Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auto Inhibitor Switch

Hi all

I'm have the Falcon for sale and I want to have it all Mickey Mouse before it goes

It won't start in Park unless you move the selector between Park and Reverse

It'll start in Neutral. If I put the instrument cluster into diagnostic mode it shows the correct gear selection. I assume it's the inhibitor switch... I pulled the cover off the selector but it's not there - where is it and how hard is it to change out? How much should I expect to pay 2nd hand? It's a cop car and clicks from 3rd to 2nd without pressing the button - hopefully that's unrelated to the switch?

Cheers

TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The Inhibitor switch is on the passenger side of the transmission sort of near the bellhousing. You'll have to jack up the car or drive it onto some stands to get to it. It has a little metal shield covering it. It's a very easy job, should take no longer than 5 minutes to replace. I paid about $100 from Ford spare parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

all autos click from 3 rd to 2nd without pushing the button
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
all autos click from 3 rd to 2nd without pushing the button
Really? i was told otherwise. Oh well I guess I look like an idiot.

Kenaz - thanks I'll give it a go on the weekend.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

well every car ive ever driven has had it
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
dansince86

wouldnt it depend whether u have a 3sp or 4spd? i have a 3sp which does thta, i wouldnt think i 4 spd would go between D/3/2 all with out button pressed in!

anyone got the facts :P

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
daz82
In the family since 1996

you should only need to press the button to go from P to R. then also 2 to 1. and on the way back up, D to N and N to R/P. if u still have the original manual its in there.
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
phorj
'97 EL Fairmont

Old post I know but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82
you should only need to press the button to go from P to R. then also 2 to 1. and on the way back up, D to N and N to R/P. if u still have the original manual its in there.
My EL 4 speed auto...
P - R - N - D All need the button pressed (both directions)
D - 3 No button pressing required
3 - 2 - 1 All need the button pressed (both directions)

Done this way to aid towing (AFAIK)

Somthings either broken, or it's a COP 'feature'
phorj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
asher4
Starter Motor

Default Re: Auto Inhibitor Switch

The Inhibitor switch is on the passenger side of the transmission sort of near the bellhousing. You'll have to jack up the car or drive it onto some stands to get to it. It has a little metal shield covering it. It's a very easy job, should take no longer than 5 minutes to replace. I paid about $100 from Ford spare parts.

i rang ethridge ford today wed 22 to price an inhibitor switch they are in ringwood melbourne they quoted me $190.00 i now know why everyone says fraud not ford.
asher4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post