Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
HMC

Default Need advice on which used Ford (or not) family car to get

Hi all

Been more than three decades since I last owned a Ford, when I lived in the northern hemisphere. My car-experience since moving down-under some 15 years ago has basically been centred around Korean and Japanese cars, and a Holden.

I'm thinking of switching to Ford. This time a used one. Need your advice on what to get, and what to avoid.

Back-story is that I'll be getting a new Ranger XLT dual-cab ute, and wanted to also get a Ford as a family car, to transport the kids around. The Ranger will accommodate the kids with no problems, provided we drive no longer than a 100kms, which is about the distance I'd be able to cover before the kids start a fight in the backseat. I'm thinking of something that'll take us in comfort from Brissy to Sydney.

So... need something with a bit more leg-room in the back. Also something that my wife's going to be happy to drive. Bonus if it's something that sits a bit higher off the ground.

But above all, it needs to be fairly reliable as a 10+ year old car.

Here's what I've looked at so far:

- 2009 to 2013 model years
- Between $7000 and $12000
- Mileage: < 200,000 kms
- SY and SZ Territory (diesel)
- Mondeo wagons (diesel)
- FG Falcons

So far, I'm finding that the Territory and Falcons are most likely to have issues costing around $2000 to fix.

Not sure about the Mondeos.

Ford Focus is too small, so haven't considered it. In fact, I'd argue that the Mondeo might also be too small for our needs.

Any advice? Or should I not be considering a Ford?
HMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Electrolyte Burns

Default Re: Need advice on which used Ford (or not) family car to get

A Falcon wagon would be perfect. Tons of room, well within your price range.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte Burns View Post
A Falcon wagon would be perfect. Tons of room, well within your price range.
Thats not a bad suggestion. They were made up untill 2010 from memory, no irs so none of the they all do that flogged out rear cradle. Plus in futura trim theyre not too bad comfort wise. They lack on the tech side of things, but thats all up to if a persons a button pusher or not.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every car costs money. Every car requires maintenance. Every used car will require repairs at some point.
If someone is a perfectionist, but also completely reliant on others to do their maintenance, then my advice is to buy a car still under warranty, and sell it when the warranty runs out.

If you don't want all the mod-cons, and you don't mind your car having character, and you know enough to not get fleeced on repairs (or better yet can do some yourself) then buying used is an economical option.

A Falcon or Territory is a good choice. Not only does ownership elevate you in the minds of people who matter (ie other Ford Owners) but they represent excellent bang for buck, and are comparatively cheap to repair, with an extensive knowledge-base.

Depending on the age and number of children a 7-seat Terri is a great option. It allows plenty of separation and personal space, and can also do double duty for school-runs, etc. However the rearmost seats are best suited to those with short-legs.
You will also find that, of the option, the Terri is the most preferred by mums. I would restrict your search to SY2 onwards. SZ gives the option of diesel, which is a lot more economical, but also more costly to repair.

The problem with Falcon wagons is firstly that they never changed the suspension, since the 1960's. Still cart springs. Which is great if you want to carry or tow a heavy load.
Secondly, they never made an FG wagon, but continued selling the BF, mostly in poverty-pack trim.
And lastly, they are the most "tankish" and so least favoured by the fairer gender.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

How about this

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...se-ad-7309568/

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
bb_zetec

Being a devils advocate here...I love Ford and have Fords but because no FG wagon was released we had a VE and now a Holden VF wagon for daily/touring duties.

Plenty of room, stylish and the rear seats fold all the way down to make a huge cargo area.

VF evoke may be in your price range too as per the below.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-19670980

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
Being a devils advocate here...I love Ford and have Fords but because no FG wagon was released we had a VE and now a Holden VF wagon for daily/touring duties.

Plenty of room, stylish and the rear seats fold all the way down to make a huge cargo area.

VF evoke may be in your price range too as per the below.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-19670980
Just don’t get a v6, and all the chain stretch problems that go with it. Unbelievably common issue. I’ve even heard of cars doing it again within a couple years of it being fixed the first time. Horrible design fault.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:33 PM   #8
bb_zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Just don’t get a v6, and all the chain stretch problems that go with it. Unbelievably common issue. I’ve even heard of cars doing it again within a couple years of it being fixed the first time. Horrible design fault.
The series 1 VE alloytec had that issue with single row chains used that were poor quality. I'd steer clear of those early ones.

The VE2 LLT SIDI and 3.0 LFW and 3.6l LFX in the VF does not have that problem.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
You don't want a car with ridiculous high mileage.

Used car prices are grossly inflated at moment. I'd hold off.. you will get a dud car for anything under $15k.

