Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #91
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How to Ressurect the Australian Car

https://markforged.com

This company sells a metal 3D printer for under $US100k and a carbon fibre one for $3.5k. Those two alone would be mad for low volume production. If I had the money I'd do it myself. I'd start with a carbon fibre BMW 3-Series sized car, with a F1 driver borrowed for testing the car and to put his name behind it- if they could be coaxed to do it for the 'Aussie battler'. Call me a lunatic but that's my dream.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #92
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unfortunately for more than half a century we've had lefty politicians empowering unions, and both demanding unrealistic wages, and ultimately they have betrayed the workers they were meant to protect. Seems they would rather see people on the dole than submit to a sustainable wage. WHEN are these idiots going to learn that there is no "magic" entitlement, and you simply cannot enforce unsustainable wages long-term. FFS, its not rocket science. Much as you might like to believe that all bosses are spawns of the devil, hiding massive chests of gold from the workers, fact is that if you force them to pay workers more than they can afford, then either they find a way to game the system, or the jobs dry up.
Someones been reading the Herald Scum by the sounds of it. Typical Liberal mentality unions are the problem to everything. Wake up. Is it the far right business owners selling Aussie jobs away to stuff their pockets in their harbourside mansion. My old Boss was the typical capitalist liberal voter. As an apprentice he didn't even have decency to even pay me at the award wage but was always crying poor. Living in a mansion, 3 GT falcons, BMW etc and couldn't give a stuff about his employees. All my mates working for non unionised employers all the have same problems, not being paid correctly, no pay slips, no care and employer gets away with anything. You ALWAYS get shafted one why or another with non-unionised employers.

I left my old employer and after 7months looking got a job with a Union company. Safety is paramount, wages are fair, employees are happy and look after the company. Company also makes plenty of profit. Employee retention rate is over 95%.

If wasn't for unions i wouldn't even bother working in industry i do, why risk my life for nothing. Without out them safety goes out the window, wages will never be in proportion to cost of living. This is Australia for FFS not some third war country. Everyone should have the ability to a fair go and the Australian dream not living pay to pay check under **** working conditions.

I have experienced both side of arguments and although unions are not perfect, workers are whole lot better with them. And is the ONLY thing that keeps employers in line and honest. The equality between the rich and poor is growing an alarming rate.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2017, 03:46 AM   #93
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/545278/v...turing-sector/

Well it looks like some new factories are opening up in Victoria for hot water systems and solar systems and air-con.
Old 25-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #94
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there any requirement to remain local? Or will they take the money to start it up, then cry poor in 3-4 years and offshore the manufacturing?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #95
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Is there any requirement to remain local? Or will they take the money to start it up, then cry poor in 3-4 years and offshore the manufacturing?
Man people in this country can't take a bit of good news anymore eh.
Old 26-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #96
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
https://markforged.com

This company sells a metal 3D printer for under $US100k and a carbon fibre one for $3.5k. Those two alone would be mad for low volume production. If I had the money I'd do it myself. I'd start with a carbon fibre BMW 3-Series sized car, with a F1 driver borrowed for testing the car and to put his name behind it- if they could be coaxed to do it for the 'Aussie battler'. Call me a lunatic but that's my dream.
Very low volume.. get out the calculator and work out how many man hours are needed.
the end result is an unaffordable car, that you would need to give a min three year warranty and parts supply for..

Certainly not a car for the Aussie battler.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #97
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Certainly not a car for the Aussie battler.
Its all good, just change the definition of battler ... battling to keep it running
Old 26-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #98
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This one turned out alright? https://youtu.be/O9odhgH24oA
Old 26-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #99
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This one turned out alright? https://youtu.be/O9odhgH24oA
The one before it (previous car company by the same guy) didn't ... bankruptcy after turning out only 100-odd cars.
Old 26-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #100
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The technology is still in its infancy. Automakers have now started to move from using it not just for rapid-prototyping, but to actual car parts. PSA bought an American 3D-printing company and plans to start using it for their actual production car parts, structural even.

The shapes and complexity you can achieve with 3D-printing is leaps and bounds ahead of milling, casting, etc.
Old 27-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #101
Peterwl

This thread has some good wishes and dreams, so I will add another one.

Imagine a Kerry Packer, Allan Bond etc of today buying off Ford the production rights for the N/A Barra 6 and then buying off GM the rights to produce a VF II Commodore.

A Commodore with a great road chassis for Australia and "great" Ford motor in it instead of that horrible V6.

What a combination, with all the engineering done on both individual components, and just mechanical and electronic adaption to develop.

This would be a good car.

But winning the Americas Cup and taking over Cricket in Australia, was probably easier tasks, but they did them.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #102
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwl View Post
This thread has some good wishes and dreams, so I will add another one.

Imagine a Kerry Packer, Allan Bond etc of today buying off Ford the production rights for the N/A Barra 6 and then buying off GM the rights to produce a VF II Commodore.

A Commodore with a great road chassis for Australia and "great" Ford motor in it instead of that horrible V6.

What a combination, with all the engineering done on both individual components, and just mechanical and electronic adaption to develop.

This would be a good car.

