Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club

ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club The one and only place for the ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club members Forums

Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Default An ORSM Conundrum

I am having an ORSM dilemma and don't know what to do... NEED HELP

1. fit gas and keep the EL

2. buy an ED XR6 http://www.countrycars.com.au/Centra...tion=B&pcode=C

3. buy a VC Brock : and leave the Ford scene

4. other - I'm open to suggestions.....

RED FGII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

ORSMVC ?

Mate I'd go Gas on the EL.

Matt

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

ed would be nice, but why is gas essential ? it's hardly much of a saving, especially with the initial outlay of cash, plus in a few years it's going to skyrocket anyway from what i've heard!

keep the el, screw the gas!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Whats the actual issue, mind you the ed is a nice car with a couple of mods
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

the issue is having a weekly $90 fuel bill, without any play driving.
im sick of the car, in a big way
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

seems you need a bum around for weekly driving, an old laser will get you a to b
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
ORSMF6
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM5LTR
i wish my fuel bill was only that ... try doubling it ... i am lucky to get 400k per tank .. maybe i need to stop pushing my foot down so much ...
what about buy a postie bike .. they are cheap to run ... lol
I think gas works out not to bad with the goverment rebate it doesnt cost that much .. maybe check it out .. there are people running gas most of the time but when ya got the boot in the injects fuel with the gas to give ya the power ...

Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSMF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I would do costing on gas, check out the rebates etc. Your car is far too nice and had way to much effort to let it go.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i juat had my au xls ute converted to gas it cost me 2700 total, i got 2 g back with the rebate, and being a ute they put a cat back exhaust ( 2.5 inch this was to ro route around the gas tank) and new plugs and leads.. i have had no issues at all and barely looses power. i used to cost me 100 bucks to fill and i would get 500 ishfrom a tank. now it cost me 30 to 35 to fill and i get 420 ish. do the maths i guess i couldnt go wrong! but look into it first. depend where you are i can reccomend a really good installer. he is in sunbury

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I too would look down the gas route, your not goign to get anywhere near the price for the EL as you should get, with all the hard work and small details you have put in it.

KEEP THE PUMBA.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMF6
i wish my fuel bill was only that ... try doubling it ... i am lucky to get 400k per tank .. maybe i need to stop pushing my foot down so much ...
what about buy a postie bike .. they are cheap to run ... lol
I think gas works out not to bad with the goverment rebate it doesnt cost that much .. maybe check it out .. there are people running gas most of the time but when ya got the boot in the injects fuel with the gas to give ya the power ...

YES WELL,ive been on 75% (and falling)of my wage for some time now......$90 is a huge amount
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

mine is on gas as most may know. i find it really good. $40-$50 fill up. you loose a lot of power when on gas but for cruising around its fine. if i was you tony i would consider it for sure.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Tone think of how much it would cost to get another car man with stamp duty and transfer fees, hang on to the beast you will be glad you did in the long run.
ORSM-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

Definitely keep your car, you've put so much effort and time into it to just let it go. Also, you know your car inside-out, where with another one there could be lotsa things that need to be repaired/replaced.

I might be biased, but if I was you I would put it on gas. Saying that, go for the VSI system, like I have in mine. It is much better than the mixer type. No backfiring, stalling, loss in power etc. I converted mine 7 months ago and since then hasn't missed a bit. It might cost a bit more than the old system, but it's worth it, especially after the gov rebate. With the weekly savings, you'll get back that money very soon.

Just for a record, the Numurkah trip costed me about $35, and Wagga about $70.

If you decide to go for it, give a call to APS in Frankston, they're the mob that did mine and also a first VSI BA XR6T in oz. Very professional guys, I would recommend them to everyone. My work mate converted his 5.0 EL Fairlane recently through them on my recommendation, and is more than happy.

So Tone, keep the Pumba and VSI it!

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
XXRR-50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Tony from my experience youwould miss the car dearly especially all the hard work you have put in to it....Go the Gas dude and call the guys down at APS frankston for the system as l know Mick down there and they do know what they are doing l was even thinking of putting the XR8 on gas from them as they got some very good RWKW out of a BA XR8 so mate l think this would be the best option as above said you could buy someone elses problem at least you know what yours has had or may need in the future...

Cheers Chris
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM5LTR
I hear ya, but mate, with today's fuel prices as they are it doesn't matter what you drive over 4 cylinders. It's all going to cost. Laminge has the best suggestion, garage your baby and buy an old 4 banger for your duties. Keep the ORSM5LTR, you know we want you to.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #17
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

think i may go and look at the ED, its still 4 sale
Old 21-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
MR_LON
ORSMT5

keep in mond you will pay more for insurance for the ED as it has the XR6 name attached to it, insurance companies use that as an excuse to classify it as a sports car, the insurance is double that of a non sports falcon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
ORSMEB
Steve

Don't do it man. Seriously....I have nothing to say but DON'T DO IT!