I wouldn't buy a car with more than 200,000km and expect any sort of reliability. People will be selling because they want to pass on the problems to someone else. If the car is good, they will keep it. Will end up costing you more with all the maintenance .. spend more up front and get a low mileage example, far less likely to encounter problems
Average of 18,000km per year is not a "ridiculous high mileage" and reliability is greatly dependant on good maintenance, scheduled maintenance is essential for any car, regardless of mileage, correctly maintained, as it has to date, it will be good for another 250,000km at least, and at $7500, OP would be getting a lot of car for the money

Not that I am biased in any way of coarse

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 07-07-2021 at 02:50 PM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF11GhiaZF6 View Post
Average of 18,000km per year is not a "ridiculous high mileage"
It is when some wally is asking $7.5K, and you can get a decent FG for about half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF11GhiaZF6 View Post
at $7500, OP would be getting a lot of car for the money

No, pretty much the exact opposite.

Bizarrely, there are still people who think that their 15 year old is still worth twice that of the otherwise identical car next door, because it has a different badge on the boot, or because 15 years ago it had a few minor different features.

It's one of the reasons it took me so long to get into a Territory, and why we never bought a Mondeo.
In the end, I decided I wanted the Turbo, and by the SY2 that meant a TTG, so that's what I got. But otherwise you'd have to be nuts to pay what they were asking for the so-called luxury versions.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

BF3 wagons only come in povo pack trim, thats why they dropped the XT badge as there was no Futura option.
It would still be my pick though as despite the agricultural rear suspension design its still less hassle than owning a Falcon/Territory IRS.

What about a ZD Escape?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
Hi all

Not sure about the Mondeos.

Ford Focus is too small, so haven't considered it. In fact, I'd argue that the Mondeo might also be too small for our needs.

Any advice? Or should I not be considering a Ford?
Don't rule the Mondeo out, it's bigger than you think and not far off a Falcon. And don't rule out the Mondeo hatch (sedan shaped) as the boot in those is huge.

MA, MB and MC Mondeo's are excellent highway cruisers.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #13
slowsnake
Banned

All I have to say is whatever you do buy make sure you get the upgrade model!
ie..Fairmont or Ghia
I have a 2000 AU2 Fairmont, 400,000 klm, its feels like it has 4,000,000 klm but after 11 years of the 21 years being in my possession, I still climb into a "Fairmont" everyday!....not a Falcon, and all my passengers still comment about the woodgrain dash panels.....that's called CLASS...

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pass on Mondeo because its got that Powercrapola DSG box - unless you can drive manual, then consider XR5 Turbo Mondeo

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7261947/?Cr=1

MB XR5 Turbo would be better as it has a few more niceties like HID headlights, but given the price and low kilometers on some MA's circulating the market these are a good buy.

Lots of leg room in the back too, its a little narrower than a Falcon.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-07-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pass on Mondeo because its got that Powercrapola DSG box -
Mondeo diesel is wet clutch. While there may have been the odd issue here and there, their reliability record is actually pretty good. All Ford diesels got the wet clutch version.

As mentioned above, an MC Mondeo titanium is a lot of car and a great cruiser. May be able to find one in the budget.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Mondeo diesel is wet clutch. While there may have been the odd issue here and there, their reliability record is actually pretty good. All Ford diesels got the wet clutch version.

As mentioned above, an MC Mondeo titanium is a lot of car and a great cruiser. May be able to find one in the budget.
I'm still very suspect - Yellow_Festiva bought one in the lighter Focus and had some epic problems - risky second hand buy compared to something with a regular slushbox.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Just to add to your post, the 2.3 petrol was mated to a normal torque converter 6 speed auto.

Our MC Titanium with the Ecoboost had a wet clutch Powershift, it was flawless.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to say, the last gen on mondeo had a standard t/c auto and that would be my pick too. Cheap because no one wants them, 2013+ I think for t/c auto, so look for the petrol MD model?
Roomy inside, more features, less susp issues than falcons.

E: Can't find any out there less than $15k, you might need to do more research on the trans that the MC used. I know MDs are safe, but can't remember about MCs

Last edited by oldel; 06-07-2021 at 10:26 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:33 AM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pass on Mondeo because its got that Powercrapola DSG box -
No, the Mondeo has the larger (older style) hydraulic box, originally developed by Volvo and Getrag. It uses hydraulic shifting and wet clutches. It was developed to handle torquey diesel engines. I've driven a few, with varying kilometres, and never found a problem.

The problematic powershart boxes were lightweight units developed for the small guys. They use electric actuators and clutches that are meant to be dry but then get oiled when the engine seals fail.

