Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Planning on playing golf again

Golf is a love hate relationship for me. Played on and off - not played properly in 3 to 4 years. I would take it seriously, play great social and practice rounds, but like a uni exam crumble when it came to comp. I've decided to try and take a different perspective and aim to make it a social thing, but still play comps, but try to really improve the head game.

Sport wise, recently been focussing gym work and strength training.

Anyways, seeking advice from other experienced players. I was always a 13/14 hc player but always knew i could be better, plenty of room for improvement re: short game.

In my bag i use a titleist 909D 10.5 driver, taylor made rescue fairway 3 and 5, hybrid taylor made 3i, taylor made XD 4-sw with a titleist vokey gap adjusted to 31d. The gap helped improve my short game but still struggle to stop the ball well. Shafts are all stiff. My strength being my long game, im not tall and not week (i.e bench 125% body weight).

Im looking at replacing my irons. Im looking at a mid range price so for quality im happy to look at second hand. Currently looking at titleist md 712 forged. I know theyre a lower hc's iron, but i played better with a blade iron than cavity back, however, i think i need a little more forgiving or softer heel (a lot of carpet weed just off the fairways in whyalla).

Suggestions??

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Planning on playing golf again

*R540XD irons *vokey bent to 51d

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 12-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know why they call golf, golf?
Because all the other 4 letter words were taken.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes more sense than it should

Current
Previous

Old 13-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work on your flexibility, especially through the chest and shoulders. YOGA!!

Go and see a pro. Get a package of lessons, then get him to assess what clubs you need.

There are a lot of well meaning people out there who will offer #### advice. $200 on lessons is nothing compared to what you are going to spend on clubs, membership, green fees, balls, gloves...;

And remember, ENJOY!

Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

A good pre shot & game routine is important for consistency as is knowing your swing / game. Practice your putting, short game / bunker's as much as possible, off any lie, will pay big dividends out on the course. Are the clubs fitted? Are you using a pro v ball etc? Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Get lessons first along with hitting the GYM. Then spend some time at the range before you ease back into your game. If you just start playing a game you will shoot 100+ IMO.

What ball are you using? maybe that's why it won't stop. I switched from Srixon Qstar to Titleist Pro's and they stop lol. A bit hard off the tee but all good now.
Old 13-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had probably half a dozen games years ago, i could really wack the ball for a mile, i just never new which direction it would go in or where the bastard of a ball went to .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I've had my problems with slicing too, but now I seem to be pretty spot on. I found that if I did a longer or stretched back swing with the irons the ball tends to go straight for me. If I do a half swing or less it slices.

With the driver I spent a lot of time at the range just hitting balls and making my self control where the ball goes on the down swing. Don't just swing at the ball make your hands control where the ball goes. It's easier than you think and make sure you don't try to smash every ball, slow your swing down to a snails pace and hit them in front of you first. Speed will come later.
Old 13-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually don't have any issues hitting, including being able to draw or fade, but seem to have lost that skill since ive tried one or two comebacks haha. with lack of practice and putting on a fair bit of mass I guess will change your swing and mechanics.

I plan on going to petes golf in Adelaide for a fit up in the next month for new irons and a new putter. I need to improve my 4+ irons, putting and chipping. I had been using softer balls (a srixon soft feel particularly) because distance isn't an issue. I also plan on continuing gym, hopefully I work the 2 together well.

Current
Previous

Old 13-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

My Uncle played the Sunday chook run for years. A can a hole. Never in 19 years could he par the last hole. Can't for the life of me think why !!
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit some balls up the fairway today. Pretty good considering gym injuries that have been getting worked on the last 2 months. Looking forward to a fit up. Unfortunately whyalla doesnt have a pro and to get lessons its 400kms away. Ive had a few lessons when i was playing from amateur pros, but not for a long time.

Current
Previous

Old 13-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never played golf until I was mid 20s. I had one round and then I was hooked for 5 yrs playing upto 3 times a week. I have a cricket background so gripped the club like a cricket bat never had a lesson and managed to get down to a handicap of 8. my opinion for what is worth just practice all aspects of the short game ie putting bunker and pitching as that's where you make your score "drive for show putt for dough" you get your short game in order the longer stuff tends to work itself out. ps I grew up in pirie and never played on their course. I thought it was hilarious they had "blacks" not greens as the were literally slag from the local smelter
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Right advise zoesgift, work on the short game !
A straying drive can still recover in regulation to green but for those mi****s nothing like having your short game in tune - chips close to the flag keeps your scores down.
Sound of it everything is too far for lessons etc, you tube has plenty, golf forums are helpful for coaching links etc.

