Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
*rayman*
454 Power

Default monaro going to the uk too...

They've exported the monaro to the states as a pontiac gto...

Now it's set for the uk as a vauxhall vxr http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=114497

Peices of junk will be rusting away in every country in a few years....

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Um, the Monaro has been in the UK for maybe a year or so now, if not longer (the link you posted is over ayear old...:P). Top Gear has had it on their show as well.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
ssj_jaypee
EF POWER IS HERE!

Old news.

Hey those guys on Top Gear love the Monaro. So really its making Australia look good with the rest of the world.

Mods currently done:
Pacemaker extractors, true dual 2.5" exhaust to a single 3" tip
CSA 16" 5 spoke mags, spoiler, stoneflector side skirts
K&N panel filter
Tickford AU snorkel
ssj_jaypee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Vauxhall Monaro VXR just got updated from 285kW 510Nm LS1 to 297kW 530Nm LS2. They're hoping it'll top 176mph.. beating the Lotus Carlton.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
buickman
buickman

Well I can tell you from driving over 12,000 miles around the USA last October/ Nov in a Chev Trail Blazer SUV that the Monaro is a very scarce car to find over there.The only Pontiac GTO's (Monaro) I saw were at Disneyworld in Orlando Florida at the GM Dummy Test Track ride inside Epcot as you came outside on the terrifing ride there they were 5 of them in a circle as you look down while upside down on the ride.
I spoke to a dealer in Cinncinetti Ohio that sells Chevs, GMC, Buicks & Pontiacs and he told me he had to send the one he had in the showroom back to GM in the US as after 3 months he could not sell the car. To dear he said plus the americans love their SUV's which most are cheaper to buy there than the GTO plus most of the country snows in winter so why a RWD with snow.I also think it will be a slow seller in the UK as well.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
MorphUnreal
w00tage

Default Monaro in uk.. but yer usa too

although they sell twice as many monaros over in yankee-land a year then in australia.. although they have like 15x the population.. dunno what % drive compared to australia though.

edit:
theres so many dipshits in america u can sell anything..

lets not start on the poms. i gues they generally have better taste for refined vehicles in pommy-land though.. (=monaro goes byebye)

Last edited by MorphUnreal; 25-01-2005 at 06:58 PM. Reason: addition of shite
MorphUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

My brother who lives in the UK was telling my about the public's perception of the Monaro over there... He said they just love it because they barely any big hp rear wheel drive cars available.

Apparently one of their car review guys (the cynical *****) was saying 'nothing has ever come out of Australia worth contributing to the rest of the world etc etc but the Monaro makes up for everything.' Which is quite amusing, as I have a recent UK magazine that gives the Monaro a terrible wrap. The US GT on the otherhand... ;)

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated

Apparently one of their car review guys (the cynical *****) was saying 'nothing has ever come out of Australia worth contributing to the rest of the world
time to export XRs and GT/Ps i think.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Top Gear rated it surprise of the year.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
HOON69
Banned

honestly who would want a big v8 in the UK look at their petrol prices is rediculous
and thats why 80% of the population either have a 4 banger or take public transport..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
honestly who would want a big v8 in the UK look at their petrol prices is rediculous
and thats why 80% of the population either have a 4 banger or take public transport..
I agree on that quote.

As for the hipe of selling more GTO Pontiac badged Monaro's. These blokes need to do a trip over and drive for over a month through over 40 different states and 12,000+ miles then tell me how many they see on the road. I saw none.There was quite a few Chrysler X/fires& P/T cruisers. ButTuarus's, Sabels,Maxima's,Hondas & Camery's were the most common passager cars on the roads & they were well out numbered buy the SUV's.

Plus I read a artical that GM in America wants to take the manufacturing of the Monaro's,Statemans & Utes of Australia and export them back & around the world badged as Holdens, Chev's, Buicks & Pontiac's.Maybe because the US build crap passanger cars nowday's. If this happens and is succesful who knows the Aussie arm of Ford might end up getting a model of the premium (e.g Fairlane,LTD)ford models built over there and exported back & around the world badged as Mercury's or Crowns.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 12:32 AM   #12
crYnOid

You can look at the hsv drivers club web site and also http://www.hsv.org.uk/ which is the forums most of the drivers club people watch.

You can also go here to see some pics of a recent meet in the UK (last weekend). There are also some threads on http://www.hsv.org.uk/ with more pics. They even had support from Vauxhall, as Vauxhall brought a brand new VZ Monaro and HSV VZ GTO (both to be press cars).
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post