Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #31
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Is that yellow coupe a 'genuine' GT or not?

I have some doubts from looking at those pictures of it, couple of inconsistancies pop out straight away.
It has a late 73 early 74 - 140MPH and small KPH markings speedo and a single rail gearbox for starters.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #32
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
No offence but your mate is a real d1ckhead . Someone could restore it and bring it back to life but your mate being so selfish would rather let it go to waste......He should be thrown in prison for crimes against classic cars.
None taken I agree with you 100% I think he should take the money and run, let it go to a decent home.
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #33
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

People will sell if that get an offer that too good to refuse!!!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #34
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I also know of a blue XC Fairmont Coupe 351 with a sunroof that is in a guys shed on a farm. They decided to just stop driving it and get a new car back in the late 80s. They just topped the engine up with oil and parked it, been there ever since. Pretty much every ford bloke and even some non ford blokes have asked to buy it. The guys wife doesn't want to sell it as "it is too powerful and doesn't want anyone to be killed in it". The guys brother is even a mad ford nut and has a 460 just sitting in his shed that he has had for over 10 years and he won't even sell it to him. The 460 would go awesome in it.
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #35
Tropicsnude
Old & New Ford Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970
Is that yellow coupe a 'genuine' GT or not?

I have some doubts from looking at those pictures of it, couple of inconsistancies pop out straight away.
It has a late 73 early 74 - 140MPH and small KPH markings speedo and a single rail gearbox for starters.
Definitely a fully matching numbers GT...
but very well spotted details nonetheless...
Tropicsnude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its an aussie motor too judging by the rockercovers. So singlerail/aussie motor makes it post 5/74.

Old 22-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #37
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
A mate of mine has an XA GT coupe which is sitting out the front of his house in the weather and in need of attention. He has been offered 25-30 grand for it but wont sell, instead it just wasting away, such a shame!!!
I heard of an XA GT coupe down your way on someones front lawn, wouldn't sell as it was his son's, who died in an accident a while back..

theres an XB ute nearer to adelaide under an old couples carport, clearly visible from the road.hasn't been driven or moved for years, but looks rust and dent free. covered in a foot of dust tho.. I stopped in to ask about it, and the old lady screamed "its not for sale!" at me and s;lammed the door in my face. I'm guessing they get a lot of door knockers... I'm also thinking it may be a similar situation to the XA i mentioned above..

And up until very recently, just up the road from that ute was an XB GS coupe. under the carport at a unit in a group of housing trust units.
This thing was sweeet.. covered with a proper cover, blankets under the cover, and over the seats etc..
Belonged to an 80+yo woman, I spoke to her several times, the story was It was a 1st anniversary present from her husband, (bought brand new), not long after he was in an accident at sea (Navy) and died. she drove the coupe for a while, but then parked it up one day. had something like 50,000k's on it. always looked after it tho, never let it get dusty etc.
the one day i drove past and it was gone. neighbours said she was put in a home, and they weren't sure who took the coupe... :(
Old 22-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #38
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I heard of an XA GT coupe down your way on someones front lawn, wouldn't sell as it was his son's, who died in an accident a while back..

theres an XB ute nearer to adelaide under an old couples carport, clearly visible from the road.hasn't been driven or moved for years, but looks rust and dent free. covered in a foot of dust tho.. I stopped in to ask about it, and the old lady screamed "its not for sale!" at me and s;lammed the door in my face. I'm guessing they get a lot of door knockers... I'm also thinking it may be a similar situation to the XA i mentioned above..

And up until very recently, just up the road from that ute was an XB GS coupe. under the carport at a unit in a group of housing trust units.
This thing was sweeet.. covered with a proper cover, blankets under the cover, and over the seats etc..
Belonged to an 80+yo woman, I spoke to her several times, the story was It was a 1st anniversary present from her husband, (bought brand new), not long after he was in an accident at sea (Navy) and died. she drove the coupe for a while, but then parked it up one day. had something like 50,000k's on it. always looked after it tho, never let it get dusty etc.
the one day i drove past and it was gone. neighbours said she was put in a home, and they weren't sure who took the coupe... :(
If that xb ute is as good as you say it is I'd be willing to give them my car for it. That's my dream classic car that I want to restore. That's the only thing in the world I would bother restoring. In my opinion utes are ten times sexier then sedans i'd even go so far as too say i'd rather a xb ute other a coupe.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #39
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A supervisor at work had a Old statesman he had built up as a Drag car had over 25k of engine and driveline in the thing. He had it sitting in his Old ladies driveway for age’s wile he was working on the Rigs. As it had been sitting for a wile and was all dirty and striped out for racing it just looked like a old heap, The engine needed a Tune as it wouldn’t Idle and was running ruff as guts. His Mum got sick of it sitting in her driveway so she sold it to some young kid for $3000.

