Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Default Madza MX6... opinions?

Hey guys, My girlfriend is looking at buying a mid-90's MX6. We had a look at one today and they seem to be a nice car. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these cars, as reviews on them seem to be limited. Opinions welcome too. Would also be interested in Quarter Mile Time and 0 - 100 time (stock) if anyone knows and also how they would stack up against a stock family car (eg AU falcon). Any help would be much appreciated...

$AUDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Edit: Had my wires crossed, i was thinking of MX5.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Dont laugh at me for this but what the hell is a MX-6??
Old 13-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
Dont laugh at me for this but what the hell is a MX-6??
hard top version of the soft top mx5 but wasnt as popluar as the mazda mx5 convertable
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

didnt look anything like the mx5...

isn't it the same platform as the probe?
Old 13-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Kenster

hm not sure thou
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

the best way to explain a MX-6, is a 2 door version of a 626, with a turbo 4. (they might have had a V6 optional - not sure)

my brother in law used to have one, was a great car....
he upped the boost, bigger cooler but left it stock lookin.... was one hell of a sleeper...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

It is nothing like the MX5, its a FWD car, a rather complicated piece of machinery. It has a 2.5 V6 and was also sold in Australia as a US built version called the Ford Probe.

From all accounts (best of my memory), it was a refined but slow car, more show than go, but they handle pretty well. An AU would most likely murder one down the quarter and in most performance terms.

A nice car but parts are very, very exxy

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yes the probe was a copy like a 323 is to a laser.

I drove a probe a while back when looking for a new car, they are ok, gutsy enough for sure. But I couldn't drive a car with that name....

A MX-6 I presume would be the same, you see some nice ones getting around. Are you talking about the V6 version? Id get that and not a turbo 4.

A probe would be a nice car if it was RWD!!!!!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...articleID=9052

Some linkage- I suppose youve already read this one AUDude, but here's some good info for anyone wanting to know

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

We had a Probe, very nice car actually. High compression 2.5l V6.

Lots of Probes are RWD - as drag cars!!!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by $AUDude
Hey guys, My girlfriend is looking at buying a mid-90's MX6. We had a look at one today and they seem to be a nice car. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these cars, as reviews on them seem to be limited. Opinions welcome too. Would also be interested in Quarter Mile Time and 0 - 100 time (stock) if anyone knows and also how they would stack up against a stock family car (eg AU falcon). Any help would be much appreciated...
Had one of these as a work car prior to 2000.

Was used around Sydney a lot and back and fourth to the Central Coast here in NSW. Unlike a 94VR SS Series 2, the MX 6 and indeed a work 94 Prelude both could be driven at top speed without mechanical drama! Typically I recall 218 - 220kmh for the MX6.

Three times the damned SS left one stranded in the outback, piece of pottage! This one was an auto 4sp - don't blame me, wasn't my choice.

The MX 6 motor had a nice sound, and powerful acceleration, it's finish fine.

This MX 6 unit had full leather option, and at the time on-road - came in at $57K, a scary amount over the rest, nutty pricing.

It's suspension as standard sat relatively low, enabling the taking of corners quite nicely.

DO ensure you get, if they are still available - headlight and front fog protectors. Nose chips.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The early turbo 4-cylinder versions of the MX6 had a mid-tem update with 4WS that was meant to handle a bit better - they are a bit old now and hopefully all of the bits still work/align.

Later models had the V6 that was more refined (and they looked very smooth too). More of a cruiser than an out and out sports car.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Dude I know has an MX-6 with the 4WS, though he did an engine transplant so can't comment on the mechanicals of a stocker, comfort wise it's pretty decent.. and I reckon they look pretty good too.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. We just sold my bosses MX6. '92 model I think, for $6,500. less than 60,000ks.

Turbo 4, FWD, 4WS.

I remember the car as feeling "boney".

Couldn't really feel the 4 wheel steering until speeds in excess of the state limit.

The biggest problem we had selling it was the "why would any one want one" factor. Parts are expensive, it's a pretty impracticle car, turbo and 4WS means extra for insurance, relatively gutless turbo........
An enthusiast ended up buying it.

To answer your other question, we ran it against his stock 2001 (auto) Magna, and at 100, the MX6 was about 2 car lengths behind.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
BlackLS

The old TX5 turbos was bacially the MX6 cept without 2 doors and 4WS. There alright cars, cept problems with 4WS, gearboxes were known as the weakpoint. The engines need a bit of work before you can up the boost a lot ie forgies, turbos should be the first thing to upgrade. The newer bubby shaped MX6 were a bit of a let down. Also timing belts should be done at 80000 (not 100000 like their handbook suggests)

I've seen this run and it would happily eat VX SS's.

This is the model I'm talking about:

Not

So long as your GF doesn't thrash a car, a well maintained MX6 I'd definalty consider.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Your the second person this week to ask about 90's MX6's. As I told the girl at work they are an excellent car but the RWS rack can be problematic and is expensive to repair.

Please tell me your girlfriends name is not Megan, that would just freak me out

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The earlier model turbo MX6's had a reputation for changing lanes under full acceleration, they torque steered that badly. The later model V6's were much better, they were nearly the same as the Ford Probe, with a different look.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Hey guys, thanks for the opinions so far... I'm talking about a 95' MX6, It's a 2.5 litre V6 (The second one pictured in BlackLS's post), 121kw not the earlier turbo model, same as a Ford probe.... Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Please tell me your girlfriends name is not Megan, that would just freak me out
Nar not a Megan, as much as I would have liked to freak you out mate!
$AUDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #20
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

They're certainly not a performance car but at the time they would have had a bit of zing. I'd be wary of they 4WS models, to me that's complicating things for very little gain and would cost a fortune to fix. I think they're a very nice looking little number and wouldn't be disappointed if my gf came home in one herself.

Perhaps also look at a Holden Calibra, they're probably the nearest competitor and it's good to compare apples with apples.
Old 14-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh

Perhaps also look at a Holden Calibra, they're probably the nearest competitor and it's good to compare apples with apples.
Can anyone say "porous block"!!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The earlier model turbo MX6's had a reputation for changing lanes under full acceleration, they torque steered that badly. The later model V6's were much better, they were nearly the same as the Ford Probe, with a different look.
The earlier MX6s had the same engine as the TX5 (F2) but turbo and pretty sure the later ones had the same V6 aswell. Though mine is N/A it has horrible torque steer so I can imagine the turbo.

Near impossible to launch quick or take corners (at a reasonable pace) in the wet. Very good for the hoons though who want to fry tyres quick.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The earlier MX6s had the same engine as the TX5 (F2) but turbo and pretty sure the later ones had the same V6 aswell. Though mine is N/A it has horrible torque steer so I can imagine the turbo.

Near impossible to launch quick or take corners (at a reasonable pace) in the wet. Very good for the hoons though who want to fry tyres quick.
I read a road test from a while back and the journo thought the turbo MX6 was downright frightening. He said it would literally change lanes under full acceleration. Imagine the thing in the wet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #24
coolkid

my mates sister has the v6 4ws one and it is pretty quick and handles fairly well too,the powerband at about 4500-5000rpm is amazing it literally kicks you back everytime it hits it , like a super harsh vvt system or something? and the motor sounds sweet as when it hits high revs
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post