Great game !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #15
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
I never played golf until I was mid 20s. I had one round and then I was hooked for 5 yrs playing upto 3 times a week. I have a cricket background so gripped the club like a cricket bat never had a lesson and managed to get down to a handicap of 8
Most cricket players tend to play a good game of golf. 8hc is pretty good for for only taking it up in your mid 20's. I started when I was 16 and played on and off til my mid 20's. Now 32 and making a comeback ha. I plan on single figure hc but im not going to play comp for a bit. Going to get a social membership first and fitted up properly and practice. Might choose a one of the bigger local comps to play towards the end of the year and get my 5 hc cards in before then.

Current
Previous

Old 14-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #16
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I too have recently taken golf back up after about 6 years out of the game, but only random games with one of the fellas at work time permitting.

He plays at least twice a week and then most weekends in comps. A few years ago he was off about 7 but that has blown out a bit now. Chipping and putting is his weakness. Most holes he would be on or near the green in regulation but then 2 or 3 putt.

It's a very frustrating game, but practice is the key (like anything I guess).

Whilst frustrating, it's also very rewarding when you get it right.

Good luck with it!
Old 14-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your mate sounds like me. In shopping mode atm. I think once the sun is up longer ill get more prac in. Although with more draw than usual (left shoulder/hamstring/glut pains) I still hit the ball pretty well. straight 230m drives, accurate 7i w/ good connection and not too bad 5i either. Went to the chipping green and could see instantly where my strokes go.

Hopefully tax time gives me a few dollars for fit up soon. Looking at Titleist 714 ap2 irons but might book in with a pro at the same time for chipping lessons. Single figures in 6 months ha

Current
Previous

Old 14-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #18
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Most cricket players tend to play a good game of golf. 8hc is pretty good for for only taking it up in your mid 20's. I started when I was 16 and played on and off til my mid 20's. Now 32 and making a comeback ha. I plan on single figure hc but im not going to play comp for a bit. Going to get a social membership first and fitted up properly and practice. Might choose a one of the bigger local comps to play towards the end of the year and get my 5 hc cards in before then.
Stopped playing cricket mid teens, surfing was the better choice for summer but hand eye coordination is sound being I could take on tennis/squash and also a football player (sokha to aussies) to date.
Damn, I didn't take on golf till mid 30's ! went into passion practice mode games whenever could play but wife/kids house got in the way go figure.
Years have past but playing to a 18hc.
I'm competitive but don't take it so seriously on myself on errors, unless your playing min 3 games a week, range hitting in between then I would whinge moan and groan on errors imo.
I enjoy it very much, rejoice when I pick up a bird or 2, rejoice playing to par or near enough - my worst day at golf is still better than being in the office
I'm also a member of a social club that has a brilliant 12mth calender at some of the best Sydney course's you can play at, love it.
Old 14-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
creative
I am Batman

I used to play in my teens.... between 18 and 27 holes a day. By the time I was 15 I played off scratch. Thing was, I couldnt putt for toffee... so I just made sure I put the ball close enough so I didnt have to! My strength was my short game.

Gave it up because I found women and beer! Just like to have a hack every now and again whilst wishing I could play like I used to! Tried to get back into it but just dont have the motivation for it any more. Shame really! Still got all the gear which cost me about $1500 back in the day.
Mizuno TPZ irons, (took me ages to get a set of these! Originally learnt with a set of blades... (mistakes hurt so I learnt not to make em! ) origional Calloway Big Bertha driver ( which is tiny compared to todays monstrosities) and Calloway warbird 3 wood. Ping putter and balata balls! All stiff shaft with (at the time) the best grips on the market.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere

Last edited by creative; 14-07-2015 at 07:59 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The last time I drove in the OP's area they had Cinder Greens!

