Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #121
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: FPV GT-R spec vs HSV GTS

and don't pick on rodge...hes has proven plenty of times he approaches it MOST of the time with little bias. He has pointed out himself number of times that the srt still doesn't have that good gearbox yet..build quality may be an issue along with it being a brand new model with no chance to see what the others retaliate with. That's when the whinging can start if their is still a big gulf between certain things on these cars.

But dont forget one thing....the srts will never have the street cred or history that the GT brand has behind it...esspescially here in aus.

if you can get past the pimp daddy/average (new model) of the srts or the [lastic hsvs...then go for it. A GT is A GT
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #122
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeTwiceXR6 View Post
I wouldn't go that far
Easily would. Both are simply American multinationals who make rear drive big cars in Aus.
Both have muscle car history and classics. that bogan hate of each other is so 1970's
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #123
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
and don't pick on rodge...hes has proven plenty of times he approaches it MOST of the time with little bias. He has pointed out himself number of times that the srt still doesn't have that good gearbox yet..build quality may be an issue along with it being a brand new model with no chance to see what the others retaliate with. That's when the whinging can start if their is still a big gulf between certain things on these cars.

But dont forget one thing....the srts will never have the street cred or history that the GT brand has behind it...esspescially here in aus.

if you can get past the pimp daddy/average (new model) of the srts or the [lastic hsvs...then go for it. A GT is A GT
Thanks, its clear that some on here don't want an objective comparison unless the Ford / FPV is the winner, and one or two forgot i still rated the GT-P as the winner. Geez the SRT8 beat the SC GT R Spec aroud a racetrack, guess that grinds some people's gearbox.

SRT will pick the the ZF8 for the 2014 model but SC FPV will probably pick up R Spec kit as std or an option on GT or GT-P as well as adaptive cruise and blind spot assist. It'll be interesting to compare them again in 2014 model spec and I'll be reviewing the new VF too.... sorry to disappoint some on here but I won't be buying again until i've done a proper 3 way comparison in 2014...some people need to get over themselves and learn that there's nothing wrong with bias free comparisons....you know, just like real buyers do

Last edited by Rodge; 28-12-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #124
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Thanks, its clear that some on here don't want an objective comparison unless the Ford / FPV is the winner, and one or two forgot i still rated the GT-P as the winner. Geez the SRT8 beat the SC GT R Spec aroud a racetrack, guess that grinds some people's gearbox.

SRT will pick the the ZF8 for the 2014 model but SC FPV will probably pick up R Spec kit as std or an option on GT or GT-P as well as adaptive cruise and blind spot assist. It'll be interesting to compare them again in 2014 model spec and I'll be reviewing the new VF too.... sorry to disappoint some on here but I won't be buying again until i've done a proper 3 way comparison in 2014...some people need to get over themselves and learn that there's nothing wrong with bias free comparisons....you know, just like real buyers do
Make sure you allow the same leeway with other people posting their un bias views then.

Door swings both ways Rodge.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #125
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
that's a great point about the HOT TUNER tests. The might of holden aftermarket tuners had their fair crack at the few GT 335 tuners around and got absolutely trumped for the last couple of years...this year espescially. And that's not forgetting the money the holden guys had to throw at their cars to even get close to the GTs with 20g spent on them. From memory one of the hsvs even had over 100g spent on it...superchargers and all and still never came close. Now im pretty sure you can take your mate to the bank with that info
lol. he still doesn't believe me. the only way i'll think he would if he seen a GT beat a GTS. even then I reckon he'd say something like the GTS wasn't trying haha. I think too he goes by what some car magazines say as I know he reads a lot them or what people say about. I go by what I have seen or driven.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #126
EVLKNEVL

