Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #31
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I Have a Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
Not many took a liking to my excellent idea to recoup some money off those taxpayer funded parasitic vehikkles i gather .

Lets instead help out the Banks with taxpayer funds over the years and then sit back and watch the banks Rip us normal people off blind , or has such a thing already happened Ha ha ha ...No ? really ? Ha ha ha

Same goes for those american manufacture'ers , So what the fools invested x amount to build something , if the fools developed a business model and it flopped i find it obnoxious that the taxpayer has to fund/substitute/pay for the said fools enterprise , it should have died a long time ago and good riddance .

They can go and crawl back under their rock from whence they came i reckon .

Good riddance i say , remove the parasites on society and let the real world develop as it should .

$100 is letting you taxpayer taxpayers off lightly , who cares what your total bill is , pay-up! , , now that your macho aussie's cars are now defunct , then left the country after taking money not to , then left taking all the money and then left you with a can of garbage in which the taxpayer has supported all along your sense of macho heroizm , i say payup .

The non american GM/FORD people should take note next time when driving around , next time you see one on the road with some joker sitting there behind the wheel with it's nose up in the air driving around in the "Aussie car" , we paid for some of that ! , they're actually worse than a dedicated Dole Bludger imo ..

Paul ...
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When a dealer/distributor paid for a car built in Australia, the following were paid by the Manufactuer, their employees, and their suppliers:
  • Company Tax
  • Payroll Tax
  • Land Tax
  • Rates
  • FBT
  • Income Tax.
And the money left in the pockets of their employees was mostly spent locally, including paying secondary GST.

When a dealer/distributor pays for a car built in Thailand, China, or the USA, ZERO tax is paid. (Other countries IIRC its 5%)

(GST, Luxury Tax, and Dealer/Distributor taxes are the same either way.)

So I'll agree to the OP's proposal, when the Government agrees to refund me all the taxes I have paid on my Australian vehicles as per above.

Plus that portion of my taxes now going to pay unemployment to those Australian Workers left without jobs.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #33
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Y'all missing OP's intent...

Quote:
...lets re-coup my tax money and get it back into the coffers of the government so i can sleep at night...
Looks like we gotta fund-raise $12.87 and give it to Govco to cure OP's insomnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithless
I can't get no sleep.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
scoupedy

And meanwhile Apple pay no tax what phone do you have?
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #35
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Increase the registration costs by around 100 bucks
stupid idea, that would only net a few hundred thousand in a decade. How about stopping the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Google evading billions of dollars of tax per year?
(because they've made big donations to the major political parties for extremely favourable tax breaks)
Old 26-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #36
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I say increase the rego and lets re-coup my tax money and get it back into the coffers of the government so i can sleep at night , nightmares of all those GM/ford american yobs driving around funded by the people taxpayers at our expense .
You pay off one credit card with another, don't you?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #37
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Can we see some of the OP's really bad ideas please.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Can we see some of the OP's really bad ideas please.
Cane toads

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn
Not many took a liking to my excellent idea to recoup some money off those taxpayer funded parasitic vehikkles i gather .

Lets instead help out the Banks with taxpayer funds over the years and then sit back and watch the banks Rip us normal people off blind , or has such a thing already happened Ha ha ha ...No ? really ? Ha ha ha

Same goes for those american manufacture'ers , So what the fools invested x amount to build something , if the fools developed a business model and it flopped i find it obnoxious that the taxpayer has to fund/substitute/pay for the said fools enterprise , it should have died a long time ago and good riddance .

They can go and crawl back under their rock from whence they came i reckon .

Good riddance i say , remove the parasites on society and let the real world develop as it should .

$100 is letting you taxpayer taxpayers off lightly , who cares what your total bill is , pay-up! , , now that your macho aussie's cars are now defunct , then left the country after taking money not to , then left taking all the money and then left you with a can of garbage in which the taxpayer has supported all along your sense of macho heroizm , i say payup .

