Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #2941
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

It really is a simple technical task to install panels and an inverter.

It should be packaged as a user installable and scaleable product.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #2942
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

As has been said, it looks to me like the Solar Shop is just trying to generate work and income for themselves by trying to spook the customer. It might have worked if they hadn't tried to gouge the customer with such a ludicrously high quote.

I've got a 4.8kw system installed since December 2012 and the inverter is hooked to the internet via built in WiFi direct to the manufacturer. It gives real time usage and graphs daily and historical usage on their web site. More importantly, they monitor the system health and if there is any deviation from the norm they get in touch with the installer to come and sort it out. The only time we've seen anyone was about 4 months after activation when a guy turned up and said the manufacturer told them to change the inverter as there was some issue. He did it a couple of days later at no charge.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #2943
zilo
BANNED

With the recent drop in diesel pricing I calculate that it is almost break even to run a 5kw diesel generator.....???

It uses 1.57 litres per hour which is just under 40c per kilowatt/h for base load power.

so...a standalone solar/battery/off grid in the suburbs is viable ????
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #2944
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Had a chat to the nice people at consumer affairs, they have had a few enquiries regarding this. Told me that it is over servicing, doesn't really need to be done if the system is running well & there are no problems.
They also said I should be able to get a local solar installer to do the same job Solarshop are offering for less than half the price, if I really want to get it checked.
I think I'll leave it be, the system is running fine, everything is as it was at the time of installation. If I have any dramas I'll ring a local sparky.
As the old saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Last edited by stevejg33; 04-02-2015 at 12:19 PM.
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #2945
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejg33 View Post
Had a chat to the nice people at consumer affairs, they have had a few enquiries regarding this. Told me that it is over servicing, doesn't really need to be done if the system is running well & there are no problems.
They also said I should be able to get a local solar installer to do the same job Solarshop are offering for less than half the price, if I really want to get it checked.
I think I'll leave it be, the system is running fine, everything is as it was at the time of installation. If I have any dramas I'll ring a local sparky.
As the old saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
pretty much identical to what I had told you, good outcome....the original installer still has to adhere to ALL the rules and regulations, and sign off on it, that come's with ANY electrical install.

I've seen some roughy's and a couple of cheap Chinese isolation switches go but with all the safety features built into electricity nowadays I can't see any problems.

as for diesel/solar standalone, yep!, getting pretty close to parity with the power grid, it will soon be cheaper as the new, cheaper and better, battery's come on board.

ours will not be far away.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #2946
zilo
BANNED

just rented an apartment in melbourne.

the body corp has negotiated with the power company to prpovide power for the entire complex.

The rate?

21c /kwh flat rate unlimited.

service to property 80c a day.

Compared to 33c and 1.18/ day with all the others i looked at.

Looks like there is room to move if negotiating eh?
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #2947
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
just rented an apartment in melbourne.

the body corp has negotiated with the power company to prpovide power for the entire complex.

The rate?

21c /kwh flat rate unlimited.

service to property 80c a day.

Compared to 33c and 1.18/ day with all the others i looked at.

Looks like there is room to move if negotiating eh?

there is so much profit in power that negotiating is mandatory nowadays, if you aren't negotiating a better deal with your retailer and constantly comparing retailers then I'm afraid you deserve everything you get.

$0.21c per kilowatt.......shows just how much we in SA are getting reemed.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #2948
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
there is so much profit in power that negotiating is mandatory nowadays, if you aren't negotiating a better deal with your retailer and constantly comparing retailers then I'm afraid you deserve everything you get.

Try actewagl in act. Last time I looked they were 18 c kwh
Cross the border and you paid another 13c. I haven't checked since the carbon tax reduced the price.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #2949
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Retailers dont negotiate, they already have plans and rates set. Most people just get an offer that is avaliable to everyone if they call up and ask or say they have another offer.

Here in vic, the company I work for, sells customers a 25% discount plan for paying on time, but we also have a better plan you can sign up for which is a 30% pay on time discount. The company does not push this plan at first point of sale, so they can offer this plan if they get an offer from another retailer.

There is no point changing companies in vic as rates rise every 6 months. By the time you switch companies, the rates change because of a rate increase.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #2950
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Really ? We're with Origin and ours is 28c per kw.

Forget what Gas is, but it doesn't matter Origin are the only gas suppliers, so we've no choice!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #2951
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Retailers dont negotiate, they already have plans and rates set. Most people just get an offer that is avaliable to everyone if they call up and ask or say they have another offer.

Here in vic, the company I work for, sells customers a 25% discount plan for paying on time, but we also have a better plan you can sign up for which is a 30% pay on time discount. The company does not push this plan at first point of sale, so they can offer this plan if they get an offer from another retailer.