But winning the Americas Cup and taking over Cricket in Australia, was probably easier tasks, but they did them.
I like the way you think, I wish that happened too. I heard a Chinese interest wanted to take over the straight six plant and/or design but Ford said no. What a shame. Would've loved it to live on.
Old 27-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #103
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Do they rely on local component suppliers? or O/S?
Kenworth use quite a few local content builders as they have since 1971 since the first Seattle cab trucks came here for evaluation.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #104
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever happened to this mob?

http://www.motoring.com.au/electric-...lanned-100354/
Old 28-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #105
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're working on a prototype to try and attract more investment. I wouldn't hold my breath...
Old 29-04-2017, 02:02 AM   #106
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Annoying how they and Ethan made these grandiose announcements with nothing tangible to get excited about...
Old 30-04-2017, 01:17 AM   #107
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also just read elsewhere (autoexpress) HSV is developing a 500hp engine for the Commodore.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #108
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://monocle.com/film/business/ou...ovator-tomcar/
Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #109
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://premium.goauto.com.au/austral...r-making-vacc/

Could this mean what I think it means?

Quote:
“The emergence of electric vehicles and new vehicle body materials may make it viable to build low-volume, high-quality passenger vehicles again, and possibly within the decade,”
Old 31-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #110
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://performancedrive.com.au/exclu...ng-ahead-3121/ Could be interesting..
Old 31-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #111
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Economies of scale will see them struggle against established makers.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #112
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I flew to Sydney over the weekend to attend a seminar. I organised a hire car through Hertz and selected a VFII Commodore S. I wasn't given that car upon my arrival but was offered a Skoda Superb 162TSI auto wagon.

It drove great, finish was excellent, plenty of power, comfortable seating and loaded with features. I was very impressed.

I flew back to Perth Sunday and drove back home in my 2015 Territory diesel Titanium. Honestly, the Territory felt agricultural and dated. I wouldn't bother resurrecting the Australian automotive sector, it can't compete against the imports.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #113
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon XV, great to see you keeping on posting the odd win here & there for Aussie manufacturing.

For the 3D printing thing, I've been going nuts designing and printing component parts for my own machines, it's very satisfying to see them come out well and work as intended. Not quite at the scale of putting a whole car together, however.

Another idea for an Australian car: take the qualities of the 60 and 80 series LandCruiser, and build them again. A certain size, certain tolerances in construction, absolute AAA+ build quality. That legendary unbustable Landcruiser without all the 200 series issues. If anyone, we have the continent that will punish cars to their limits so it should be us that dominate simple, unbreakable vehicles that also find a home in Africa and South America. Maybe the Steppes of Russia, too.

Edit: reviewing the 3D printed supercar, with its nodes and construction reminded me of prewar biplane construction, very clever and easily distributed to small operations without the need for massive overheads. Maybe that will be the hope. I have a feeling whatever auto industry happenings in Australia in the future will look nothing like those of the past.

Last edited by Sprintey; 01-08-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: new info
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #114
radler

Possibly the Ford executives could have paid a bit more attention to Michael Porters seminal works on strategic marketing and analysis

Instead of specialing in what they were getting better at and limiting choices and concentrating on say performance 6 and 8's they seem to have been way laid by all the competitors and ended up stuck in the middle

Strategic analysis informs management to either produce on volume and at lowest cost , or differentiate ...

I believe Ford got stuck in the middle, as do Holden and Toyota...

Australian economic policy also combined to make foreign investment less attractive for car manufacturing ...

Add to that, what seems to be a prevailing Australian psyc that cheapest is best and that seems to combines for a perfect fire storm ...

For a dinosaur like me who still drives a rear wheel manual sedan ...i can see myself in a minority...so be it ....

Ross : n/a fgx xr6 - manual
radler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #115
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Falcon XV, great to see you keeping on posting the odd win here & there for Aussie manufacturing.

For the 3D printing thing, I've been going nuts designing and printing component parts for my own machines, it's very satisfying to see them come out well and work as intended. Not quite at the scale of putting a whole car together, however.

Another idea for an Australian car: take the qualities of the 60 and 80 series LandCruiser, and build them again. A certain size, certain tolerances in construction, absolute AAA+ build quality. That legendary unbustable Landcruiser without all the 200 series issues. If anyone, we have the continent that will punish cars to their limits so it should be us that dominate simple, unbreakable vehicles that also find a home in Africa and South America. Maybe the Steppes of Russia, too.

Edit: reviewing the 3D printed supercar, with its nodes and construction reminded me of prewar biplane construction, very clever and easily distributed to small operations without the need for massive overheads. Maybe that will be the hope. I have a feeling whatever auto industry happenings in Australia in the future will look nothing like those of the past.
Totally agree about the LandCruiser idea.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #116
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Niche manufacturing is a more scenario for Australian vehicle building.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/b...n-factory.html
Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #117
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

Sensible idea that works even better when you manufacture in Asia/India with $2 per hour work force.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #118
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, will work even better when completely automated here near the best R&D areas for the vehicles. Save the $2 an hour and long supply chain logistics.

Last edited by Sprintey; 04-08-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #119
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Niche manufacturing is a more scenario for Australian vehicle building.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/b...n-factory.html

We've got some serious shipbuilding on the way, too, BAE in the thick of it.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #120
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by radler View Post
Possibly the Ford executives could have paid a bit more attention to Michael Porters seminal works on strategic marketing and analysis

Instead of specialing in what they were getting better at and limiting choices and concentrating on say performance 6 and 8's they seem to have been way laid by all the competitors and ended up stuck in the middle

Strategic analysis informs management to either produce on volume and at lowest cost , or differentiate ...

I believe Ford got stuck in the middle, as do Holden and Toyota...

Australian economic policy also combined to make foreign investment less attractive for car manufacturing ...

Add to that, what seems to be a prevailing Australian psyc that cheapest is best and that seems to combines for a perfect fire storm ...

For a dinosaur like me who still drives a rear wheel manual sedan ...i can see myself in a minority...so be it ....
This is spot on, they decided to throw their USP (indigenous RWD/AWD platform) away and become a version of Toyota. (+Mustang). Bizarre.