Looked quite strange, a Brown Golf course with Black greens
Old 15-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The last time I drove in the OP's area they had Cinder Greens!

Looked quite strange, a Brown Golf course with Black greens
Wow, that's got to be 20 years ago. I think at one stage we've had some of the highest ranking greens in SA.

Fun fact: (apparently) there is 2 VW bugs under the 13th/15th green (back to back) to help build them up.

Current
Previous

Old 15-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Wow, that's got to be 20 years ago. I think at one stage we've had some of the highest ranking greens in SA.
Shhh, it was about 30 years ago
Old 15-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #23
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

creative - can't go wrong using mizuno irons !
Best clubs I have ever owned and recommend, I have MX300's.
Workmanship/quality.
Fitted set - even at my kind of game took me to another level in distance - next upgrade another Mizuno set.

The good ol original Big Bertha's remember them well.
I have 2-3yr old Callaways - 3times the size as you mention rippa drivers to this day.
Balata balls - gold loved them.
Old 15-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #24
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
creative - can't go wrong using mizuno irons !
Best clubs I have ever owned and recommend, I have MX300's.
Workmanship/quality.
Fitted set - even at my kind of game took me to another level in distance - next upgrade another Mizuno set.

The good ol original Big Bertha's remember them well.
I have 2-3yr old Callaways - 3times the size as you mention rippa drivers to this day.
Balata balls - gold loved them.
Yeah, they lifted my long game no end. I learnt with blades which was hard to do. When I went cavity backed everything was easy. I ended up begging the mizuno rep for my clubs at the time as you could not get them at all back then! Had them fitted out to my size and stiff shafts and never looked back! Even now I can hit a 4 iron further than some friends hit their drivers!

The big berthas were huge (size) when they first came out. Tiny compared to todays standards! was never a fan of it though. Not enough deg on the face so I used my 3 wood more. Was getting to the point I could drive out the back fence of the local range when I was at my best!

And I used to use around 12 balatas a round.... not due to loosing them but due to the clubs eating them! I played a very attack style short game which meant the balls got hammered being so soft. It was an expensive round whenever I played!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I used blades long ago, I just didn't stick with them the way my game was then.
Cavitys as we know have that wider sweet spot but when you hit them spot on that pill flies !
haha yer agree on the early bertha's, my driver was 9deg, ****** to hit sweet and my ball flight was woeful yet my single digit playing mate can hit the thing for miles ! now have 10.5deg all good loving it.
Damn - you had some coin back then !LOL...those balatas weren't cheap those days but what a ball to use !
Old 16-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
I used blades long ago, I just didn't stick with them the way my game was then.
Cavitys as we know have that wider sweet spot but when you hit them spot on that pill flies !
haha yer agree on the early bertha's, my driver was 9deg, ****** to hit sweet and my ball flight was woeful yet my single digit playing mate can hit the thing for miles ! now have 10.5deg all good loving it.
Damn - you had some coin back then !LOL...those balatas weren't cheap those days but what a ball to use !
£3a ball.... 15 years ago! and I certainly didnt have the coin! thats why I had to give up ultimately, it was just to damn expensive for a teenager to afford.

Old 16-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ah a pom, yer damn that is not cheap back then, should have stuck to real football
Todays exchange rate thats A$6.34 a pill.
ProV's softest nowadays you'll pick up for around $70 a doz - used to be near A$100 a while ago.
Old 16-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #28
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Ah a pom, yer damn that is not cheap back then, should have stuck to real football
Todays exchange rate thats A$6.34 a pill.
ProV's softest nowadays you'll pick up for around $70 a doz - used to be near A$100 a while ago.
dont forget I played every day... so that would of been 36 quid ($76 in todays rate) at least... a day, just in balls!

far from being a Pom.... I just had the mis-pleasure of living there for 22 years.

and soft balls would be wasted on me these days! ( ooer )

Old 17-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Life sentence !

So how you doing monkey man ? got yourself sorted ?
Old 18-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #30
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not yet. Bought new spikeless kicks. Plan is to buy a set of titleist ap2 214 (good nic 2nds with standard lengths and lie, and good ol s300 golds to save some coin) then have them size fitted/adjusted to suit, and then short game lessons/putter fitting. Single figure HC in 6 months ha

Current
Previous