There is no point changing companies in vic as rates rise every 6 months. By the time you switch companies, the rates change because of a rate increase.

sorry but retailers DO negotiate.......they have a "set rate" for those who just lob on the door step but those that shop around WILL get a better deal.

my experience is with SA but I'm sure it will survive other state companies.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #2952
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Hi All,

Has anyone dealt with the "Mark Group" for solar installations etc?

Had a quote by them on Friday night and their rep recommended a 5.0kw system for our house. He based this off his very firm belief that our current power usage of 6kWh for the first 1 and a half months in our house will double in the next 12 months.

I find this hard to believe considering that the 6kWh avg. usage so far was with either my wife or I, or even both of us at home for most of that time. However we are back at work now so I imagine our electricity usage would drop a bit?

His decision was also based on future proofing our house for when we have kids & our electricity usage goes up, but I raised the point that battery storage for any extra electricity generated is not far away which might mean a smaller system could be sufficient. Eg: 3.5kw or 4.0kw systems.

While a smaller system (incl. battery storage) might not totally cover all our electricity needs in the future, surely it would make our bills pretty small or even give us a credit occasionally?

Can anyone help shed some light on the quote & my thoughts?

Cheers,

Stephen

FPV_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #2953
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Stephen, I agree with the installer, I would go 5kw even if standalone is in the future.

mate, I've yet to see ANYONE who regrets going larger, my regret is that I went too small.

5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #2954
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

No such thing as too big, lol. I have a 4.8kw system and would go bigger in a heart beat if I could. We're looking to go to a battery bank when the rebate gets cut here in 2016 and also looking into supplementing the solar with a wind generator for the overcast days.
Right now we jumped providers to get a better deal as AGL cut our rebate and upped the price of the power then refused to give us the 14% discount we had on our old contract. Dodo power now give us about the same power cost but we get our old feed in tariff rate and with a 20% pay on time discount.... which is mostly redundant as we should be in credit, for all but our mid winter bill, all the time anyway.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #2955
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you looked at wind turbines yet?.......

Something I'm not familiar with since council simply said "you are not having a 60' tower with a 30 ' blade turbine in your yard!"

the little fellers aren't all that powerful are they?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #2956
FPV_Steve

Quote:
G'day Stephen, I agree with the installer, I would go 5kw even if standalone is in the future.

mate, I've yet to see ANYONE who regrets going larger, my regret is that I went too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
No such thing as too big, lol. I have a 4.8kw system and would go bigger in a heart beat if I could. We're looking to go to a battery bank when the rebate gets cut here in 2016 and also looking into supplementing the solar with a wind generator for the overcast days.
Right now we jumped providers to get a better deal as AGL cut our rebate and upped the price of the power then refused to give us the 14% discount we had on our old contract. Dodo power now give us about the same power cost but we get our old feed in tariff rate and with a 20% pay on time discount.... which is mostly redundant as we should be in credit, for all but our mid winter bill, all the time anyway.
Cheers guys!!

I was pretty sceptical when he said our usage would double over the next 12 months. I still think it was a sales tactic but doesn't really matter to me.

No issues going bigger if required, won't happen for a little while yet, so will probably end up missing out on the government rebate, but that can't be avoided unfortunately.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #2957
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had mine done with Mark group.
I have a feeling you should shop around to get it cheaper.
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #2958
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone dealt with the "Mark Group" for solar installations etc?

Had a quote by them on Friday night and their rep recommended a 5.0kw system for our house. He based this off his very firm belief that our current power usage of 6kWh for the first 1 and a half months in our house will double in the next 12 months.

I find this hard to believe considering that the 6kWh avg. usage so far was with either my wife or I, or even both of us at home for most of that time. However we are back at work now so I imagine our electricity usage would drop a bit?

His decision was also based on future proofing our house for when we have kids & our electricity usage goes up, but I raised the point that battery storage for any extra electricity generated is not far away which might mean a smaller system could be sufficient. Eg: 3.5kw or 4.0kw systems.

While a smaller system (incl. battery storage) might not totally cover all our electricity needs in the future, surely it would make our bills pretty small or even give us a credit occasionally?

Can anyone help shed some light on the quote & my thoughts?

Cheers,

Stephen
Sorry to disagree with some other posters, but, if you are on a net FIT, or plan on keeping your system after the gross FIT ends, then the analysis is not simply KW produced vss kw used.

For net FIT It needs to include the usage graph for your home (eg peaks at 8am and 6pm with flat all day at 1kw). This then needs to be compared to your likely generation curves, with will need to take into account how many panels face which way, and what the weather is like (eg morning fogs for 80% of the year, tree shade at 12 noon).

If you are only concerned about Gross FIT, then, face the system as north as you can, and go as big as you can afford. Panel pacing other than north would give a different Cost benefit. Shade and weather patterns will still play a part.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #2959
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:

Something I'm not familiar with since council simply said "you are not having a 60' tower with a 30 ' blade turbine in your yard!"