Looks like the only solution is to buy yourself a 335 and take him for a spin. Make sure you hold out on letting him have a steer until he concedes that the GTS will get demolished by the 335, every time, with ease.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #127
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

the main reason Rodge some people wont say much about the SRT8 is the fact its not a holden or ford. I know this is a ford site. i'm just saying. I'm a ford fan because I love my Australian made cars. (most of them). every car I have owned with the execption of the missus pulsar have been made in Australia. have owned Holdens, Toyotas, Fords and Mitsubishis. I actually will look at cars made in other countries as well. I actually don't mind the SRT8. I wouldn't mind taking one for a drive. I reckon out of the Holden, Ford and Chrysler offerings if I could afford them. it would be a toss up between a GT and a SRT8. I like the Senator but I like the GT and SRT8 more.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #128
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Looks like the only solution is to buy yourself a 335 and take him for a spin. Make sure you hold out on letting him have a steer until he concedes that the GTS will get demolished by the 335, every time, with ease.
trust me if I could afford it I would lol.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #129
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
the main reason Rodge some people wont say much about the SRT8 is the fact its not a holden or ford. .
Not really, I am long time Chrysler head with long list of ownership including cars in magazines, hard cover books, and multiple trophies etc. I am not interested in the 300C as it as a complete styling abomination and I could not care less if it was faster than a Porsche, I still wouldn't want a 300C. Now if they bring in the Challenger...... I will be all over it like a rash and trading the GT-E in without a thought.

Last edited by mcnews; 28-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #130
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
The times bandied about by people in love with the E49, was using a 3.08:1 or 3.23:1 diff. Since you could order the HO with 4.11:1 from the factory, they were sure to pull better times than the mags bothered to pursue.
LOL, this shows how little you know. Only a handful of E49 Chargers had a 3.23 diff (longer for racing on higher speed tracks), all the rest had a 3.50. Which is shorter again, but don't start to try and quote figures you obviously know nothing about. Read all the car magazines of the era and you will see that the E49 was easily a match and more often than not beat the HO on acceleration, the HO had the highest top speed, and Holden never made a remotely fast car in the 70s in stock trim, the Monaros and Toranas would struggle to get in the 15s and more often than not tested in the 16s.

The intro from one test in Australian Sports Car World.

--

"The stopwatches don't lie - but it's pretty hard to believe. A 0-100 mph time of 14.1 seconds! That's really flying - and the engine's no thumping V8 nor four cam V12.

"It's Chrysler Australia's 4.3-litre in-line six, in a stormer called the Charger RT E49. Chrysler managed to scrape through the supercar furore that killed the phase four HO and Torana V8.

"It had the first batch of its Bathurst contenders built before the storm broke, and in the hullabaloo over the GMH and Ford cars somehow the Charger was overlooked. So few people, us included, were prepared for the phenomenal performance of the E49.

"It seems incredible that mild (mainly cam grind) changes to last year's E38 engine and the addition of the new four-speed gearbox can have done so much for straight line performance without sacrificing tractability.

"The three-speed E38 was a brilliant enough performer, running the standing quarter in 15 seconds with a best of 14.8 and to 100 mph in 16.5 seconds. A Porsche 911S, generally acknowledged as the worlds best six-cylinder performer couldn't even match this time to 100 mph, putting down 17.1 seconds and getting over the quarter in 14.7. So the E49, which is utterly untroubled to lay 14.4 second quarters and record those 14.1 times to 100 mph is in a realm on its own.

"Has there ever been a six that went like this? God knows, we thought the Phase Three HO was quick, and its time to 100 mph was 15.2 seconds. What would the Phase Four have done?"

--

By the way, pretty much everyone that has owned both cars, favours the E49 Charger by a country mile over the HO. But this is way off the topic of this thread so I suggest we end this here, with facts, rather than defenders of the faith going nah nah nah with their hands over their eyes....

Last edited by mcnews; 28-12-2012 at 12:12 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #131
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Not really, I am long time Chrysler head with long list of ownership including cars in magazines, hard cover books, and multiple trophies etc. I am not interested in the 300C as it as a complete styling abomination and I could not care less if it was faster than a Porsche, I still wouldn't want a 300C. Now if they bring in the Challenger...... I will be all over it like a rash and trading the GT-E in without a thought.
I'm not very keen on the styling of either of the American variants Trev.

