Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #91
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sick of GT fakes advertised as original.

i'm pretty sure there is a market for fakes, as a real one is never going to driven on the road, fakes are a cheaper way to get into a nice weekend cruiser

my brother is in the market for an XW/XY but doesn't care if its a 500 or GT but even then its $50k for a nice original car, he wants a clean plain wagon but even then its either rough or over $50k

p.s. that onyx black GT phase 3 was probably not a phase 3 just a GT??? maybe...
plenty had a HO sticker put on the glovebox
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #92
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the starting price is an indicator. Shame on you for thinking you'll find an original GT in decent shape for 5 numbers in front of the decimal.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #93
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Monty View Post
That second vid is of my uncle Ronnies old xy, theres a bit of a story behind it, and the reason it wasn't restored (including Lichen and crap on bonnet etc).
Whatever the reason , it'd be great to see her like she is ..What a beaut GT ...She's got real character ..Could say I'm 'lichen' her very much .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #94
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is worth a watch IMO ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYwpM3hag90 ..

A few things I didn't know ..not that that's unusual ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #95
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

update from my last post here
this is a stocker XW my brother just bought
only about 10x the price from new in 1970

if it was a 1980 XD wagon it would be lucky to match the new car price of $10k

if it was a 1990 EA wagon it would be worth 10x less than new so about $2500 for a decent one

I think its the XW/XY thing that keeps values sky high

BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #96
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks a lot like the one I was eyeing off about 7 years ago.
Immaculate and advertised at $12,500.
Good value then I thought (I love wagons) but a bargain today and really not all that long ago.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #97
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps we should rename this "sick of auction houses telling porky pies about sales"?
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #98
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
At the end of the day, if someone is silly enough to pay 50k for a fake anything, more fool them.
Is it any worse than paying $750,000 for a real one?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #99
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm waiting for the day someone re tools a complete body and sells all the remanufactured parts to go with one. Bit like the Mustangs and Camaro's kits from the US.
From looking over car sales, ebay etc, I reckon its one of the reasons average older Mustangs don't seem to command those really high prices.

ebV8, your brother scored a really nice wagon.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #100
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm waiting for the day someone re tools a complete body and sells all the remanufactured parts to go with one. Bit like the Mustangs and Camaro's kits from the US.
From looking over car sales, ebay etc, I reckon its one of the reasons average older Mustangs don't seem to command those really high prices.

ebV8, your brother scored a really nice wagon.
Been discussed b4. Won't happen in Australia - won't pass ADRs, etc.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
update from my last post here
this is a stocker XW my brother just bought
only about 10x the price from new in 1970

if it was a 1980 XD wagon it would be lucky to match the new car price of $10k

if it was a 1990 EA wagon it would be worth 10x less than new so about $2500 for a decent one

I think its the XW/XY thing that keeps values sky high

When the baby boomers die out they won't be worth real high values anymore as its not so much Gen Y/Gen Z really into the old school stuff - demand is high from them for nostalgia reasons.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #102
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Been discussed b4. Won't happen in Australia - won't pass ADRs, etc.
Trailer queens don't have to be registered.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #103
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Trailer queens don't have to be registered.
might just post this here
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fo...at-sema-84179/
could be interesting
and According to Ford, these licensed-and-approved body shells (be it for the US but still they have DR's too don't they)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #104
Paul Knowles
PK3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BA.GT.332
I brought my BA GT in Feb this year, had 198,000km on it when I got it, now has about 202,000km.

A few months before I brought it, it won best BA GT @ the Valla GT nationals, not bad for a higher km car.

Ive taken it to Willowbank and track days at Queensland Raceway and not one issue.... besides the brakes..... but have brought new big brakes for it .
If you are a regular to the sales classified, you’ll suspect all GT’s for sale under $80000 are replica’s, tributes or fakes. Unfortunately it’s the old supply and demand story. Too many want one and some are willing to spent silly money on rusted wrecks just to own a vehicle that has all the appeal of the original, plenty of street cred, but maybe missing that $300,000 tag.
Jee! Who would have thought a XD or XF would be worth $10,000.
Why does anybody spend $50,000 on a rough riding Ute and a extra $20,000 to get the same vehicle with a bit more bling. That $20,000 could buy a wicked motor cycle or another classic. Or some see fit to blow $50,000 on a Harley, each to their own and we love to see the variety, otherwise we would all drive Camry’s.
Paul Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #105
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its an intriguing metaphysical question; what defines a GT, and I can see why matching numbers is important.