The Kid thought he had just brought a busted up old Statesman till he got it to a mechanic to try and get it running, the mechanic new the car and filled the young kid in on what he had got for his measly $3000.
Old 22-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #40
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A mate of mine has an XA GT coupe which is sitting out the front of his house in the weather and in need of attention. He has been offered 25-30 grand for it but wont sell, instead it just wasting away, such a shame!!!
Mate is that coupe youre referring to a white one by any chance?
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #41
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Just had a bit more of a look at the yellow car, few other things I spotted.
she has an xc type air cleaner, an early type xb engine bay, one of the earlier type bonnets, and a throttle cable instead of the early throttle linkage.
Most of the visual stuff I see points to a mid 74 to mid 75 car, bar the early 73 to mid 74 speedo.
Whats the info/history of the car?
I am not wanting to buy it, dont want another coupe project, but am curious as to how it came to be where it is now. Like to hear stories on such finds.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishpig
i'd even go so far as too say i'd rather a xb ute other a coupe.
: lol...
or you could do what I did and get both :
Old 23-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #43
irsa76
Snoopping

Reminds me of my late grandfather. He had a ZC Fairlane with minor damage to the tail sitting in his garage for about 25 years. When he passed away the family cleared out everything he had kept over the years and sold the lot to an antique dealer. The Fairlane, 2 Puegots, a mini and a Fergi grey all went with the stuff as well. Apparently they needed a couple of trucks not counting the cars.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #44
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
its an aussie motor too judging by the rockercovers. So singlerail/aussie motor makes it post 5/74.
Correct Norm. Spot the insulator on the gear shifter and the shifters shape, its a single rail.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #45
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really did find this under a tree in the Adelaide hills a few years back. Moss growing everywhere, mould inside, redbacks galore. Cleaned it up and made a nice profit. ( still went for a bargain ) I hope its looking good somewhere out there. Btw its a matching number XC GS 302
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #46
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I dont know that we should trash the people who hold onto these cars (maybe the ones that let the cars rot in the open).

My XT Falcon 500 with XF interor, Aussie Built 351 clevo, top loader etc... was up for sale a couple of years ago for $4000. At that time I would have sold it for $4000, now I just wouldnt sell it for what people would reasonably offer. I know it sounds crazy, but I wouldnt sell it for anything under $10k. No one would pay $10k for the car (unregistered since 2002, interior stripped, needing rust repairs etc....) but what would I replace it with? What (car) can I buy for under $10k that would hold its value and still be fun to own? Add the fact that I have had it for about 12 years and I have some great memories of owning it (girls, speed - you get the idea.) And the engine in it is out of my first car so I have had the engine for nearly 14 Years. I can understand some people sitting on cars that others want to buy. My car isnt special to others, but is to me.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #47
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So, how long till it's stolen?

OK. So checked out a house on the weekend. They had about 30 Fords on the property.

In a massive shed covered in boxes and boxes, perfect, complete ZD fairlane, ZH marquis and a HQ. Wouldn't sell them!
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #48
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Threads like this make me wanna cry!!
Old 23-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #49
GK351

Mate found a XY GS on a property whilst hunting tracked the old man owner down
offered him a couple grand for it.

Was straight and dent free, minor rust on it easily fixed, biggest asset was it had 72 stamped flat lip globes on it.

I keep hopeing i come across a XY,XW GT on a property hours from home for little money its mine. Wishfull thinking i know!
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #50
56L
a.k.a PAULY

seen a 390 galaxie at the queanbeyan swap meet today complete with original hubcaps right hand drive and pretty much zero rust ,only wanted $2000 but the guy didnt even get an offer
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #51
cowboy
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56L
seen a 390 galaxie at the queanbeyan swap meet today complete with original hubcaps right hand drive and pretty much zero rust ,only wanted $2000 but the guy didnt even get an offer
You can't see it but i'm pouting. That would have gone home with me!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #52
carnutt

Here's a couple of "Barn Car's & Truck" "Somewhere" in NSW , (Promised owner I wouldn't disclose who he is or where) . They are in 2 locations that he owns , and this is only a couple of sheds , he's also got some in Sydney too .