I hope FPV lift their game on the tech front with the 2014 model update so they earn repeat business and offer something that's not completly out of line with what their main competition offers, the ball is very much in their court and I'm prepared to wait and see what they do with it. I prefer the look of my car to either of the competitors and expect strong residuals will continue and its always easier to trade-up within a brand than trade across brands.

Hopefully the 2014 update brings fresh stuff to the table that's encouragement for this 3 time buyer of FPV's to continue on with the brand and hopefully that clarifies my position.

As for the GTS...there's a forrest green one around these parts that looks absolutly hideous, saw it last night and now its even worse, he's plastered the letters GTS across both sides of it in yellow stickers in huge font about 2 feet high...as though that does anything for it...ssssshhhh, nobody mention the word bogan

As for the Op and how to convince his mate e.t.c.... what I would say is this, certain people have closed minds and just arn't open to new idea's, fresh ways of thinking or changing brands, they just have myopic vision and can't accept that their version of the truth is open for challange and objective debate...you won't change someone's mind about something unless their mind is open to change.

Last edited by Rodge; 28-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #132
mcnews
Trev

I really liked the Charger (from photos etc.), but after seeing hundreds of them and the other variants, 300C, Challenger etc. and being in many of them during a recent couple of weeks in the States. Hands down in the styling stakes the Challenger absolutely craps all over its cousins, sooo much nicer. The only thing that looks as good on the road is the Camaro, which really, really do look the business.

As for Mustangs, I was surprised as I generally hate convertibles/soft-tops etc but the best look amongst the Mustangs I saw hundreds of when in the States was the convertibles, with either top on or top off they looked as though they were styled that way and looked damn nice, while the hardtop/coupe versions just didn't work for me, funny as in pictures I would say the other way round, but up close and personal and seeing so many of them on the road, it is the convertible Mustang that was by far my favourite variant, its styling just seemed to work so much nicer than the hardtop, where the steel roof seemed like a bit of an afterthought that messed with the lines somehow..

Funny after being exposed to so many in the real world how things turn around in comparison to just looking mainly at photos etc. Overall for looks definitely, for me, the Challenger and the Camaro are extremely nice looking cars, and my preference over the Mustang.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #133
Rodge
Banned

Appreciate your thoughts Trev. Jaguar XFR still rocks my world but there's the two issues of price and its a bit smaller than my car which is already a tight fit...bloody Christmas puddings
Old 28-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #134
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
LOL, this shows how little you know. Only a handful of E49 Chargers had a 3.23 diff (longer for racing on higher speed tracks), all the rest had a 3.50. Which is shorter again, but don't start to try and quote figures you obviously know nothing about. Read all the car magazines of the era and you will see that the E49 was easily a match and more often than not beat the HO on acceleration, the HO had the highest top speed, and Holden never made a remotely fast car in the 70s in stock trim, the Monaros and Toranas would struggle to get in the 15s and more often than not tested in the 16s.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant the time in wheels of 14.4 for a GTHO was with a 3.08, or 3.23 diff. Better times were managed with the 3.9's but they didn't test it with that ratio.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #135
Angeldust

heh, on paper, my VZ has a better power to weight ratio than the r-spec and the srt8. (186kw/ton : 180kw/ton : 175kw/ton ) therefore it could possibly lap faster than it.

and the megane was 143kw/ton and was on par with the r-spec

;)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #136
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...snip...
As for the Op and how to convince his mate e.t.c.... what I would say is this, certain people have closed minds and just arn't open to new idea's, fresh ways of thinking or changing brands, they just have myopic vision and can't accept that their version of the truth is open for challange and objective debate...you won't change someone's mind about something unless their mind is open to change.
Very well said.

To the OP, you won't be able to convince your mate of anything as it sounds like you are dealing with the Holden version of this bloke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
i dont care how fast,faster any HSV,clubbie,GTS is , or was or could be .....
Ill never own one.

No holdens in my yard,ever,end of story
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #137
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is classic.

P.S A late Merry Christmas Fordies.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post