If one starts with two rusted-out busted-**** hulks, and does a quality rebuild from the ground up, to GT (or even HO) specifications, producing two identical cars. The rebuilds will cost the same, and logic dictates the finished products should have the same value.
But one of the cars has that magical code on the firewall, making it a genuine GT, whilst the other is a faker. Suddenly its worth a lot more?

What if you had to rebuild it from the A-pillar back with a donor body, is it still a genuine GT?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #106
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Its an intriguing metaphysical question; what defines a GT, and I can see why matching numbers is important.

If one starts with two rusted-out busted-**** hulks, and does a quality rebuild from the ground up, to GT (or even HO) specifications, producing two identical cars. The rebuilds will cost the same, and logic dictates the finished products should have the same value.
But one of the cars has that magical code on the firewall, making it a genuine GT, whilst the other is a faker. Suddenly its worth a lot more?

What if you had to rebuild it from the A-pillar back with a donor body, is it still a genuine GT?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #107
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I may get shot down about this, but after nearly 50 years since the heyday of the GT, does it really matter to the driver if it is a fake or real. If a replica GTHO is made from a Falcon 500, restored properly, using NOS correct or improved parts, does that lessen the enjoyment of having one ?
There are a lot of pedants out there that will know the difference and dismiss it, but to the average enthusiast, if it looks like a GT, sounds like a GT, it is a GT.

I, and a lot of other young blokes at ‘the time’ could afford to buy one new, but the running costs and insurance made it impossible to own one. And, sometimes the practicality of owning a ‘now desirable car’ back when, was somewhat short of expectations.
I bought a LH Torana SLR new, and traded it 12 months later, as it was the most uncomfortable, ill handling POS imaginable. Try telling that to current owners of one now.

In about 1985, I spotted a real GTHO in a Wagga car yard, about $6,000 from memory. Convinced the missus that as I couldn’t afford one new when I wanted one, and that I could afford it now, it was in real good condition, and I intended to use it as my daily.
With the potential purchase approved, and test drive arranged, but I thought the driving position was antiquated and the whole experience was a bucket of bolts, regarding noise, ride, and drivability. There was nothing wrong, it was just an old car, and drove like one. Completely shattered my memories and dreams. Do I now regret not buying it ? No.

My thoughts now are that old muscle cars are like pretty young blonde sheilas with big boobs. Probably fake, great to look at, but expensive to keep, and not all that practical, but bloody good luck to those who have them.
Spot on mate. Interesting that the thread was started over 6 years ago with the common expectation then that old school GT's would be back to 90's prices, someone even mentioned by as early 2015 . Most eating humble pie on that assertion. Looking at today we find that not only have both original and replica GT's shot up even further, but lesser spec models of those classics are now well sough after - well kept base model 202, bench seat with 3 on tree HQ Holdens for example are fetching top dollar.

I think also that replicas now have become more accepted in the muscle car world and like the guy in this post said, if it looks like one, goes like one then who really cares.

Also like the post above I had , what is now a classic, back in early 80's when they were common on the streets - a 1977 XC GXL Fairmont V8. (showing my age lol) and it was probably the worst car I owned , poor handling and a bucket of rust and in hindsight an impractical car to own living in the heart of Sydney . No desire to ever go there again no matter what they cost. Don't regret parting with it anymore than I regret parting with the first house I owned 30 years ago. An XB GT Coupe in Red Pepper on the other hand as a weekender? mmmm maybe!...But the accountant in me says it's an investment I could lose on and that $100k plus is better spent somewhere else - assuming I had that kind of cash laying about.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 05-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #108
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an XC GXL 351 back in the day and granted it was a heavy car to drive and refuel and was eventually traded in on a EB XR8 which was a better commuter car. I would probably own another GXL in a heartbeat if it was confined to sunny day status. I own a US Falcon now because they are better value than even the base models of our domestic cars.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #109
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Yes. It's a cut n' shut so worth a lot less, but the car retains its identity as a genuine GT.

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310086
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yes. It's a cut n' shut so worth a lot less, but the car retains its identity as a genuine GT.

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310086
Not GT but similar thought, I buy magazine called 'Classic Boat" and within the pages there is a continuous argument about a famous wooden yacht in England where they replaced all the planking, the rig, sails, spars and most of the framing timbers.
I think they kept the original built plate on the keelson and they reckon its the same yacht.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #111
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cutty sark would almost be that way now too! It the old grandfathers axe thing. Its had a few new handles and few new heads but its still grandfathers axe!
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post