Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Froger
Starter Motor

Default Festiva Trio not starting after running

As in title I have a 1999 WF Festiva Trio 1300 ..
Starts no worries when I leave home runs fine , get to where i'm going 15 minutes later turn it off do what I have to do hit the key turns over doesn't start , try to start a couple of times still no start , let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes starts again... Some days it doesn't have any troubles at all ..
This showed up after the Heavy rain we had recently , but I sprayed the dizzy and an all other connection with WD40 and it started , next time it stopped and I sprayed again it didn't start
I plan on taking some electrical wire with alligator clips and connect to the coil lead unplugged at dizzy to check for spark when I turn it over when it does it again ...

Do these cars have a fuel filter that maybe clogging up ?
Could the coil be close to Fried ?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it's great running little car Regularly Maintained .

Cheers ALL
Froger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
adyadad

Default Re: Festiva Trio not starting after running

It may be a long shot but I used to have a Mazda that did exactly this. Turned out it was voltage drop in the starting circuit. I had a relay put in to make sure I got 12 volts from the key (small wire onto starter solenoid) and never had a problem again.

Last edited by adyadad; 23-04-2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: error
adyadad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Froger
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyadad View Post
It may be a long shot but I used to have a Mazda that did exactly this. Turned out it was voltage drop in the starting circuit. I had a relay put in to make sure I got 12 volts from the key (small wire onto starter solenoid) and never had a problem again.
Thanks adyadad will look at that for sure ..
Froger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
adyadad

The older the car, the more likelihood of voltage drop. It's an easy job to do yourself. Just a normal small Bosch relay, some wire and connectors. 10 minutes max.
adyadad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Sounds like a possible dizzy module to me, that is if the cap and rotor are ok?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: