Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
antony101

Default new megane r26-r

Sweet new megane - wont come to Australia, i wish it would.

Bye bye r32 golf, bye bye, bye bye cayman bye bye

bye bye every hot hatch ever made, bye bye....

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/22...gane_r26r.html

Last edited by antony101; 28-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imo it'd look better with black wheels but yeh... red wheels are abit "Hmm..."
Old 28-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody hell these things are quick,100kph in 6.0 flat,227hp and weighing in at 1220kg's this would be the king of hot hatch's. :evil3:
Old 28-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony101
Sweet new megane - wont come to Australia, i wish it would.

Bye bye r32 golf, bye bye, bye bye cayman bye bye

bye bye every hot hatch ever made, bye bye....

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/22...gane_r26r.html
2 seater and even uglier than the last one. Those wheels, what were they thinking?!

I'll stick to my R32, thanks. :
Old 28-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really all that great but still not a bad car all the same
Old 28-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Nice!

Big deal about the wheels, nothing 250ml of PPG gloss black couldn't fix!

I would still have the R32 over one anyway.......But, at the end of the day, like the R32, it's still a hair dressers car.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Correct, Even the F6 typhoon is a hair dressers car

Only the Koeigsegg CCXR isn't a hair dressers car
Old 28-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Correct, Even the F6 typhoon is a hair dressers car

Only the Koeigsegg CCXR isn't a hair dressers car
Here we go :
Old 28-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
antony101

I would rather drive a hairdresser's car than a real estate agents!

R32 - rounded cube with twin exhausts, paleeeezzze.
Old 29-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I would rather drive a hairdresser's car than a real estate agents!

R32 - rounded cube with twin exhausts, paleeeezzze.
Try driving one before you bag it.
Old 29-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
antony101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Try driving one before you bag it.
you were comparing looks though!

By the way, even the current f1 is faster than the r32 in a straight line and on a track, so this one will destroy it.

Also, i like GOLFS, just too much hype ie top gear, if you read evo and car you may get a fuller picture.
Old 29-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

The R26R is pretty awesome... and its a shame that Australia won't get it, we never get anything good. They skipped on the Clio V6 too.

Quote:
By the way, even the current f1 is faster than the r32 in a straight line and on a track, so this one will destroy it.
The current Megane 230 R26 F1 would get mauled by an R32 in a drag race. The slower manual R32's 5.8 to 100 and 14.0 1/4 put it ahead of the R26's 6.2/14.4 and in-line with the R26R. The DSG drops the 0-100 to mid 5s and the 1/4 to mid 13s. The DSG GTI out-accelerates the R26, let alone the R32.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-...lip-13693.html

Standard Golf R32 MkIV with an intake.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-...slip-7292.html

Completley standard Golf R32 MkIV.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-...slip-6019.html

Completley standard Golf R32 MkIV with the flap in the muffler that makes it quiet at low revs removed (first thing I'd do!).

http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-...slip-8200.html

Standard Golf R32 MkIV with a K&N air filter.

Now add to this 10hp, launch control and a DSG gearbox (8ms or 0.008 sec shifts).

Now if you like I could dig up some track times for you... but... maybe you wouldn't like the result... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 29-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
you were comparing looks though!

Also, i like GOLFS, just too much hype ie top gear, if you read evo and car you may get a fuller picture.
I was? Where?

I said the Megane looked worse than the last one. I *own* an R32.

I don't buy a car just for speed. I guarantee the R32 is 100 times more comfortable to drive.
Old 29-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Completley standard Golf R32 MkIV with the flap in the muffler that makes it quiet at low revs removed (first thing I'd do!).
First thing I did.
Old 29-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Two words.

1) Torque
2) Steer.

I'd stick with a R32/GTi/Focus RS if I were in that market.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 29-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Two words.

1) Torque
2) Steer.

Two words..

1)It
2)Doesn't.

Ah the wonders of properly good chassis and suspension...

:
Old 29-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Two words..

1)It
2)Doesn't.

Ah the wonders of properly good chassis and suspension...
The F1 was on my shortlist when I was shopping for my latest car, dealer wouldn't let me take his for a spin though = instant no sale. I had heard/read that it did suffer a little TS being an FWD car with a decent amount of power. I hated the styling of the car and the interior wasn't much better. I had just taken an MPS3 for a spin earlier that morning (which was my first EVER drive of a FWD car) and I found the handling savage when on the loud pedal, yet it was meant to be a neutral car with excellent Japanese engineering with a well balanced chassis and suspension package (and on other accounts, a pig to steer when you had the boot in).