The MC and MD Mondeos were a good piece of kit. We almost bought a diesel wagon.
The only problems were that as usual FoA refused to do any marketing, and didn't offer the best engines in Aus, and again as usual persisted with trying to sell three different trim levels of basically the same car.
So the MC base model interior had a nasty interior, steel wheels, and a last century ICC.
The mid spec model was just plain pointless
And the Titanium, whilst a very nice car, was simply overpriced

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 07-07-2021 at 03:01 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #20
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The Mondeo isn’t a bad drive and a late model one can be well equipped.
I’ve got a BA Wagon and an SZ II Territory petrol. The Territory feels smaller as it’s quite a bit shorter and is far easier to park thanks to front and rear park sensors and reverse camera. It also has Bluetooth and sat nav that any Falcon wagon will not.
The Territory is still a great family and road trip car. It is now starting to lack some of the current tech but it’s still a great drive.
However, it’s not perfect as far as maintenance goes. Expect to replace diff bushes and ball joints every 100,000km which can cost $2000.
Also be aware that the diesel Territory also has 2 timing belts with the front one due at 165,000km ($1100) and the rear at 240,000km ($600).
The petrol engine has zero maintenance issues and is rock solid. But does use a little more fuel. My petrol Territory is currently sitting on 10.3 L/100km but does mostly highway driving with an average speed of 58 km/h.
My wife has driven Territory’s since 2006 and loves them. The first one was written off due to a collision with a Camry. My wife and daughter walked away unharmed but the Camry driver went off in an ambulance.

My pick would be a SZ or SZ II petrol Territory as they are more reliable than the diesels. Or an ecoboost Mondeo.
I believe all the ecoboost Mondeos are tc autos. The wet duel clutch was only in the diesels.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post

I believe all the ecoboost Mondeos are tc autos. The wet duel clutch was only in the diesels.
MA Mondeo automatics were all 6 speed torque converter automatics.

MB Mondeo, petrol engines had the torque converter, diesels had the wet Powershift although some early MB's diesels had the TC auto.

MC Mondeo The base 2.3 petrol had the TC auto. Ecoboost and Diesel's had a wet Powershift.

MD Mondeo (2015-2020) Ecoboost had a torque converter automatic, diesel had a wet Powershift.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #22
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
MA Mondeo automatics were all 6 speed torque converter automatics.

MB Mondeo, petrol engines had the torque converter, diesels had the wet Powershift although some early MB's diesels had the TC auto.

MC Mondeo The base 2.3 petrol had the TC auto. Ecoboost and Diesel's had a wet Powershift.

MD Mondeo (2015-2020) Ecoboost had a torque converter automatic, diesel had a wet Powershift.
Thanks for the input. MA and MB too old imo
MC - Now I remember why I never got one myself. The duratec mazda based 2.3 isn't solid and the 2L ecoboost (zetec?) had powershift
The new TC gearbox (ford and GM project that ford used for the fusion and maybe mondeo) came out in 2012. Not sure if any MCs got them anyway.

If I was going to look into a mondeo (say I wanted a wagon) I'd only look at MDs. Out of budget anyway - try get a cheap BMW LOL
Old 08-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #23
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Thanks for the input. MA and MB too old imo

MC - Now I remember why I never got one myself. The duratec mazda based 2.3 isn't solid and the 2L ecoboost (zetec?) had powershift

The new TC gearbox (ford and GM project that ford used for the fusion and maybe mondeo) came out in 2012. Not sure if any MCs got them anyway.

If I was going to look into a mondeo (say I wanted a wagon) I'd only look at MDs. Out of budget anyway - try get a cheap BMW LOL

No petrol Mondeo got powershift transmission.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #24
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eco boost petrol with powershift right here:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...9794819/?Cr=17

And here:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19941173/?Cr=1

Last edited by oldel; 08-07-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:42 PM   #25
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Latest RWD Petrol Territory.
Unbeatable value.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/for...km-kilometres/

Last edited by Mont5.0; 07-07-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Mont5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #26
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

why do you think the Ranger is going to be a problem for the kids? outside of a Falcon/Territory you are not going to find another Ford with more leg room than a dual ab Ranger
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #27
Swordie

I'd go for Territory petrol. Less risk of costly repairs compared to diesel. Diesels in general are suited to long runs.

It's also worth investigating the Kluger.

If you don't need SUV Falcon G6 / G6E and Holden Calais V sedan / wagon.
Swordie is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Well HMC you certainly got your question answered!..lol

Now you just have to " take your pick "...lol..good luck with that !

Cheers King Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If he’s clever, he will have posted a similar “insert brand” question across multiple forums, rapidly generating pages and pages of opinions to filter.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #30
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If he’s clever, he will have posted a similar “insert brand” question across multiple forums, rapidly generating pages and pages of opinions to filter.
And by the time his/her mind is made up the car chosen will be a "classic" or much in demand vehicle!...lol
Of course my last post was tongue in cheek, but there is going to be an awful lot of research on the part of HMC, and its always the same for the rest of us or anyone purchasing a new or second hand car, especially sticking to just one model, that being a Ford!

Cheers King Billy