Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Hire Car review - Mitsubishi 380 - THE IMPORTANT FACTS WHEN TESTING A RENTAL!

Ok, this is just a tale of my experience with a hire car, I didn't give a stuff how cold the air-con was, how many milliseconds the auto took to shift, I just wanted something quicker and comfier and quicker than my pussbox R31.
Picture this. Mackay to Cairns xmas eve 06. Driving solo to pick up the missus who's just finished a refurb up there, take her to meet mum and spend xrissy. Bonza.
Picked up the navy blue 380 base model first thing from my local thrifty outlet at which a neighbour managed the show, and kindly gave me a generous discount on the hire for 5 days, on the proviso i return it in 1 piece. We'll see.
Full tank of gas. Check. Half a packet of cigarettes. Check. Two musicians wearing dark sunglasses on a mission from god. Well... no just me.
I removed the hubcaps for safekeeping, loaded me gear into the backseat, sat my 3 wallets of cd's on the pass seat, loaded my new tool album in, then headed up the road. 740 od kays ahead. Luvvit.

Found the 3.8l v6 a doddle to overtake with, just mash the peddle, she kicks back to 2nd or 3rd, and i find ive just slingshot past 2 semis without raising a sweat. Overtaking was the order of the day, and the 380 impressed. Even using the 5 speed ****tronic slusher in sports mode proved that highway overtaking duties can be accomplished by just flicking between 4th and 5th.

Activated the cruise control, and switched to some different tunes. Sevendust. Driving music would get me there.
I didn't like the look of the dash, bit of a magna parts bin mess, or the stereos layout or functions. The output of sound kept me happy, but hey, who gives a toss its just a rental.
Got just north of Bowen, came accross a jacknifed semi strewn all over the road, damn delay for over 1hour. Ahwell, perfect opportunity to thumb throught the latest FHM mag then. MMM Emily Scott has the best assets.

Here we go, cops let us past, but now theres about 50 cars in front of me keeping the going slow. No matter. 175 kW, and 343 Nm would soon see the queue dispatched promptly, and it was smooth sailing through townsville and beyond, despite some monsoonal showers.
Onwards and upwards along the Bruce Highway, just a world class motorway, potholes every 60 metres i swear. Larry had seen to this part of the world, it was obvious.
Into Cairns just on sunset and picked up the girl...
[skip the xmas BS, this is a roadtest]

Xmas came and went, so me and the girl decided to do some sight seeing, so headed for the atherton tablelands for a day trip. Headed up the gillies range, 130+ corners of mayhem, tyres and girlfriend squealing all the way. Took in the sites on the way through malanda, milla milla, ravenshoe, including a thrilling damp dirt road section, which showed the 380 had some prowess in rally type conditions, hanging the rear end out on command.
Then on too atherton to catch up with a mate.

A fish and chip meal later and me mate asks, "can it smoke em up?"
"I dunno, lets find out"
Apply handbrake, stall it up, release the brake pedal, and... haze the tyres!
Too easy.
Back to Cairns, and an easy night time descent of the gillies this time.
Spent the next day catching up with people, and hooked up with a best mate that night to go take in a movie. A stop at maccas afterwards reminded me of a youtube experiment involving front wheel drive and some plastic meal trays. BRAINWAVE!
Some apple pies and soft serves later, we find ourselves in an industrial area with an extremely wide stretch of btumen, a favourite pay area as a P plater. With the meal trays under the back tyres and the phone camera at the ready.
Apply handbrake, full lock, plant the boot, and hold on. The thing whips into 180 degree loops while eminating plumes of a wonderful smelling cloudy gas from the front tyres. Fun x 5.
Once the maccas trays are no more we call it a night and retire in preparation for the return to Mackay.

Thanked mum for the seafood and pressies, loaded me, girl, her suitcase from her 10 week work stint, some childhood keepsakes and every street machine mag from 1996 into the mitsu, and headed for home.
Much more sedate trip home, took in some more sights on the way. The thing returned about 11.5L/100 for the trip according to its trippy meter, which i didn't give a rats about, because iv'e got better things to worry about.

Upon the return to Mackay, i stopped in at my local 24 hour DIY carwash to give it a tub, removed the bugs and mud, then thought to myself what a pleasant journey it had been. I had not lived with a bitsushiti for a period such as this, and was saddened by the fact i would have to return this remarkably capable aussie built big 6 sedan the next day.
I finalised my bonding with 380 by nailing the throttle out of the carwash onto the main road, the soapy tyres spinning all the way through 4 speeds upto the 80 km/h speed limit, me and the tyres squealing with joy all the way.

What a good car. I give it a 3.5/5 overall. Not that it matters.

Last edited by XDV800; 30-03-2008 at 03:16 AM.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Scott

I've hired several and it seems you may not have tried to reverse the bloody thing..... they are a reasonable car but I had to press my ear to the roof to see out of the them. At that point, I knew it was useless for just about any woman under 5'10".
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

iv got a 01 magna for a work car... has plenty of power but the pulling steering wheel gives me the shits... every time i plant my foot its determined to dive into a gutter...
will have to try the maccas trays thing... great review btw

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Forget the maccas trays, 44-gallon drum/bin lids work better ;)

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Forget the maccas trays, 44-gallon drum/bin lids work better ;)
hahahaa, great advice, i was thinking the same thing!