Lighter with more go, doesn't sound that good to me when it comes to combating understeer and torque steer. Perhaps they pulled it off, but we'll probably never know.
Old 29-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

white wheels > red or black. Nice car, but still, small hatchbacks arn't my thing, well not yet!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 29-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Two words.

1) Torque
2) Steer.

i work on VW and Renault everyday at a service center. these cars dont have torque steer due to having a electronic rack the new 08 build VW's with say the lower power options I.E. Golf & Caddy 1.9TDI, 1.6 Petrol have gone back to hydraulic because they think they will not have much torque steer....

BTW I just drove the R50 Touareg and we got the first of the Tiguan's also coming through pedelivery. I was very impressed with the R50 they have a upgraded V10 ttdi in them Now 258Kw and 850Nm

as for the renaults i can not wait for the r26 to get over here. but im still rather fond of the megane F1's. This is a bit out of context but i drove the other week a megane sport and it was very fast it was very surprising. And also i was reading the a while back there is a mob in the UK that have been pumping out 200FwKw's out of 2.0L Tdi Golfs too!

Daily: Golf 6 GTD. Black Magic, ABT goodies. 153.2fwkw 480nm @1500rpm

New Project: 1973 GTR Torana 2door. Track/Targa/Hill Climber. Soon to have a 4.0L OHC and a Turbo.

EF Fairmont: Twin Charged 6 -481rwkw 1038nm @3500rpm (Fully Engineered) (SOLD)

IM BACK
Old 30-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The Megane is a bloody good car - everything the Focus should be. The only downside is the service and parts costs.

XG-377 you seem like the man to ask - what is the correct way to pronounce "Touareg". I can't get my mouth around it. always comes out like "Toerag".
Old 30-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
The F1 was on my shortlist when I was shopping for my latest car, dealer wouldn't let me take his for a spin though = instant no sale. I had heard/read that it did suffer a little TS being an FWD car with a decent amount of power. I hated the styling of the car and the interior wasn't much better. I had just taken an MPS3 for a spin earlier that morning (which was my first EVER drive of a FWD car) and I found the handling savage when on the loud pedal, yet it was meant to be a neutral car with excellent Japanese engineering with a well balanced chassis and suspension package (and on other accounts, a pig to steer when you had the boot in).

Lighter with more go, doesn't sound that good to me when it comes to combating understeer and torque steer. Perhaps they pulled it off, but we'll probably never know.
See there's the first problem, Japanese "engieering," and excellent should never be used in the same sentance together.

Having driven multiple MPS3's and a RenaultSport Megane 225 also... they're in different leagues. The MPS3 is an oceanliner in cornering ability compared to even the non-cup 225 I drove. The regular 225 does not torque-steer and you have to really be deliberately trying to, to get bad understeer. Somehow I don't see the R26 or R26R with superior suspension, steering & tyre packages having this issue if the base 225 non-cup doesn't...

The MPS3 on the other hand is further proof to my constant assertions that Japs are light-years behind Euros in carmaking.

:
Old 30-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #22
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
See there's the first problem, Japanese "engieering," and excellent should never be used in the same sentance together.
haha i just found a new quote for my sig!
Old 30-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Well, it was with tongue in cheek that I typed that. :P
Old 30-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Well, it was with tongue in cheek that I typed that. :P
Well I fail at the internet tounge in cheek detection it seems!

:
Old 30-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #25
BlackLS
yum

Steffo, how does the MPS compare with any LS-on Focus you've driven. I'd think they were much the same?

For those not in the know, the suspension in the 3 is very similar to the Foc, using the same rear suspension and slightly revised front suspension but same geometry. That really only leaves springs, shocks and swaybars to adjust.

Old 30-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #26
loltastic
Banned

Quote:

Having driven multiple MPS3's and a RenaultSport Megane 225 also... they're in different leagues. The MPS3 is an oceanliner in cornering ability compared to even the non-cup 225 I drove. The regular 225 does not torque-steer and you have to really be deliberately trying to, to get bad understeer. Somehow I don't see the R26 or R26R with superior suspension, steering & tyre packages having this issue if the base 225 non-cup doesn't...

