Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #661
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntolhurst View Post
The price of solar power, also LiIon batteries is falling continually, and that will power most of the road's vehicles in, oh, about 6 years. There will be a glut of oil on the market, prices will crash, and only the easiest of reservers will be economic to pump.

You can put up a solar farm and a huge battery in 100 days. You could have as much storage as snowy mountain revisited all sorted out in 300 days. Or, in 1000 days, you could get the design and permits and political solutions in place for extracting and processing oil, at an economic loss. And another 1000 days to build it, if you're lucky. If people want to waste their dollars that way, fine. I'll keep my powder dry and grab an EV in about 5 years, which will cost far less per km and yet outperform almost any ICE vehicle. Its written on the walls.
Why not have a portfolio of diverse energy options, if the ev revolution is the real deal & it drops the price of oil, thats a good thing for industry & the private consumer
of petrol etc imo.

Another thing too, I'm against the corparatisation of private vehicle ownership, just in case the debate comes up in the future..(i know off topic a bit lol).

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #662
johntolhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Why not have a portfolio of diverse energy options, if the ev revolution is the real deal & it drops the price of oil, thats a good thing for industry & the private consumer
of petrol etc imo.

Another thing too, I'm against the corparatisation of private vehicle ownership, just in case the debate comes up in the future..

cheers, Maka
Why not indeed, would seem sensible. I'm thinking to keep the BA wagon, sell the FG into an EV for economic town work, while taking the wagon on trips.

A car is personal, and its done really well on that model. Computers were made personal too, then stereo systems (walkman). People it seems like to own objects that are personal to them. Smartphones ..

A car is personal. An EV car is personally owned, its still a car. A driverless EV that does hail service, is not parked at your place and is not personal. I would argue it should not be thought of in the way we think of cars as being personal. It can be owned by a corporation, because I don't see it as a car, not really, its more like someone else's taxi.

So I agree, I wouldn't want my personal transport tipped into corporate ownership.

On the other hand, a Driverless EV, that takes my son to cricket at 6:45 saturday morning for less than the cost of petrol is something I would welcome. That would mean I can turn up at the ground at 9, see 2/3rd of the game and debrief with him on the way home in the CAR.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #663
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Had a friend who works in Defence attend a conference a few weeks back about strategic planning, and a very high government official told them that, because of the two cyclones that impacted the northern parts of Australia earlier this year, there was only 10 days supply of fuel (jncluding jet fuel) left in the country. One more cyclone and petrol would have been rationed.
I can verify this (having worked on the tools at refinery's)

Don't be too quick to blame the companies for importing
Any one of the refinery's in India/Korea/Singapore would dwarf all of our's combined (incl the closed ones)
The one's now closed were old, inefficient and reqd massive upgrades !

If we took the same attitude about other imported products then the shelves at most stores would be near empty.......

There has been discussions in years passed to build an automated mini refinery to turn on in the event of a catastrophe, this would supply emergency services and essential services, but it reqd Gov subsidy, needless to say, it never happened (as electricity was/is more important)

*please note: if you compare the price of beer V's fuel in 1980 compared to now, FUEL IS CHEAP !!!! Yet I still buy beer without complaint
5 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #664
TheGreenKugaaah
Always Hoon Responsibly

If you think fuel is expensive, have you ever tried to buy a bottle of water at a petrol station?.. that s**ts like $5 a liter...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #665
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntolhurst View Post
Why not indeed, would seem sensible. I'm thinking to keep the BA wagon, sell the FG into an EV for economic town work, while taking the wagon on trips.

A car is personal, and its done really well on that model. Computers were made personal too, then stereo systems (walkman). People it seems like to own objects that are personal to them. Smartphones ..

A car is personal. An EV car is personally owned, its still a car. A driverless EV that does hail service, is not parked at your place and is not personal. I would argue it should not be thought of in the way we think of cars as being personal. It can be owned by a corporation, because I don't see it as a car, not really, its more like someone else's taxi.

So I agree, I wouldn't want my personal transport tipped into corporate ownership.

On the other hand, a Driverless EV, that takes my son to cricket at 6:45 saturday morning for less than the cost of petrol is something I would welcome. That would mean I can turn up at the ground at 9, see 2/3rd of the game and debrief with him on the way home in the CAR.
Like Maka said a few posts back
Govco should own some essential services, not private enterprise!
Keep in mind, government owned = owned by the people= US
Yet Govco has sold off many services we previously owned

Automated electric vehicles could be owned by the Government, near one on every corner, booked on an app and operated like a taxi service, all for a reasonable price (not for profit)

Slap me, I'm dreaming again
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #666
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going to the petrol station for fuel, Australia, 2026:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfL4xKQeSfo
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #667
AGH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kiwi prices last week.....diesel isn't so bad but check out the unleaded.

I use this site to find prices when I'm out and about.

https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/...20732999999996

Last edited by AGH; 11-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
AGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #668
johntolhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
Like Maka said a few posts back
Govco should own some essential services, not private enterprise!
Keep in mind, government owned = owned by the people= US
Yet Govco has sold off many services we previously owned

Automated electric vehicles could be owned by the Government, near one on every corner, booked on an app and operated like a taxi service, all for a reasonable price (not for profit)

Slap me, I'm dreaming again
Don't forget the three bureaucrats with clipboards that check each vehicle three times after each use to ensure the safety of the community against dangers such as smelly vehicles, torn upholstery or god forbid, dirty windows.

