Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 27-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Gonzola
Starter Motor

Default 1989 Telstar Auto - Stalling + No spark

Hey.. I've got an 89 Telstar auto - with the FE motor, 2.0L carby.

Strange problem with it is that when driving when you let the revs drop too much or lift off back to closed throttle it dies. Starts up every time though.. also comes back to life if you're going fast enough to have the transmission still keep the engine moving when u just turn the key back to off/acc. then back to 'on'.
The car idles just fine, if not a little high now that i raised it, idle level seems fine whether its in park, drive, reverse, etc.

Last night while looking through various causes for this problem we came across a melted plug near the carburetor. The plug was taken off and the wires inside joined to the correct connection without the melted plug. This blew a fuse, which was replaced and now we have no spark when cranking the engine over.
We followed the wires on to find that they go to some plate between the carb. and inlet manifold.

Here are some pics of the plate and plug:

The printed numbers you can see on it are - 2RT76-1 , FEN8 and 13116.
----------------

If anyone can shed any light on what this part does or give any information on the original problem it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gonzola is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

thats not an easy question as I dont know the carby
a guess
it may be a pre heater something that acts like a choke but is electronic

will the car start without the wires to that device connected

if so i would suggest that whole unit has to be replaced /the connector plug and the wires to the fuse replaced as the insulation along to the fuse must have melted

I hope a wrecker has something like that
Old 27-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

the carby gasket on top part may have broken and is letting air in
or the carby needs a new fuel pump and clean out (service)
Old 27-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Gonzola
Starter Motor

Thanks mate. Looking into also getting a new coil for it. Will look into the carb and pump.

When new fuse is put in you can hear things come to life so the wiring seems ok.
Really stumped why there's no spark at all.. the carby problem isn't that bad compared to this.

Cheers.
Gonzola is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
89 S-PACK

mine runs without that... its a air preheater under the carby.. i cut the plug off and drilled the porivets out and took the honeycomb stuff off cos i saw it as a major air resitrction. mine now idles better and revs way more easily

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
dirty hands
Over Thinker

yes start at the coil then usuall checks about no spark
typical telstar
doesnt seem related to the carby problem