The non american GM/FORD people should take note next time when driving around , next time you see one on the road with some joker sitting there behind the wheel with it's nose up in the air driving around in the "Aussie car" , we paid for some of that ! , they're actually worse than a dedicated Dole Bludger imo ..

Paul ...
It's against the law to tax retrospectively a specific group because governments
from another time subsidized local manufacturing by giving them free money.

It is in effect a reverse Tariff.

The manufactures received less and less money for co-development during the 2000s
and all but stopped in the 2010s. The government made the call to do that because
it did not see value in co-investing anymore so barely anything was given to Ford/GM
that didn't come back to the government as increased business activity and tax receipts.

We now have a level playing field where the government no longer gives money to
local manufacturing, it's dead. So the car importers now keep all the profits outside
Australia where they can't be taxed. That's why Ford Aus seems to make a small profit,
all the money stays in Thailand / USA.

We no longer value add in this country, all thanks to people who think like you........

Last edited by jpd80; 27-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #40
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
It's against the law to tax retrospectively a specific group because governments
from another time subsidized local manufacturing by giving them free money.
It might be considered immoral or unfair by some to change tax laws retrospectively for any reason but it certainly would not be against the law and has happened from time to to time see https://www.alrc.gov.au/publications...ve-operation-0 and https://www.ruleoflaw.org.au/retrosp...e-rule-of-law/ for some discussion. Other than the Constitution, there is nothing that limits what laws the Government can make and so in theory this silly idea could be legislated. And if one Government unfairly favoured one group why shouldn't a subsequent Government make a correction through taxation (though I don't consider this the case in the OP's proposal).

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #41
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Cane toads
cane toad candy
I can see the slogans
Taste the explosion
Taste the rainbow
Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don’t
Have you felt the bubbles melt?
Get the sensation
For That Stormy Breath
and
For the Kid in you

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

So the op wants us to pay extra tax, is that to make up the proposed $64 Billion dollar corporate tax cut in the works atm, afaik that proposed tax cut going to many oversea's (corporate) entities that dont even pay tax in Australia but take plent of profit out of the country?

All Australians would sleep better at night if that long mooted & very contentious etc $64 Billion dollars tax cut stayed in the Australia, now wouldnt they lol..

Edit, heres a interesting link on the subject -

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/corpo...ur-governance/

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
It might be considered immoral or unfair by some to change tax laws retrospectively for any reason but it certainly would not be against the law and has happened from time to to time see https://www.alrc.gov.au/publications...ve-operation-0 and https://www.ruleoflaw.org.au/retrosp...e-rule-of-law/ for some discussion. Other than the Constitution, there is nothing that limits what laws the Government can make and so in theory this silly idea could be legislated. And if one Government unfairly favoured one group why shouldn't a subsequent Government make a correction through taxation (though I don't consider this the case in the OP's proposal).
Retrospective action is normally applicable when the government has announced the intention to
proceed with taxation / law change in the near future to cover the present situation, not the long past.

I seriously doubt that an argument can be sustained for enacting retrospective tax collection by states
from motorists on monies given away to manufacturers years and decades earlier, it's political suicide.

And that's before we discuss collection as a state based tax versus funding given via past federal governments
it's the kind of thing dreamt up by a bunch of whingers over a carton of beer.

Last edited by jpd80; 27-05-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 27-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #44
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Yes agreed; politically unsustainable but still not illegal. And lets face it, whenever they impose an increased tax, levy or surcharge they don't necessarily link it to anything.
Old 27-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes agreed; politically unsustainable but still not illegal. And lets face it, whenever they impose an increased tax, levy or surcharge they don't necessarily link it to anything.
and here's the rub with that, they do the moment they link it to just Australian cars, the Federal
government cannot force a state government to impose a selective levy on locally produced cars..
Not only is it illegal to try, it's also unethical to even consider such a move.

The federal government does not impose registration fees on car owners, State governments do,
so why on earth should state governments collect a tax for "mistakes" made by past federal governments.

The whole idea doesn't even make it to illegal because it's never gonna happen...
Old 27-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #46
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

As I indicated I also think it is a silly idea.