Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default How to tell you're not driving an XR5T

How to tell you're driving a Mk I Zetec and not a Mk II XR5T... (real stories from my first day back in my Zetec)

1. You keep trying to force it into 6th then wonder why the hell it isn't going, you could swear it was there yesterday... duh! e

2. You go to flip the key and realise that the Mk I key is a fixed one. (XR5T has a Mercedes style flip-out fob. Tres cool!!) :dj:

3. You go to turn through your first corner and nearly rip the wheel off and punch a hole in the door. (XR5 Steering with the 225 tyres is surprisingly heavy compared to my Zetec!!! But still perfectly weighted!) :

4. You keep driving waiting for the boost to kick in and it never arrives even at redline, then you try the next gear just to be sure...

5. You sit down and feels like you're sitting on a milkcrate because you no longer have Recaros. :nutsycuck

6. You flick on the indicator and wonder what the HELL is that noise??!!!! :

7. Keep searching for the boost. It feels the same, but no boost!!!! :

8. You throw it into a corner and the back end nearly comes around to greet you for dinner when you realise how tail happy a Mk I Zetec is in comparison to the insanely grippy XR5T. :

9. You pull up next to a WRX and seriously think you have a chance. Grab first gear, squish the rock hard clutch, floor it.... no boost. :

10. You stop at the carwash to hose off the dirt from sitting unloved in the sun for 3 days while you were having an affair with a bigger, more buxom model with bigger shoes and realise that the stunning good looks of a nice 3 door Zetec is something NO XR5T can EVER take away!!!! :

Dammit this Mk 1 just doesn't want to leave me!! It's just too much raw fun and looks too damn sexy!!! I think I'll jsut convince you all to get Turbos and I'll just come along for the occasional ride!!!!! Anytime I lust, I can just pull out the photos or arrange a cruise!!

But still no boost dammit!!!!!! Resty, I'm listening.... :

Old 21-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

LOL!

Well.. at this time of the night - something to lighten the night (After it took 1.5 hours to make a trading post ad! - Freaking credit cards!)

Just to add - what tyres were on the ST? Out of curiosity...

Good work Matt!

You forgot to also mention - neither had Cruise Control!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 02:09 AM   #3
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

u only serve to tease further zetec :
Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

How about 'shoehorning' a Volvo (read Ford Duratec) 2.5 Litre, 5 Cylinder Turbo motor into a MkI???

Do you think it would fit?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Eddie, short answer, I doubt it. New Focus is much bigger with a higher bonnet, I doubt it enough to be confident to say no.

As for cruise, Teki, stop stirring!!! Don't miss it in either vehicle. Would be nice but doesn't make or break the car for my needs.

Tyres are Continentals, Sport Contact 2's, just like on ST170. Brilliant tyres.