Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Unhappy Today is five years since the announcement that shook Australia and destroyed an industry.

Seems like yesterday I was in bed with ABC 774 playing in the background when something caused to me snap out of my hypnopompic state. Even though I didn't immediately know what was being discussed I knew immediately it was about Ford.

Oh the humanity.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Today is five years since the announcement that shook Australia and destroyed an industry.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ing-operations

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Today is five years since the announcement that shook Australia and destroyed an industry.

RIP is all I can say, still gutted no more Aussie New Falcons but were the minority.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
Gomez

My 2010 XR50 hasn't missed a beat.

Done 110K with nothing but filters, oil, coolant and tyres. Still got all it's OEM brakepads. Not a single failure.

Doubt I'll be able to say the same thing about my yet-to-be-delivered Mustang. Fingers crossed, but.
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

From the start of the shutdown of our car industry, two quotes stick in my mind to this day....

Holden boss, Mike Devereux - "Australia needs to decide if it is content to simply become "a farm, a hotel and a quarry", referring to agriculture, tourism and mining as the big industries once manufacturing dies".

Ford chief, Alan Mulally - "No country is ever successful in the long term … without a really strong and vibrant manufacturing base."

"It's the foundation of all economic development.
You actually make things that create value.
That's why every country around the world is collaborating with the private sector … to figure out how to create an environment where manufacturing (is viable)."

God help Australia in years to come.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Clickbait thread title "shook Australia"? I don't think so. If it had, then the Falcon would still be here. You could get a job with ACA
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Clickbait thread title "shook Australia"? I don't think so. If it had, then the Falcon would still be here. You could get a job with ACA
The Falcon would still be here? No it wouldn't. It was the closure of Holden with Toyota following that sealed the fate of vehicle manufacturing here. Clickbait? I think you can do better than that.
Old 24-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
The Falcon would still be here? No it wouldn't. It was the closure of Holden with Toyota following that sealed the fate of vehicle manufacturing here. Clickbait? I think you can do better than that.
Sorry Bill, what I meant is that there is no basis for the claim that "Australia" was "shaken" by the closure of Ford manufacturing and to claim otherwise is just adding needless sensationalism to the thread title.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Shook Australia? meh, while it was a loss for manufacturing it was a long time coming.
The world of mass manufacturing has moved on and the three makers required substantial investment to keep going (Toyota were ready to do it but when Ford and Holden made their announcement that was the nail in that coffin).

Australia can continue to manufacture but would need to look at "non traditional" and innovative ways, and not just cars.
It may be on a smaller and bespoke scale (and with the advent of AI and automation this is probably a good thing) but it can work. We've got the carbon fibre outlet and recently the large scale 3D printer. We need to look into the future and not dwell on the past. How can Australia evolve and adapt to a more "agile" industrious nation?

We may be more engineering with smaller manufacturing.
Old 24-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst obviously not Automotive, Manufacturing is still expanding in Australia

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/manufact...ng-in-february

Rising Energy costs are what could kill it.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Whilst obviously not Automotive, Manufacturing is still expanding in Australia

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/manufact...ng-in-february

Rising Energy costs are what could kill it.
and red tape
Old 24-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of non-traditional ways:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...holden-factory

And more recently, overnight actually, from President Trump:

"Statement from the President on Potential National Security Investigation into Automobile Imports

Today, I met with Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross to discuss the current state of our automobile industry.

I instructed Secretary Ross to consider initiating a Section 232 investigation into imports of automobiles, including trucks, and automotive parts to determine their effects on America’s national security.

Core industries such as automobiles and automotive parts are critical to our strength as a Nation."
Old 24-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Most Australians couldn't have cared less. Owning a locally-produced car seems to evoke cultural cringe, as changing demographics deem suvs or imported hatches the socially acceptable alternatives.

In other words, it's became declasse to own a Ford or Holden (sedan). And we've lost an entire industry as a result.

Economics be damned; I'd rather subsidise a manufacturing industry than foster a new crowd of long term unemployed.

Ute tragic.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Between 2013 announcement and 2016 actual cessation of manufacturing it was like Chinese water torture for those three or so years . The only good thing after that Bob Graziano announcement was the FGX and Mustang arrival..Not much else for me I'm afraid and there is nothing that Ford imports other than Mustang that I could see myself ever buying , no disrespect to the current fare but that's just how it is these days for me , myself and I .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Sorry Bill, what I meant is that there is no basis for the claim that "Australia" was "shaken" by the closure of Ford manufacturing and to claim otherwise is just adding needless sensationalism to the thread title.
Ah ha! I understand what you meant now.
cheers
Bill
Old 25-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Most Australians couldn't have cared less. Owning a locally-produced car seems to evoke cultural cringe, as changing demographics deem suvs or imported hatches the socially acceptable alternatives.

In other words, it's became declasse to own a Ford or Holden (sedan). And we've lost an entire industry as a result.

Economics be damned; I'd rather subsidise a manufacturing industry than foster a new crowd of long term unemployed.
Even if they pandered to the new Demographic & built the SUV's & small hatches it wouldn't have helped

the small hatch industry is extremely competitive Holden tried and Failed meantime Ford are dropping Models

how much Subsidy do you want to pay?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post

This is spot on!

Even the new ZB Commodore, made in Germany, is failing to sell, not because it lacks a V8 in the range, not because its imported BUT because it still bears the HOLDEN name.

If that same speced car was brought in under the VW, Audi, or BM name at the same price point, it would sell like hot cakes.

Holden have nothing left to sell that Australians want with a Holden badge.

Ford only have Ranger and Mustang at the moment.

Ranger sells because it appeals to the cashed up tradies who want that “Aussie Cowboy / I’m a country boy” appeal that the Ranger name plate suggests.

Mustang.... Mostly mid age crisis car for guys who want to live the American muscle car dream they always admired as a boy.

Americans will buy US made cars, Europeans will buy their local cars... But Aussies are very different in this respect.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go further View Post
americans will buy us made cars, europeans will buy their local cars... But aussies are braindead in this respect.
efa..
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #19
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Mr Trump eh...
And our mob all those years ago did the opposite . Who is right ?

http://www.afr.com/news/world/north-...0180524-h10iw0

Politicians and car industry's lead to interesting times .

Last edited by roddy1960; 26-05-2018 at 09:12 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
This is spot on!

Even the new ZB Commodore, made in Germany, is failing to sell, not because it lacks a V8 in the range, not because its imported BUT because it still bears the HOLDEN name.

If that same speced car was brought in under the VW, Audi, or BM name at the same price point, it would sell like hot cakes.

Holden have nothing left to sell that Australians want with a Holden badge.

Ford only have Ranger and Mustang at the moment.

Ranger sells because it appeals to the cashed up tradies who want that “Aussie Cowboy / I’m a country boy” appeal that the Ranger name plate suggests.

Mustang.... Mostly mid age crisis car for guys who want to live the American muscle car dream they always admired as a boy.

Americans will buy US made cars, Europeans will buy their local cars... But Aussies are very different in this respect.
i think we are skirting around the fact that falcon was simply an undercooked (engineering wise) car, as was Territory. Sadly korean an euro alternatives have simply been better options and the car buying public voted with their feet and continue to do so...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #21
bretts351