The truck is a WW2 Studebaker as original . complete with radio's .

(You can see another shed in the background)

He & a mate got a couple of Rod's he's built & drives regularly , Shelby Mustang , a couple of Chargers , LC Torana XU1 as well as these . Did have a "Wild Violet HO P3 " but he was offered TOO much to keep it (it went to QLD)

carnutt
carnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #53
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ignore the Torino at the top (it was a "loved" driver) .. see XC Fairmont coupe sitting in the yard outside ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #54
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
not a real valuable find, but it pays to keep your eyes open

spotted a 6/1990 VN SS in atlas grey, manual, cruise, aircon, 116,00k's, but with a rooted exhaust, missing airbox and totally shagged paint...... still trying to track down the owner, it'd make a good restorer
at hornsby TAFE, north of sydney city a bit in the mechanics section there is a VN SS in the gunmetal grey with red highlights. no rims but complete immac interior and exterior.. and get this... 75km's on the clock.. not 75,000.. but 75..

there is also a XF Fairmont with about 60km's in a sky blue colour.. the body is a little bit rough but engine and drive train would be absolutely fine..

also a XR2. you could probably offer them money for any of them but i heard they get about 50+ offers a year on the SS
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #55
mutanti
Turbo

Was Shown An Old Shed out back of a clients house a month or 2 ago.
Was loaded with old cars in mint condition.
Mostly old Holdens tho.

He said he wants to keep 2 of them but the rest he wishes to sell.
Ill see if i can get some picks next time im out that way...
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #56
R0BD0G
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Ignore the Torino at the top (it was a "loved" driver) .. see XC Fairmont coupe sitting in the yard outside ..
what d u mean ignore the torino....nice car.... coupes hot though

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....4&page=1&pp=25
R0BD0G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #57
Tealglow
Waiting

I know where there is an XY V8 just sitting in a driveway. Hasn't moved for 4 years.

A bit dusty and made into a GT replica

The bloke's missus gets asked all the time if she want's to offload it as if they are doing her a favour.

Problem is it's MYBLOODY car!

1984 Bronco XLT 351 C6 4WD - Black/ Silver LPG, 3" Lift, American Racing Wheels

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD Renegade- Black

2009 FG XR6 Vixen
Tealglow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #58
carnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
Take a look in some of the old barns in Griffith, NSW......If what I've been told is true then there is every guys dream tucked away covered in dust.
Not many around these days like that , 20 yrs ago Yes, but most have been "sussed out" by now .

My mechanic has hired a few sheds on local farms to "stash his cars" I know he's got them , I've seen a '70 LC XU1 on his truck at 5pm one evening , 8-30am next morning the truck was empty "It's tucked away with a couple of others" is all he would tell me , won't even tell his brother where they are , his brother said he must have 50+ "somewhere around here" , some he was "paid to take away" He's been a "Towie" for 30 yrs , but he won't tell "Anyone" where they are .

He's just about to start a '58 Zephyr ute , done a SLR 5000 , SS Hatchback Torana , just about finished a GTS Monaro 4 door , and a 308 LC torana (rego'd) I've seen them , and I saw the GTS before he stashed it 12 yrs ago , now it's just about ready to go . He's got stuff from FE/C Holdens & XK Falcons onwards .

He grab's anything that comes up . I know he's bought 8 40ft containers in the last few years , so I'm guessing he's useing them as storage on farms

carnutt

Oi , Watch it . Or I'll Rip Your BLUDDY Arm's Orf
carnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #59
belvo

hears a barn in portugal which had a couple of hundred clasic cars in there http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #60
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a couple tucked away in a country shed waiting for attention. XB GT, XT ute, and will be parking my low kay BA XR8 in the near future whilst I stuff around with something else.

I also know of a property in nw Victoria that must have hundreds of cars. The property is a local landmark/eye sore. Not sure what the history is but it had to have been a wreckers at some point long ago. Last time I cruised past was about a year ago and he had a couple of HK-T monaros. From the road I saw nothing newer than a HQ. They also has a couple of barges buried in grass that look like pontiacs/chevs of some description.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post