in comfort from Brissy to Sydney.

So... need something with a bit more leg-room in the back. Also something that my wife's going to be happy to drive. Bonus if it's something that sits a bit higher off the ground.

But above all, it needs to be fairly reliable as a 10+ year old car.

Here's what I've looked at so far:

- 2009 to 2013 model years
- Between $7000 and $12000
- Mileage: < 200,000 kms
- SY and SZ Territory (diesel)
- Mondeo wagons (diesel)
- FG Falcons

So far, I'm finding that the Territory and Falcons are most likely to have issues costing around $2000 to fix.

Not sure about the Mondeos.

Ford Focus is too small, so haven't considered it. In fact, I'd argue that the Mondeo might also be too small for our needs.

Any advice? Or should I not be considering a Ford?
HMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: