Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Transmission swaps

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many people have done away with the 4 speed auto in favour of a c4 or powerglide etc behind the I6? And how did you go about doing it all?

I know you can get bellhousings and stuff to do it all. I want to know the finer details like how do you get the speedo to work, does it have to be engineered etc

Thanks in advance

Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Re: Transmission swaps

I have a C4 behind my AU motor and now the BA.

I just made up a cross member and the speedo cable plugged straight in and works no worries. I use a Hurst ratchet shifter but you could use a standard C4 shifter if needed.

Was one of the best mods i did, I love the manualised auto.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Unless you make to much power/torque and keep breaking BW's why go to a C4 or glide?

What car is this for (I assume not the BA or Cortina)?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
BlueprintedXR6T

the 4 speed can handle a ton of grunt. a full manual btr will do a great job in drag conditions.... i know for a fact there is 1 full manual btr with a trans brake doing 9.8 @ 145mph in a el falcon in full trim.

I also have one with 380kw that has been full manualised and its in my daly driver.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Brisxr6t
Brisxr6t

I am getting a Powerglide built at the moment.... Will soon know re- crossmember, tailshaft, speedo, when I get to it. Already have the bellhousing sorted, and the builder is doing the converter gapping etc. Crossmember is easy to make. Speedo, I am sure an auto elec can fix if needed and the tailshaft is just a trip to the manufacturers with some measurements!
i would have liked to keep the BTR especially at the stage I am at in regards to power, but in the future I am going more...so I thought i would save money on rebuilding the BTR and go straight to the Powerglide. My BTR was modified only with good clutches etc and firmer shifts to save slip, and lasted about a year. It still drives ok, except under full noise where it slips and shudders and makes funny noises, occasionally, a bit like a chipmonk (could be a lollypop lady stuck under there somewhere)