I have had a few 380 hire cars, apart from the hideous dash layout and the obvious FWD shortfalls, i found it quite a capable car, and considering i was heading from mackay out west, it did the job quite well
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
ingall9

I havent driven one, but have heard mixed reviews, but i believe it to be a pretty good car, especailly for the money. It appears however it wasnt enough to drag Mitsubishi's butt out of the coals. Its a nice looking car to and the interior of the VRX model is pretty sporty and clean.
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
iv got a 01 magna for a work car... has plenty of power but the pulling steering wheel gives me the shits... every time i plant my foot its determined to dive into a gutter...
And so a user name was born.......
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
PALE ALE

MAAATE!, you should get a job at wheel's or motor magazine or one of those other crap mag's be worth reading then
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most excellent review, reads like a Les Norton book with less violence and rooting...
Regards,
Tote
Old 31-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
Slow Ute

had a few 380 as well for hire cars and find them to be very plesant to drive. i do spend 6 days a week in a hilux so even a daewoo matiz is probably more cumfy.

atherton tablelands is a bloody nice drive, done it a few times now and love it every time.
2005 toyota hilux V6 auto 14.9 @89mph SOLD :the_finge
starting new project 2007 (probably 2009) sleep:
Slow Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

You lost me at the maccas trays...knew a few FWD boys who take their maccas trays VERY seriously....fewls.....
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
PALE ALE

A couple of thing's you forgot to test though,the speed limiter, when that cut's in you'll crap you're self and think you've blown it up. also take it up to about 160 and hit the skid's to see if the ABS work's
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE
A couple of thing's you forgot to test though,the speed limiter, when that cut's in you'll crap you're self and think you've blown it up. also take it up to about 160 and hit the skid's to see if the ABS work's
LOL

380 vs VE SS........... who won, 380.............. Not only was the Car Faster but the Driver was better............lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

cool!
going to utube maccas tray right now...
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
cool!
going to utube maccas tray right now...
don't.. you'll loose faith in humanity
Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

The 380's are very good cars. I know this because I drive so many everyday at brisbane airport working for THRIFTY. After spending time driving and having to reverse park them all the time, they become very easy to reverse park. They only things I dont really like is the electric seats as they are so slow and the boot release button in the glove box, but the price things things are sold for makes them a very popular choice of big car for people looking at a newer car, especially the VRX models
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Excellent review, thanks for a great read.

I hire lots of cars, and (unfortunately) 380 is one of them. I'm not a fan at all, but had a laugh reading a well structured and informative review.

9/10.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Excellent review, thanks for a great read.

I hire lots of cars, and (unfortunately) 380 is one of them. I'm not a fan at all, but had a laugh reading a well structured and informative review.

9/10.

I agree with the above sentiment- not a fan at all compared with a six speed auto and LSD in my XR6 but a great read and yes, very Rober G Barret style writing!
I am familiar with the route you took (albeit 12 years since I have been up to Atherton) and it is a really good road test of any car....our clapped out HX Kingy sadly didn't fare as well!
The best thing about the 380 was the little rear view mirror dimmer when you have 4WD's with bright lights behind you!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
The best thing about the 380 was the little rear view mirror dimmer when you have 4WD's with bright lights behind you!
If you need this you are not driving fast enough
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've taken a few out and found them to be pretty punchy for what they are. Almost to much power for the front wheels....

Agreed, dash is terrible.

I enjoyed reading your write up mate, good one...
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
will have to try the maccas trays thing... great review btw
just got a upgrade to a 05 magna... they've fixed the steering pulling a bit by uping 2nd gear or something because this one it a fair bit slower... and wont drop back to first above 35kms... :(

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
Bazil

The good lady and I were in Cairns/Port Douglas early on in May for hol's and had arranged to hire a 380 through Budget but when we got there they gave us a BF2 XR6,with just over a 1000k on the clock, bonus!
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_ba
I've taken a few out and found them to be pretty punchy for what they are. Almost to much power for the front wheels....

Agreed, dash is terrible.

I enjoyed reading your write up mate, good one...
Well,Too much power for the front wheels to be honest, its a sideways mounted pajero engine in case anyone was wondering...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #24
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Hire cars I've driven
-06 Nissan Maxima
- BA XR6
- BA Xr6 Mk2
- VY Commodore
- Toyota Echo
-2004 Toyota Altse

Out of all of them, the maxima impresed me the most (luxury exepct for the dash)

Lets be honest....hire cars are thrashed to the sh*i*s...
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
PALE ALE

Cant wait to read the FG test drive
Old 26-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #26
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Well,Too much power for the front wheels to be honest, its a sideways mounted pajero engine in case anyone was wondering...
Actually it isn't. The Pajero uses the 3.8 MIVEC engine that goes in the Raliart Galant in the US. The 380 uses the SOHC 3.8L.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
Ringo
I see you....

Gold.....we should put in to hire another something for 5 days just so YZFR101 could review it.

I vote for something Korean for an extra element of risk....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #28
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
Actually it isn't. The Pajero uses the 3.8 MIVEC engine that goes in the Raliart Galant in the US. The 380 uses the SOHC 3.8L.
Its the same engine, MIVEC only stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system. There both the 6G75 engine. The galant in the US uses the same engine as the 380, witch is the same as the Pajero...
Old 27-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Its the same engine, MIVEC only stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system. There both the 6G75 engine. The galant in the US uses the same engine as the 380, witch is the same as the Pajero...
Technically it's the same block, 6G75, but with different heads and internals, different compression and cams, tuned for different power and torque etc. It's a bit like the Ford block from AU -> BA yes?
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
Technically it's the same block, 6G75, but with different heads and internals, different compression and cams, tuned for different power and torque etc. It's a bit like the Ford block from AU -> BA yes?
yeah, fair enough.