Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
sailaway

Default SOD-1 Plus

Hi, pleased to report the trusty MC Mondy (233K) was serviced by my mechanic onsite at home yesterday and after 10,000 clicks it had not used any replaceable amount of engine oil. Only the very small amount from the main engine seal. Only noticeable on the inside of the bottom plate. None on the ground.

Anyway thus the title of this thread. SOD-1 Plus is an oil additive.

After being asked to Google as much info as possible it was beginning to sound a feasible additive albeit not so cheap and damn hard to find. Found and spoke to Japanese chap who is their Australian agent and he happens to be only a couple of suburbs away from me.

Please let me know prices and where available you have seen it. I will post my findings later. For now I can say it comes in 400mm sample bottles, 1 litre and 4 litre containers. Agent is currently out of 1ltr bottles.

Do have a read here (Videos also) and elsewhere on their site and post your thoughts...

http://sod1plus.com/what-is-sod-1/

Thx
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SOD-1 Plus

Never heard of it, that said - I am sure it is a good product.

For me, you just cant go past the range of Liqui Moly; http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/oil-additives/

Easily available at retailers such as autObarn and Supercheap!
Old 28-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Never heard of it, that said - I am sure it is a good product.

For me, you just cant go past the range of Liqui Moly; http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/oil-additives/

Easily available at retailers such as autObarn and Supercheap!
I am unsure it is as good as claimed but interested in others opinions.

As you say this product claims what I require in rejuvenating seals at a fraction of the Sod-1 price...
http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/product...resealer-2782/

Interesting on the claimed rubber swelling...
http://sod1plus.com/benefits-data/

LOL Sod it as it could be worth it.

Old 29-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Hi, pleased to report the trusty MC Mondy (233K) was serviced by my mechanic onsite at home yesterday and after 10,000 clicks it had not used any replaceable amount of engine oil. Only the very small amount from the main engine seal. Only noticeable on the inside of the bottom plate. None on the ground.

Anyway thus the title of this thread. SOD-1 Plus is an oil additive.

After being asked to Google as much info as possible it was beginning to sound a feasible additive albeit not so cheap and damn hard to find. Found and spoke to Japanese chap who is their Australian agent and he happens to be only a couple of suburbs away from me.

Please let me know prices and where available you have seen it. I will post my findings later. For now I can say it comes in 400mm sample bottles, 1 litre and 4 litre containers. Agent is currently out of 1ltr bottles.

Do have a read here (Videos also) and elsewhere on their site and post your thoughts...

http://sod1plus.com/what-is-sod-1/

Thx

Mine is developing quite a leak that I initially thought might be the rear main. Last service I did a little investigating and the oil seems to be coming from up near the turbo somewhere and running down to the join between transmission and engine. I couldn't pin point it lying on my back under the car so I will have to borrow a hoist next service to have a better look.
Its getting to the stage that I can occasionally smell hot oil as is drips onto the exhaust.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
I did a little investigating and the oil seems to be coming from up near the turbo somewhere and running down to the join between transmission and engine. I couldn't pin point it lying on my back under the car so I will have to borrow a hoist next service to have a better look.
Its getting to the stage that I can occasionally smell hot oil as is drips onto the exhaust.
Interesting I also have a small leak thinking it was the Rear Main and haven't looked at it cause it's only the size of a pack of cards. I wipe it down and it's the same come the next service. I'll investigate more now.

Currently at 197K so I've got some work coming up.
Old 29-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Interesting I also have a small leak thinking it was the Rear Main and haven't looked at it cause it's only the size of a pack of cards. I wipe it down and it's the same come the next service. I'll investigate more now.

I was hoping it was oil spillage from the filter change but its coming from the wrong side of the engine. I rolled over 178K last night so will be due for 180K in a couple of weeks. Ill give it a clean down a couple of days before then try to get in and find it whilst doing the transmission service. Hopefully something easy to fix.
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 29-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post

Mechanic borrowed my phone to photograph extent of oil leakage. This is the best of them but does not give much away unfortunately. He said it was definitely from the Rear Main.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Under Motor (Medium).jpg (85.5 KB, 32 views)

Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found a slight oil leak from the rear main when I did the first oil after the car was out of warranty. There was a small patch of oil on the cover under the engine.

It doesn't seem to get any worse, so I just clean it up at each oil change.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I found a slight oil leak from the rear main when I did the first oil after the car was out of warranty. There was a small patch of oil on the cover under the engine.

It doesn't seem to get any worse, so I just clean it up at each oil change.
Ditto. In the 10K I did since the last service I didn't need to add any oil.

Does the Mondey MC come up with a digital message warning of low oil pressure? Certainly loves to remind me the windscreen washer water is low.
LOL Would need hot water(Only joking) just now as it is a solid sheet of ice. Presently(8.30am) -0.1c and was -2c at 5am.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ditto. There is very slight weeping on our LX and zetec, but no drops, just wipe off at oil changes.

Message indicator goes amber on low oil according to manual, which is as clear as mud to me.

The LX also has an oil leak at the diesel fuel pump, I changed the gasket but it still leaks.

The aluminium casting is in two parts. I think the join is the root cause.

You can check this by reaching from the front and feeling under the fuel pump inlet metering valve.

Last edited by rondeo; 02-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Ditto. In the 10K I did since the last service I didn't need to add any oil.

Does the Mondey MC come up with a digital message warning of low oil pressure? Certainly loves to remind me the windscreen washer water is low.
LOL Would need hot water(Only joking) just now as it is a solid sheet of ice. Presently(8.30am) -0.1c and was -2c at 5am.
In europe the washer jets are heated for this very reason, but they often get temps in the negatives.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
In europe the washer jets are heated for this very reason, but they often get temps in the negatives.
Heated Washer Jets on our cars too!
Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Ditto. There is very slight weeping on our LX and zetec, but no drops, just wipe off at oil changes.

Message indicator goes amber on low oil according to manual, which is as clear as mud to me.

The LX also has an oil leak at the diesel fuel pump, I changed the gasket but it still leaks.

The aluminium casting is in two parts. I think the join is the root cause.

You can check this by reaching from the front and feeling under the fuel pump inlet metering valve.
Interesting - the fuel pump sits to the back (firewall) side of the engine doesn't it? I wonder if that is the source of my leak. I know the bottom of the bell housing looks much like Sailaway's photo but the oil definately is coming down from the turbo side of the engine. Service due in 1000km so I will investigate further (possibly next weekend)
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel fuel pump is driven directly by the exhaust camshaft so it's to the rear on passenger side.

On mine there is a very slow drip from underside of the fuel inlet metering valve.

Inlet metering valve is in the small cylindrical casing just below and to the rear of the pump body.

Easy to eliminate as origin -
It and oil leak can be seen from under the bonnet.

(A narrow beam 3 watt led torch works for me)

Regarding the original post:

If engine oils could be improved that easily why wouldn't oil manufacturers do the same?
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
If engine oils could be improved that easily why wouldn't oil manufacturers do the same?
Good point! I can only assume the Ester additive would not be cheap and major oil sellers wish to be competitive retail wise.

Found this info on another additive and it to is not cheap and also comes with a lot of convincing hype.

Its pricing is similar to SOD-1 Plus
http://liquidintelligence.com.au/pro...-seal-expander

SOD-1 Plus per 1 Litre is $110

Anyway at this stage I won't bother and will wait for Oz Lotto to upgrade my wheels. So SOD it for now.