Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #91
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: late model v8 sounds is it just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz137 View Post
Its sad to think that in a few years we will be all driving Tesla's and our cars are gonna sound like an electric drill.
I'll find a way to make mine sound like a jack hammer.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #92
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not car related and it is a V-8, but an amazing bit of kit (for it's age esp.).. Always loved V-powered 'bikes, more so if they're Italian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrS9-4s9Wvg

On the current subject, own a Cleveland, so, probably sums it up...........
Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #93
Juicy330

Can't beat sound of a lumpy Windsor but I must say fg xr6t with 4 inch exhaust one muffler and 400rwkw sounds the part on full boost 👌😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Juicy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #94
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Late model donks Boss 290 ftw.
splashed a stocky manual around the block a few weeks back

good fun
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #95
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonar View Post
Not car related and it is a V-8, but an amazing bit of kit (for it's age esp.).. Always loved V-powered 'bikes, more so if they're Italian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrS9-4s9Wvg

On the current subject, own a Cleveland, so, probably sums it up...........
Ooooh yeah,Ducatis and Guzzis,they are the sound..... mechanical music. I'm not that into the Harley sound however
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #96
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_classic View Post
Can't beat sound of a lumpy Windsor but I must say fg xr6t with 4 inch exhaust one muffler and 400rwkw sounds the part on full boost ����

I make no secret of it,I love the old tough V8 sound,but the turbo Barra ,man that's right up there,it's not an imitator , it's making its own sound,it must go down as one of Fords legendary engines, one of the last true hot rod engines.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #97
Juicy330

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
I make no secret of it,I love the old tough V8 sound,but the turbo Barra ,man that's right up there,it's not an imitator , it's making its own sound,it must go down as one of Fords legendary engines, one of the last true hot rod engines.
So true one thing I love most it's last true Aussie car built in aus👌

Juicy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #98
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_classic View Post
So true one thing I love most it's last true Aussie car built in aus��

Yep....I know I've blabbed on about it before,but it's a pity the US never got a taste of this engine,the whole LS world would have been shaken up quite a bit. To me a Mustang is a solid basic foundation performance car, powered by something like a Barra would have satisfied the daily driver crowd and the tuners and held up to the mustang tradition. Pretty impressive when the things can make that much power on a total factory block and head. Surely the unit cost for a Barra powered Mustang would have been less to manufacture compared to a relatively complex Coyote engine ... Its been said that the modular series engines were made to meet future emissions requirements but let's face it,GM seems to get around that with a LS so why couldn't the Barra,plus it would be more economical than a V8 ,now,it was never going to happen, but man it would have given the Stang a serious reputation,kick some GM and Chrysler butt with a 6 would make some faces blush...
https://www.motormag.com.au/features...ra-sweet-dream

.oh well,dream on!!

Last edited by XByoot; 05-05-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #99
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Ooooh yeah,Ducatis and Guzzis,they are the sound..... mechanical music. I'm not that into the Harley sound however
My V4 Tuono sounded epic!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #100
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Here's the thing...Yesterday I knocked off work , drove down the street to go home and parked near the main intersection were six newer Ferrari's..There were a three 488's , a 458 , a Leggra (I think it was called) and the the other one I'm not sure..They were from NSW and in Tassie group touring after the recent Targa.. I pulled up and went for sticky beak...Murphy's Law..the one day I'd left my phone at home for a few shots ..it was 2 km away in my XR6...I had my little Honda Accord .. Bugger... The Enzo people were great to talk to , let me have a close look one of the 488's...WOW..Bum on ground stuff...so low..The dash was more like a fighter jet than a car..He showed us a ton of stuff...
The 488 's were fantastic ,Can see why they are so liked...The guys and gals had been enjoying a coffee at the local coffee shops and were heading to the East Coast..
All six fired up as a few of us locals watched and listened..As ridiculous as this will read , I was genuinely disappointed...Was expecting to hear a distinctive V8 sound but no...Sounded nothing like a V8 really...or a more obvious twin turbo indication for that matter..
The 'normal ' V8 we're accustomed to ...although as a couple drove off they gave them a little hint of the Ferrari rasp as they took off...
I know they sound incredible when they're cracking on but for sheer 'in your face' aural pleasure give me a Ford or Holden V8 , modern or not any day.
Wasn't crass enough to ask what a 488 sets you back but I looked it up when I got home .. About a quarter of a million bucks or about twenty of the insured value of my old Mk1 FG XR6..Has anyone ever driven one of these sort of more exotic supercars ie Ferrari , Lambo , Porsche , later Audi's , BMW M series ,l Mercedes AMG, Bugatti , Nissan GTR or anything similar..It'd be interesting to know...Cheers...Rod...
Never been lucky enough myself ...although a trip in a genuine Phase Three 'HO' would be just as much fun I'm betting...
..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-05-2017 at 10:27 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #101
Warrenk

