Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 18-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Default 1990 Laser speaker

Does anyone know how the speakers in the 1990 Laser under the dash mount? I got this one under the steering wheel thats vibrating the plastic trim over it making it sound like absolute e. Also why your here, how easy is it to remove the headunit? its a phillips one that says its security coded and looks like they've made it more difficult to remove, why you would want to steal that POS I dont know.

M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

This forum doesnt get a hell of alot of views does it? found out it has a faulty fuel sender if anyone knows anything about that.
Old 21-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah pretty sad there isn't more members in this area. As for the speakers you usually have to pull the dash apart if they are anything like the TX5 speakers. Then they are just screwed in. Also you would probably have to pull off the the facia where the stereo is to get to the stereo.

Maybe there is screws behind the ashtray and if you got a storage compartment under the stereo the piece of plastic should just pull out and there is more screws.

Im basing this on assuming the laser setup is similar to the TX5 but it's something you can try. Don't know much about lasers but I know in my TX5 the fuel sender is under the rear seats and they should pull up under the front and fold forward.

Hope it helps mate.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Thanks Mitchay, should be helpful, I'm not 100% its the fuel sender but what's happening is the fuel gauge isn't reading right, at the moment its reading 3 quarters of a tanks, my street is a slight slop, it reads 3 quarters parked up and down so I don't think its a problem in the tank, I assumed it was the sender unit, unless you know something I don't.
Old 21-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I had to replace my fuel sender but mine still gets affected by corners and slopes, but it's old so you have to expect it.
Old 21-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I'm fairly surprised the prevouis owner didn't say anything because when I was driving before it was sitting on E so I don't actually know how much gas is in it.
Old 21-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well If it's not working properly for the mean time you can put in a full tank and reset the trip meter. If you know how many Ks you can roughly get per tank you can use the trip meter as a guide to know when abouts you need petrol. My mate did it for 2 years in his 280ZX and never ran out of petrol.
Old 22-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Yeah thats what I was planning on doing. Are the speakers on your telstar in the dash or the doors?
Old 22-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My front speakers are in the dash. My rears are near the parcel shelf.
Old 24-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

finally got round to fixing the speaker today, just had to put some washers in there to bring it off the plastic, still has a dodgy fuel sender though.
Old 19-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
MoUsE175

does anyone know how to beat the code i don't know mine
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I used to have a 1990 Laser until 3 weeks ago when some old guy slammed into me and wrote my car off.

I dont know how to beat the code on the Laser but any 50 dollar stereo from Autobahn is better than that thing. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
msabell
Starter Motor

hi i've had a 1990 laser for about 6 months now, finally getting around to changing the stock speakers under the dash for something a bit better (without cutting holes in the doors), have pulled apart the dash to replace speakers no probs and have managed to remove the stock radio cassette player, want to put in a pioneer cd player i've had for a few years but having trouble working out what colour wires go to the acc, permanent power, etc.

can anyone please help me?? ive found some wiring diagrams on here for more recent model lasers but not mine (or havent found them yet.) any help would be appreciated, and you can emial me at msabell@iinet.net.au. thanks!
msabell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
VippiN
What a performer!

I don't have a KF/KH manual on hand so can't help. Perhaps give Ford a call? Or jump on www.fordlaser.com

Also there isn't a way to beat the code lol.. Ford just shrug their shoulders! As said above a $50 cheapy from Autobarn is better.
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
msabell
Starter Motor

with the laser i bought 6 months ago, i found the code written in the car's manual, just handwritten in by someone who previously owned it. so i was lucky there, but anyway ... ;)

as i posted in "kf laser radio wiring diagrams" (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...d=1#post971082),
i eventually figured out what wires went where, so now i have half-decent cd sound in my car, was getting very sick of commercial radio lol.

as for the question originally posted here by M14A-Mclaren, the dash unscrews in various places quite easily to get access to the speakers.

driver's side:
pop out the cover on the very end of the dash (concealed when the door is closed), under here you will find a screw, remove it. to the left of the steering column is a screw hidden under a tiny panel which again pops out. a third screw almost directly below this one but underneath the dash, and a fourth screw to the right of the steering column, just above a small storage space. the whole lower part of the dash, containing the speaker, will now come down, the speaker is screwed onto a plastic mounting bracket (same on both sides).

passenger side:
pop out same panel as driver's side, at end of dash. two screws directly beneath the speaker underneath dash. open the glovebox, last screw is on the left. whole underside of dash, including the glovebox, will come down, a little bit trickier to reassemble than the driver's side but no problem.

i actually installed a slightly bigger set of speakers (which came from a mate's 2000 mirage) which are slightly too big, but do fit, but i will be buying a set of pioneer (or similar) 4" speakers which i will install this week, any problems or whatver i will post here if anybody wants it.
msabell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post