Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What's my car worth? (private sale)

Hey guys and gals

I am tossing up the idea of selling my EL in the near future and I'm wondering what do you think I could get for it? I can't stand driving it anymore, when I was doing less driving it wasn't a problem but I really hate driving it now. If it's worth less than 4 grand I will just keep it and keep saving the deposit for a new car, otherwise I will sell it and buy now.

The good:

135,000 kays. Babied it's whole life.
Healthy and regularly serviced motor, transmission serviced regularly.
New radiator, hoses & heavy duty transmission cooler in the last 3 months. Doesn't run hot.
Showroom condition interior with trip computer, new stereo and speakers. Lots of Fairmont trim items added. There is virtually no wear on anything, all the buttons still have their painted symbols etc. Steering wheel & seats mint, no wear. Still got 6 months reg. Has all the books, cassette, sales brochures.

The bad: needs front rotors & pads, lots of creaks and squeaks from the suspension... not that I would advertise that. A few scrapes and stone chips on the exterior but still scrubs up well.

Old 16-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What's my car worth? (private sale)

honestly 3200-4k is my opinion

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Kryton

$1500 on a good day.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to say without seeing it in the flesh, but if I had to make preliminary comments...

Good:
* Appears to be a Series II (PAB, Sapphire model)
* Low kms!
* Paintwork appears to be in excellent condition.
* Interior well cared for.
* Non-yellowed headlights.

Not so good:
* Pin-striping looks to be 'interrupted' in parts
* Drivers side bottom seal hanging out the door?
* Brake pedal rubber looks worn?
* If suspension / bushes are noisy or worn as you say, a test drive will reveal and give reason to negotiate.
* Obligatory drivers side wiper arm paint wear.

I'd say with roadworthy and rego, anywhere between $2200 - $2800.

My 2c!
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

ITS A NICE CAR , BUT NO DOUBT HAS FAULTS . $1500-2K max .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbl
honestly 3200-4k is my opinion
50% of the above max

A member here struggled to get $2500 for an EL 5lt ghia a few months back.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
AU Mont
Banned

looks to be a tidy example

if you get $2000 for it with RWC and rego, youve had a good day in my opinion
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
nstg8a

There's a el Gli and a el ghia at the cheapie yard down the road from me, for $2450 and $2950 respectively, both drive away. Both cars I'd say are well and truly in the top tier condition wise. Very tidy cars. Another dealer has a mint ef ghia, full optioned for 4k and has had it for close to a year.

If dealer pricing is like that then private you would be doing well to match them.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Mad Drummer
EF XR6

id pay between 2500 to 3500, the suspension is pritty much the only really bad thing you have listed, most others that people had noted are cosmetic, and can be fixed very easy if wanted to be, ooks nice and straight mate, very good car
Lowered all round with king springs and pedders supsenion
Mad Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
FPV-HSV
previously SMIKXR6

$1000 but advertise it on ebay and gumtree for $2000ono but i buy and sell cars i would not pay more then $700..
Old 17-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez that's depressing, is there nobody left that wants these cars? I would have liked at least 3500. It still has years of service left in it yet, I'd rather it sit in the shed and collect dust than let it go for 1500-2k, I would feel like I was getting ripped off at that price. I'd sooner cash in the rego and forget about it. It's just too big for me, I don't want a full size car any more, I am over them. Exhausting to drive and even more exhausting to sell, fantastic...

Thanks for your input everyone, any more valuations?
Old 17-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The low prices for AU's and BA's these days don't help these hold their value, and as nice as yours is, the EL's are starting to get long in the tooth. You could pick up a nice 6 cyl AUII Fairmont for not a lot more than you want for this, AUI's even less again. It's sad but in this context the E series aren't worth much! Then again maybe the low kms would attract more attention than otherwise. Maybe see what it needs for a RWC, put it up for $3000 on carsales in an honest ad but emphasising the nice things, with some great photos and see what happens. Be prepared to be bargained down... maybe a lot. I don't think you'll ever get more than that.

Funny that you say it's tiring to drive, my 'upgrade' to the EL has given me the most comfy, easy driving I've ever had!
Old 18-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0

Funny that you say it's tiring to drive, my 'upgrade' to the EL has given me the most comfy, easy driving I've ever had!
Geez chambo what did you upgrade from? The ELs are like driving an army tank sitting on top of a waterbed. Trying to squeeze into a tight car park in one move, driving in city traffic or making a maneuvre in a crisis situation is not something you can easily do in these cars and I've had a gut full. Which is probably why nobody wants to buy them, come to think of it!
Old 18-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
05_ENFORCER

Part it out?

Old 18-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's to part? No desired Tickford / Ghia goodies on it...best to keep it complete and come to terms with its value unfortunately (for the OP).

Agree with Chambo RE ELs being long in the tooth and that E-Series values have dropped to the point where they are unlikely to depreciate much more. AUs are following suit - just the natural order of things! I still think there are soft spots for ELs - last run of the series got nearly everything right etc. It only takes one buyer too

In saying any of this, until someone takes it for a drive, we *really* don't know what one would be prepared to pay for it. And before people start carrying on, it's not an 'auction' special - looks like it has been cared for fairly well (IMHO).

Good luck if you advertise it.
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
blur1
el wagon

yep, it's basically a gli.
value =$1500.
has it at least got the 'hybrid' engine?
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post