The length of the exhaust system probably contributes to exhaust note. The best vehicle to compare exhaust notes are the GT40 replicas. The vehicles have windsors, clevelands, coyotes and boss' engines. Although these vehicles can have different engines, one thing they do have in common is the length of the exhaust, cats and mufflers(or lack of). When you listen to these cars with stock engines it is impossible to tell any difference in exhaust note between the above four engines.

I do agree that mass produced quad cam V8s do not sound as good as the 2 valve engines driving around town, but after 3-4000 rpm the quad camed engine do sound better.

Warren
Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #102
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day , Here's the thing...Yesterday I knocked off work , drove down the street to go home and parked near the main intersection were six newer Ferrari's..There were a three 488's , a 458 , a Leggra (I think it was called) and the the other one I'm not sure..They were from NSW and in Tassie group touring after the recent Targa.. I pulled up and went for sticky beak...Murphy's Law..the one day I'd left my phone at home for a few shots ..it was 2 km away in my XR6...I had my little Honda Accord .. Bugger... The Enzo people were great to talk to , let me have a close look one of the 488's...WOW..Bum on ground stuff...so low..The dash was more like a fighter jet than a car..He showed us a ton of stuff...
The 488 's were fantastic ,Can see why they are so liked...The guys and gals had been enjoying a coffee at the local coffee shops and were heading to the East Coast..
All six fired up as a few of us locals watched and listened..As ridiculous as this will read , I was genuinely disappointed...Was expecting to hear a distinctive V8 sound but no...Sounded nothing like a V8 really...or a more obvious twin turbo indication for that matter..
The 'normal ' V8 we're accustomed to ...although as a couple drove off they gave them a little hint of the Ferrari rasp as they took off...
I know they sound incredible when they're cracking on but for sheer 'in your face' aural pleasure give me a Ford or Holden V8 , modern or not any day.
Wasn't crass enough to ask what a 488 sets you back but I looked it up when I got home .. About a quarter of a million bucks or about twenty of the insured value of my old Mk1 FG XR6..Has anyone ever driven one of these sort of more exotic supercars ie Ferrari , Lambo , Porsche , later Audi's , BMW M series ,l Mercedes AMG, Bugatti , Nissan GTR or anything similar..It'd be interesting to know...Cheers...Rod...
Never been lucky enough myself ...although a trip in a genuine Phase Three 'HO' would be just as much fun I'm betting...
..Cheers Rod..
A mate of mine scored a drive in a Lamborghini a while back. He is a die hard Holden V8 boy. He was impressed by the performance,handled like a go kart on steroids,beautiful engineering basically for the sake of it. Sound was nothing special but it was fast enough to not really notice...he was too busy driving and being careful.The owner claimed it costs $2000 for a pad change! Seems like an efficient way of lightening the bank accounts of people with too much money. He raved about it for a while,but he's back into his Brock Restos without a seconds reservation. Something for everyone I guess.
At the end of the day I reckon we all agree theV8 sound is hard to beat,just the flavours that we have a preference to.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #103
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
..Cheers Rod..
Just a couple of years ago I was lucky to receive this as a gift...

https://www.redballoon.com.au/produc...ive-experience

There was no aural pleasure in the lambo whatsoever.
Ferrari was much nicer in terms of the noises it made.
Neither however were as nice inside or out as my GT....
they were lacking the drama and theatre I was expecting..

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #104
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day XByoot and Bluey GT , That's awesome ....Both would be a fantastic experience. A Lambo gallardo and a Ferrari and a Lambo drive Unreal .....Forgot to mention that last week we had a few Porsche's , mostly 911's kicking about too...Same reason because of Targa , on a tour around the State.. To be honest , they'd be more my cup of tea..Ferrari/Lambo though are very very nice..On the Lambo's...Here's a top little clip if you haven't seen it and just listen to the sound track of the star of the clip...Proves a point really..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zjIbdQ0RQ ....Worked or not it's a beautiful noise still after 46 years. So is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbqOnclAqaw ..Cheers Rod...
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #105
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
The 458 Speciale is the last of the great sounding Ferrari V8's...

