Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
daz68
Starter Motor

Default Anglia 1961 Vehicle Identification Plate Help

Hi there

I have recently purchased a 1961 Anglia 105e Sedan and want to restore it to its original factory external and internal colours and materials. Can anyone help decode the attached Vehicle Identification Plate numbers:

Serial Prefix: 2S1161
Serial Number: 3294
Model: 2111
Paint: 2-8-8-8
Trim: 991
Body: U4030

From what I can tell the 21 from the model number refers to 21 = Anglia, 2-door, standard, floor change

From another website I think the 991 for the Trim number gives the trim as PVC seat face material, Toreador Red seat face and seat border colour, Atlas Grey floor covering colour.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers
Darren
daz68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anglia 1961 Vehicle Identification Plate Help

Boy this brings back memories, can't help with decoding the numbers but you must have one of the few remaining Anglias.
These and the Hillman Minx were what old fogeys used to bring into the workshops to get serviced, happy days.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Mike Kirkpatrick at Yesterford has a wealth of knowledge on old small Fords.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember a mate had the 1948 Anglia equivalent and one night he rolled it and the four of us disentangled ourselves ( no seat belts in those days) and got out and set it back on it's wheels again and continued on our way. It had a couple of dents, but nothing major.

I can't help with the numbers on your 1961 Anglia but the name reminded me of this older one on show at Back to The Fifties in Minnesota a couple of years ago. I hope you don't mind me posting the pics on your thread ...

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought all the Anglia paint codes were letters.

This UK site is all letters.

http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub..../anglia-paint/
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
daz68
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Mike Kirkpatrick at Yesterford has a wealth of knowledge on old small Fords.
That sounds like a great tip. I have looked up his website and looks like a really useful contact for spares for the Anglia as I wade in to doing it up as well.
Old 30-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
daz68
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I thought all the Anglia paint codes were letters.

This UK site is all letters.

http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub..../anglia-paint/
I found that site as well and was confused by the fact that the colour codes all referred to letters. I wonder if that is because that was the code for the English assembled Anglia's, where as this Anglia is Australian assembled?
Old 30-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
daz68
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I remember a mate had the 1948 Anglia equivalent and one night he rolled it and the four of us disentangled ourselves ( no seat belts in those days) and got out and set it back on it's wheels again and continued on our way. It had a couple of dents, but nothing major.

I can't help with the numbers on your 1961 Anglia but the name reminded me of this older one on show at Back to The Fifties in Minnesota a couple of years ago. I hope you don't mind me posting the pics on your thread ...

An amazing job on that Anglia! I can only hope that my workmanship ends up half as good as that! That being said my son, who is working with me on this, is keen to do the car with a totally original finish.
Old 31-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz68 View Post
An amazing job on that Anglia! I can only hope that my workmanship ends up half as good as that! That being said my son, who is working with me on this, is keen to do the car with a totally original finish.
Good lad, proud and delighted that some young whipper snappers still have pride in old stuff.
Old 31-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all...In town we have a great little museum called Cranks and Tinkerers. It's run by a former school teacher , taught me actually , named Ian Summers.
Ian is also highly regarded on English cars , owns three Rovers 1954 , 1957 and 1967...Also a 1937 Oldsmobile , two Mercedes , a Ford truck ,a real one , with a proper flat bed..1940's not sure what year , and two Ford Anglia's..A 1948 and a 1949...He loves his Anglia's..owned one of them for 46 years..He's also a master modeller , aircraft , ships , cars, etc, etc...over 500 of them , many of which are in the former railway station building that comprises the museum premises. He also repairs organs , piano's other music instruments and plays them exceptionally well too..Every June Long weekend Ian and helpers organise the Cranks and Tinkerers Car Show with over 300 cars on exhibit and the local Small Ford Club of Tasmania feature prominently too..If you're ever in our area..Fingal Valley at St Marys , make sure you pop in and talk to Ian..He'll talk cars or give you a ton of info on English vehicles in particular. Here's an earlier ad from a few years ago . There is a new one in the new location but it'll give you an idea You can see a glimpse of the '49 Anglia in this ad..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBfZ1MPELY Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 31-03-2016 at 10:42 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all...Here's another link to Cranks and Tinkerers ...http://gobehindthescenery.com.au/thi...Pl97IU....Also go to G0 Behind The Scenery on your web browser and click on Things To do...and you'll find The Original Revhead..It's a short but great little video about a car museum on the North west Coast of Tassie at Wynyard..Just terrific...Very nice to watch..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #12
Phil105E
Starter Motor

Getting back to the original post about 105e I.D...
The serial prefix you have shows it is early - the last three numbers, '161', indicate first month 1961. This is in line with XK-Falcon-style ID plates. The four-digit model code is also early.
From late 1961 they changed to five-digit model codes - nearly all Oz-built 105e's were 21112 - Deluxe Saloon 997CC (61 whole cubic inches!) , Manual trans.
The Five-letter Serial prefix includes the build date - last two letters, month & year - see the Falcon chart. e.g. ABSXD would be November 1964.
If the other three letters follow a similar pattern to Falcon serials then the AB would be the Model (Anglia 105e), and the S would be the plant it was built in.. what is S? Does anyone know where 105e's were built in Oz? Or were they CKD Assembled?
Phil105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil105E View Post
Getting back to the original post about 105e I.D...
The serial prefix you have shows it is early - the last three numbers, '161', indicate first month 1961. This is in line with XK-Falcon-style ID plates. The four-digit model code is also early.
From late 1961 they changed to five-digit model codes - nearly all Oz-built 105e's were 21112 - Deluxe Saloon 997CC (61 whole cubic inches!) , Manual trans.
The Five-letter Serial prefix includes the build date - last two letters, month & year - see the Falcon chart. e.g. ABSXD would be November 1964.
If the other three letters follow a similar pattern to Falcon serials then the AB would be the Model (Anglia 105e), and the S would be the plant it was built in.. what is S? Does anyone know where 105e's were built in Oz? Or were they CKD Assembled?
I am sure that they were assembled at Homebush, Sydney