Where I get riled is apps such as uber that service us here, but suck our dollars out of the country. Service here, live here, work here and pay tax here, I say, or f-off. And that goes for all our global digital heavyweights. Google and the rest. Hang on, um 'petrol crisis', um dont know how that applies except to say that we might soon be in a post petrol crisis world where the motorist's issue is not petrol prices but a financially leaky national border.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #669
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John we are already moving away from that world - fast. US is leading, Trump has made it attractive for US tech/multinationals to repatriate cash, theres a quiet underlying trend of these tech firms investigating production at home. And denying of foreign firms ownership, operation or repatriation of profits based on IP and national security. It will spread to Australia, eventually. Walls are going up, tariffs are but one example. It always swings backwards and forth. Things will be more expensive as world shies away from the hyper-liberalism of trade in past 30 years. Luckily Australia protected it's manufacturing base through these times, oh wait...
Old 11-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #670
johntolhurst

We're verging on another thread here, but the mobilised opposition to the TPP was largely about potential loss of government' rights to protect us against corporate exploitation. So I agree. I want to see a far more robust defense against the 'service here, profit there' corporate mentality than what we have seen so far.

Scale prevents us from surfing the technology cost curve, which is why Li-Ion factories are sprouting in China. The effect on petrol prices will still be profound though. So the theory goes.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #671
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

& agree with you as well.

We won't get away from the 'service here, profit there' until we have domestic capital funding domestic industries led by individuals who are patriotic. For the domestic capital bit, Australia has always suffered from a reliance on foreign capital (todays version is lending short from NY to lend long into Aussie housing - as rates go up). This lack of domestic capital was the reason the original Commonwealth Bank was set up. And the reliance on overseas manufacture during the late 30's and 40's was why the Curtin govt set up so much manufacturing post war. (Edit: continued under Menzies) Eg Commonwealth Aircraft corporation, perhaps realising too late what was coming. This is a subject I keep bringing up, for history rhymes.

But that's off topic - what is on topic is the nation is very trusting to believe that 'tickets' to liquid fuel held overseas would be honoured in a real crisis, or if sealanes were closed before convoys were re-instituted.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #672
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

When we bought our current six pot car, we were coming from a small four cylinder hatchback. Really loved that car, but keeping it as a second car didn't stack up financially. Our weekly spend on fuel doubled, but it's only a part of the total ownership cost.

Registration,insurance and servicing for a second car can easily be a few thousand a year. That buys quite a bit of mileage in our larger, more comfortable, and safer six cylinder car. So I reluctantly let the old car go.

If geopolitical turmoil means shipping lanes are disrupted and petrol is rationed, the end result will be the same. We'll all be driving a lot less, there will be shortages of essentials as we are so truck dependant, and the size of the engine under our (cold) bonnets won't be terribly relevant.

Last edited by anobserver; 11-05-2018 at 05:22 PM.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #673
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a world war breaks out, what good is an Aussie refinery if it can’t take delivery of crude? It won’t solve anything.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #674
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
If a world war breaks out, what good is an Aussie refinery if it can’t take delivery of crude? It won’t solve anything.
We have shale oil reserves & crude oil exploration in Australia would have to startup again -

http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/o...y-industr.aspx

http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topi...rces/oil-shale

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #675
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

i have BP 98 20 mins from my home its BP refinery, E85 at the bowser, as long as that remains constant I am fine...

$1.45 for BP 98.. $1.65 for E85

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2018, 11:39 PM   #676
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unleaded $1.50 ltr in Port Villa on 9 May. They import from Singapore also. Bugger all competition there, as all owned by same company.
Old 14-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #677
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What Petrol “price crises”? If you own an EV,there is no crisis!
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #678
johntolhurst

You don't have to own the EV, maybe. If enough people do, reduced demand means that the high cost oil wells will go out of business and will become economically 'stranded assets'. Petrol prices will fall as far as they can to keep ICE vehicles competitive for as long as possible. We'll have lower cost ICE motoring , but will still be paying a bit more for it than EV because EVs will set the cost benchmark.
Old 22-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #679
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Shell V power 1.80 last week !!! WTF.
Back down to 1.65 this weekend.
Melbourne outer east burbs......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #680
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Just put V power in at $1.79

Still persisting with the 4500rpm stalled daily driver though
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #681
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Just put V power in at $1.79
Out here in the bush Shell (Coles) is always at least 10cpl dearer than anyone else in town.

But it's also the start of School holidays in Vic, isn't it
Old 22-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #682
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

You guy's have nothing to complain about, Shell V Power has been at $182.9 for months around Newcastle & parts of Sydney.

Most servos around Sydney's North have had 98RON at $185.9 - $190.9 all last week.

Around Newcastle, V Power is still at $182.9, BP's, Caltex's & Woolies are around $174.9 - $178.9 for 98RON, but luckily 711 has 98 at the bargain price of $157.9 around Eastern Lake Macquarie ATM.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #683

Saw $1.90.9 v power at landilo (Sydney nw) 5 days & it doesn't look like its ready to come down!
4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #684
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coming back from Heathcote today and saw 91 ULP $1.67.9 at a shell coming into Melbourne!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #685
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

They're getting us ready for $1.80 to $2.00 a litre next year.
It's all about tightening local supply, not running out but just enough to squeeze us more.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #686
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I am getting this. 150mpg

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #687
JK47

Arronm ,you would look good towing your F6 to the track in that ,not much room for tools and equipment. JK.
JK47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #688
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

National Fuel Strike

https://www.facebook.com/events/482802342224676/
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #689
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post

And what do they think that's going to achive?

I was going to suggest that they write to their local member. But knowing FB those that could string a couple of sentences together would then put it in their pocket, thinking that's where their local member is!
Old 24-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #690
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Last night I had to fill the beast. ULP 91 RON was $1.51/L at BP and $1.67/L at Caltex. No need to guess where I stopped.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post