It's a shame they're all going forced induction now... seems Lamborghini is the only supercar maker sticking to naturally aspirated engines.

In the quest for performance and profits while also meeting silly emissions laws, today's sports cars are starting to lack character and soul.

No wonder some classic cars are worth a fortune today.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #106
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day....The W1 or whatever will NEVER sound this good and it's not doctored or artificially enhanced either. The modern V8's are more powerful (of course) but the sound track isn't this good..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6kMej-Bio#t=91.114445 Old school sound rules OK.....Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #107
FPV0002
FPV0002

Quote:
..Cheers Rod..
A short response to your curiosity I have driven a Lamborghini Gallardo and it was every bit as good as I expected...and more! Handled like it was on rails, the sensation of a V10 right behind your head screaming away was amazing, the car felt like it was alive and I was part of it. Just awesome. So yes a newer supercar I have no doubt is worth every bit of the $$ they cost. If you can afford one I'm sure the ownership experience is worth it! Me, I still love my Aussie V8s and turbo 6s for sure and the value and character they have is unrivalled.
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #108
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
..Cheers Rod..
I took a 07 w211 E63 for a test drive last week ( I am considering to buy one, not just for a joy ride) with the 6.2 litre v8, Mate the noise it makes is certainly comparable to any other modern DOHC V8. Personally I think the term luxury car doesn't sum them up properly. They are a muscle car.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #109
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
A short response to your curiosity I have driven a Lamborghini Gallardo and it was every bit as good as I expected...and more! Handled like it was on rails, the sensation of a V10 right behind your head screaming away was amazing, the car felt like it was alive and I was part of it. Just awesome. So yes a newer supercar I have no doubt is worth every bit of the $$ they cost. If you can afford one I'm sure the ownership experience is worth it! Me, I still love my Aussie V8s and turbo 6s for sure and the value and character they have is unrivalled.
G'day , Yeah , Sounds okay...It sounds better than the 488's from the other day on start up , that's for sure..
Did the one you drove sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtaHIZQDrEQ Then there's the sounds of the 488 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvu-wbCScQ
Then this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztB-CMfDD9k...
My vote for start up is still the mighty Ford V8 S/C as far as modern engines go..Just lovely..And the old Clevo from before..Who needs a stereo when you've got that.. ....Cheers Rod..
Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #110
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Wasn't crass enough to ask what a 488 sets you back but I looked it up when I got home .. About a quarter of a million bucks or about twenty of the insured value of my old Mk1 FG XR6
488 $250K?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...14458275/?Cr=0

The thing with the Euro exotics is they're not that burbly rumbly type noise the American/Aussie V8s make, they have this very high pitched shrill type noise.

As far as exotics go the best sounding ones I've heard, Lamborghini Gallardo with a full exhaust on it, it makes this soul piercing noise from that V10.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #111
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Boss 290 BF GT, with full Herrod Exhaust, headers, cats and full system, probably one of the best sounding V8's I have ever owned.

Sound is subjective, the annoying sounding ricer with the fart cannon out the back with old mate in the drivers seat, wearing his little brothers t shirt, his fat uncles pants and his baseball cap on backwards thinks it sounds hot as, while everyone around him is shaking their heads.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #112
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Ferrari 458 Speciale with IPE exhaust... naturally aspirated 4.5L V8 making around 390rwkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBB5xNl-uI

C63 GoPro footage... doesn't get much better than this for modern muscle !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qePTHNg41w

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #113
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a couple of Moffat's beasts.

XY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QdnpRT-pY

302 Mustang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYLrd7LS6zI

Seeing others have posted non-v8 Euro's, here's a Lamborghini Countach. Not sure if it's stock or not but an anniversary edition? Anyway, sounds nice too.

*Volume warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTYmQAFVwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUku...GkiGYNgQOBXgCA

There are quite a few good videos out there, but sucks when the uploader's put music over them...
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #114
Grom13

2 fluffy 3 thong slapper worst old school sound ever!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #115
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Arrow block,a set of SCM heads...this will clear out the ear drums..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNiIv-8YSQ