Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
curik

Default WS Fiesta headlight bulbs (with projectors)

Hi, can someone look up what bulb type does the projector lights use? I still haven't got my car yet but I'm planning to put in HIDs as soon as I get it!

Aside, I was told my car would arrive end of april/ early may but now its stretched to almost june!!! does anyone experience this too?

curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Time to post this thread = time to perhaps look it up yourself. Or are you asking someone to look who already has the WS fez?
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Zetec Dave

I asked the service department this same question in Feb about 2 days after I placed an order on the car (Zetec, so yes its got projectors) and was told the main headlights are H7 and I even asked him to confirm this again 2-3 times. He must've been thinking that I was either old and senile or just a PIA (pain in the ***)...LOL

I asked this cause I was going to get a HID set for the car but thought I'd wait til I finally take delivery of the car so I can double check myself. Otherwise I'd be stuck with the wrong kit if bought too early.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Mine are H7's (H1's for the other light)

Made in Czechoslovakia
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
curik

thanks for the info candyman, I cant wait till my car arrives. Damn Ford, they gave me an option to choose Ocean Blue instead if I want to get the car asap. I ordered morello with morello interior. Ordered 12 feb and ETA is end of May!! Not Happy...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
curik

Has anyone installed a HID kit on his zetec yet? How does the beam look?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #7
Zetec Dave

Hi Curik, I'll be selling Mtec HID kits soon and plan to install a set on my Fiesta when it finally gets delivered. I'll let you know how it goes once its fitted.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure if you will need better lights, ours sees mostly night driving on unlit highways and the standard lights are more than enough to see all your standard animals with plenty of distance to do something about it
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Zetec Dave

I'm curious about the HID lights and the final result with the beam and distance of vision as I've had a set of GEXENON HID's in the past and they sucked. Barely any distance at all and probably worse than stock halogen bulbs. But then again, it may have just been the factory projector headlight assembly. I do a lot of driving back and forth between Melbourne and Bendigo particularly night driving so lighting is very important (not to mention the look too) :
Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec Dave
I(not to mention the look too) :
Oh dear, you aren't one of those are you

If increased viewable distance ta night is a must (I think the stock projectors are great) then forget aftermarket HID's, put on some decent quality driving lights.

Not nearly as bogan as they are actually functional.

:
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Oh dear, you aren't one of those are you

If increased viewable distance ta night is a must (I think the stock projectors are great) then forget aftermarket HID's, put on some decent quality driving lights.

Not nearly as bogan as they are actually functional.

:
Nah no thanks, I'm already in Bendigo half the time so don't want to make it look bleedingly obvious that i'm a converted country boy cause I'm not. As much as its nice and quiet up there and people are quite friendly, I'm still a metro person so I'd prefer the stock look of the car witout extra added on bits that don't really belong and make me look like I'm from the country
(stereotypical view). But I still like the HID look and its easily installed and it'll complete the Euro picture. That's my opinion anyway. :eclipsee_
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Ben85

I agree, i love the HID look, when the bulbs i have go thats definately my next mod!!! A set of HID's at about 8000Kelvin i reckon. Thats blue enough.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
I agree, i love the HID look, when the bulbs i have go thats definately my next mod!!! A set of HID's at about 8000Kelvin i reckon. Thats blue enough.
I thought about 8000K but thought that it be too blue so I decided on 6000K the last time and was very hapy with the combination of white and blue so most likely will stick with that. Now, its all just the matter of the long long long wait for the car. Problem I've been told is, the higher you go, the less light output you get.
Old 29-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
curik

Update: Tried fitting in the H7's in, but the base of the HID bulbs are thicker compared to stock (about 3mm vs 1mm I'd say) so the retaining clips wont fit without modifications. I will try modifying the clips when I have the time.

Also the distance between the HID base and bulb filament is about 1cm longer than stock bulbs. I hope this won't change the spread pattern of the beam too much
Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
Zetec Dave

I had a similar problem when I fitted them on my e46 BMW. What I did was pull out the wire clips out and turned them around refitted them and hey presto a perfect fit. Not sure if it would work on the fiesta though. I'll have to see when I finally get my car (don't know when so still waiting)...
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
curik

Finally fitted my HID kit in! Didn't take long to put in, although I removed both housings so I can do them off the car and made things a lot more accessible. Here is what the beam looks like. Notice those two beams of dark spots on the ground? That's due to the bulb of the HID itself. That's the only bad thing about putting HIDs in a halogen projector.

Although it seems blinding, the cutoff line is actually pretty sharp and does not blind incoming drivers. I took these pictures with my mobile phone so the lights are overexposed. The HID kit is H7 4300K.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
curik

Finally I got a chance to get rid those dark spots on the beam. Turned out that the rod on the HID bulb is pointing up, so I took the bulbs out, and orientate the rod downwards. Note I had to modify the bulb holder slightly (by bending a tiny piece of metal) in the process. Now the beam is perfect!! Looks as if the car had OEM xenons. Can't be any happier. The beam still looks like my earlier picture but minus the two dark lines
Old 23-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
Finally I got a chance to get rid those dark spots on the beam. Turned out that the rod on the HID bulb is pointing up, so I took the bulbs out, and orientate the rod downwards. Note I had to modify the bulb holder slightly (by bending a tiny piece of metal) in the process. Now the beam is perfect!! Looks as if the car had OEM xenons. Can't be any happier. The beam still looks like my earlier picture but minus the two dark lines
Hi Curik, would you ming posting up some pics of the 'metal' part you had to bend? Still waiting on my car but will be getting a set of MTEC HIDs installed the moment its finally parked in my driveway.
Old 23-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
curik

I forgot to take pictures as I don't have a proper digital camera :(. But it was pretty straightforward, that little metal part was to ensure normal bulbs installed in the right position. But since I wanted the HID bulb to point the other way, I had to get it out of the way by bending it back. It was easy and quite straightforward. Do take both headlight housings off the car though, that makes things A LOT more accessible. Look in the manual on how to remove them. You will need Torx tool bit for the screws