The MPS3 on the other hand is further proof to my constant assertions that Japs are light-years behind Euros in carmaking.
What the hell? What about the Mitsubishi EVO? Nissan R35 GTR? Vtec? VVTLI? Honda NSX? I'm not saying an MPS3 is any good, because I think they're useless piece of crap myself, but, Steffo, please... And btw, a friggen Golf R32 DSG will NOT do 0-100 in 5.5s ffs, lol. But you keep telling yerself it will champ.
Old 30-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #27
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Steffo, how does the MPS compare with any LS-on Focus you've driven. I'd think they were much the same?

For those not in the know, the suspension in the 3 is very similar to the Foc, using the same rear suspension and slightly revised front suspension but same geometry. That really only leaves springs, shocks and swaybars to adjust.
I've only ever driven an LS Focus CL hatch and an LS Focus CL sedan... so its hard to comment on them with the MPS's 380Nm @ 3000rpm vs 187Nm @ 4500rpm... plus the added roll the base Focus has over the sporty setup MPS.

Though I will tell you, Mazda 3 2.0 Neo vs Focus 2.0 CL, the Focus is the better drive IMO. Having driven both, both in sedan and hatch form... the 3 feels cheaper and feels vague in comparison. It also has different pedal feel, the clutch is heavier and spongy, the steering isn't as communicative and the whole package feels alot more disconnected IMO. Its amazing how two cars that are "exactly the same," can feel so different to drive...

I'd imagine the XR5 is a better steer then the MPS... and more under control, with its 320 vs 380Nm going through the same size rubber.

:
Old 30-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
What the hell? What about the Mitsubishi EVO? Nissan R35 GTR? Vtec? VVTLI? Honda NSX? I'm not saying an MPS3 is any good, because I think they're useless piece of crap myself, but, Steffo, please... And btw, a friggen Golf R32 DSG will NOT do 0-100 in 5.5s ffs, lol. But you keep telling yerself it will champ.
Yeah, because the DSG GTI can do it in 6.0 to the manual's 6.7, a massive 7 tenth shaving... the DSG for some reason can't shave 4 tenths off the 5.9s already acheived in manual R32's, by prominant American publications AND private owners as I have already posted proof of. What part of 8 millisecond (0.008 second) gearshifts + launch control is difficult to comprehend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5AK...eature=related

The title of that one says it for me. 32s when the speedo starts moving, 37s when it hits 60 mph...

You want my opinions on those cars?

EVO - Fast but rubbish. Great if you want to only go to the track though.

R35 GT-R V-Spec - Not out yet, but will be a moving computer like the normal GT-R. With pumped up press cars putting 70awhp+ extra down then the customer spec models, and manufacutrer BS about times, I can only laugh about the thing. Plus Keiichi Tsuchiya on Best Motoring drove it with all the computers off and said it was a wallowy, understeery boat. So its basically a CPU that you sit in and get carted around in. Whole lot of fun that isn't.

VVTL-i isn't a car, its an engine technology. And I've experienced Toyota's most prominent VVTL-i engine, the 2ZZ-GE, and its crap (the engine). Absolutley no power at all whatsoever below 6000rpm, and then mediocre at best. Sounds like its going to blow anything into the weeds, until you look at the speedo (2ZZ Celica and Corolla Sportivo).

NSX - Overrated, slow, very thirsty, sold poorly because of it, overpriced, beaten by everything in its class bar the Ferrari F348tb it set out to beat - which they rectified in 1993 with the F348 GTB. By 2002 it was a joke... a HSV GTS could outdrag one and an EVO or STi of the year would hand it its butt on any circuit.

Happy? Obviously my in-jest comment before was too much for you to handle...

:

Last edited by Steffo; 30-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Couldn't care less if the renault had four million horsepower. Comparing that 17 year old p plate girls hatch to a Porsche Cayman makes you deserving of a serious flogging.
Old 30-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #30
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
XG-377 you seem like the man to ask - what is the correct way to pronounce "Touareg". I can't get my mouth around it. always comes out like "Toerag".
"TO" "REG"

And Tiguan is pronounced "TIG" "ONE"

Daily: Golf 6 GTD. Black Magic, ABT goodies. 153.2fwkw 480nm @1500rpm

New Project: 1973 GTR Torana 2door. Track/Targa/Hill Climber. Soon to have a 4.0L OHC and a Turbo.

EF Fairmont: Twin Charged 6 -481rwkw 1038nm @3500rpm (Fully Engineered) (SOLD)

IM BACK
Closed Thread