You dont need anything that big, thats basically commercial/industrial size - it would be nice but not really necessary

The "little fellers" will give you up to 1kw/hr @ 30kt wind speed with a turbine dia of about 1.5m down to 60w/hr @ 10kt wind speed - a very good supplement taking into account generation characteristics

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #2960
CJR09
RPO 77

FWIW the Mark group is a very generic supply/install - one of their subsidiary's has just gone into reveivership - there will be plenty around that will be a able to give better product at a better rate - shop around

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #2961
FPV_Steve

The 5kw system was using Renesola panels & a Fronius IG 60 HV inverter. System would cost us $10,099.00 cash or available on finance.

Was definitely going to shop around, but didn't realise they were another generic supply/install company.

Who else is worth calling for a quote?

Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #2962
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
The 5kw system was using Renesola panels & a Fronius IG 60 HV inverter. System would cost us $10,099.00 cash or available on finance.

Was definitely going to shop around, but didn't realise they were another generic supply/install company.

Who else is worth calling for a quote?
If you are prepared to pay 10k for 5kw, then try Metro Solar with enphase microinverters and JA 310w panels.

Especially good if you have any trees, or panels of more that two roof segments.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #2963
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you're paying $10k+ for 5kws then you're getting shafted. Around here they're being advertised for under $7k.

Quote:

I've found an aussie made 2kw one that is 3.2m dia. It's not cheap though and once you factor in the tower, hybrid inverter and installation there would'nt be much change from $5k.

Have a look here-- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wind-Turbine-Generator-OZ-Wind-2kW-48Vdc-/231459649048

Watch the video clip.

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 09-02-2015 at 06:30 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #2964
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks good, 2 kw was the biggest I could find as well (apart from industrial jobbies that council won't have a bar of.)

last I heard with these turbines is that they need a 15 knot average to be viable.......not sure if we have that all year round.

yeah! Steve.....look, 5 kilowatts of solar can be readily had for under $8,000 almost everywhere now, some a lot cheaper than that.

as a reference, take a look at EM solar, they install pretty much everywhere, and do "interest free" payments.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #2965
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a 7.5 from Mark group for 9 grand. You are getting done.
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #2966
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
You dont need anything that big, thats basically commercial/industrial size - it would be nice but not really necessary

The "little fellers" will give you up to 1kw/hr @ 30kt wind speed with a turbine dia of about 1.5m down to 60w/hr @ 10kt wind speed - a very good supplement taking into account generation characteristics
Here's my experience with domestic wind turbines over the last 20 years

30 knots is near gale force winds by the way.

10 knots and 60 watts an hour?...may as well not bother.

Small wind turbines (under 2kw) are a complete and utter waste of money.

A 2kw turbine typically produces 200watts RMS an hour.

Turbine manufacturers quote peak power outputs, a bit like quoting "music power" in audio amplifiers.

The formula is...half it, then multiply by 0.7071

So... a 2kw turbine makes 707 watts in gale force winds.

So...it really makes about 200 watts in average winds....if it's labelled a 2kw unit...LOL

That's what you can really expect, as well as all the mechanical issues like broken blades from birds crashing into it.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #2967
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Here's my experience with domestic wind turbines over the last 20 years

30 knots is near gale force winds by the way.

10 knots and 60 watts an hour?...may as well not bother.

Small wind turbines (under 2kw) are a complete and utter waste of money.

A 2kw turbine typically produces 200watts RMS an hour.

Turbine manufacturers quote peak power outputs, a bit like quoting "music power" in audio amplifiers.

The formula is...half it, then multiply by 0.7071

So... a 2kw turbine makes 707 watts in gale force winds.

So...it really makes about 200 watts in average winds....if it's labelled a 2kw unit...LOL

That's what you can really expect, as well as all the mechanical issues like broken blades from birds crashing into it.
Not promising by any means - but food for thought for the future though.

Infantile in it's state now, however could be promising in the future Zilo.

I'm still on grid, but you've made it off grid on one of your properties.

There's still hope for the rest of us yet mate.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #2968
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

OK, so I am interested in data logging from my Inverter to my computer.

Who does this, and what do we use?

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #2969
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post

Mike
Much more info needed mate.

What brand / make of inverter for a start?
Old 27-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #2970
Uninvitedgest
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post

Mike
SMA, KACO, Fronius, and the Selectronic SP PRO all offer monitoring in some form, other breeds of inverter i have not much knowledge on and I have been out of the game for over a year; but nearly all companies have their own brand of monitoring equipment and it is generally incompatible with other brands
I would recommend looking at your inverter's website as most reputable brands supply information about their comms systems and then contact their listed agent to arrange supply and install (it is not a job to do yourself as most comm connections involve opening the inverter exposing you to up to 500VDC of lethal power)
Hope this helps
Andrew
Uninvitedgest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post