Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU XR8 S3 5 speed manual or BA XR8 Auto S1

Guys,

I have a low Klm AU S3, XR8 5 speed that I am thinking of selling to purchase a low klm BA XR8 S1 auto. I hoping it will be a straight exchange with the sale price of the S3. I have never driven a BA XR8, hence my post to some of you fellas that have had the opportunity to drive one or own one.

The BA looks great from the pics and appears to be cared for with log books. The AU is in great condition, I am just starting to sway towards the BA XR8’s. What’s the general consensus in relation to both models.

The AU will be hard to let-go, but the BA maybe more practical for the family being an auto, no one else at home can drive a manual, although the kids are at a stage were they are willing to learn. However they wouldn’t be driving the AU long term, more so locally or to move the car around the drive way, or in an emergency.

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: AU XR8 S3 5 speed manual or BA XR8 Auto S1

Hey mate, What is the details on your XR8? kms, colour, condition?
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And if Jake doesn't buy it off you .... I wish I had the $$$$$ to do so ... hahahaahaa
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

You are mad lol, buy a cheap Bf zf i6 & keep the AU imo, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

A low km manual AUIII XR8 is one everyone wants. Worth more than an early BA auto IMO.

The AU manuals can be a pain in traffic though with the slightly lumpy engines and touchy throttles.

Early Boss 5.4s had issues with the plastic timing chain tensioners and a coolant flow issue in the back of the heads that caused worn valve guides/burnt valves in the rear cylinders. Was fixed in 2005 IIRC with a head casting revision. They seem prone to spinning bottom end bearings too, have heard of a few doing it and seen a few for sale cheap with spun bearings.

If you want an auto I'd go for a mint AU 220 of stretch to a BF which fixed a few issues.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
A low km manual AUIII XR8 is one everyone wants. Worth more than an early BA auto IMO.

The AU manuals can be a pain in traffic though with the slightly lumpy engines and touchy throttles.

Early Boss 5.4s had issues with the plastic timing chain tensioners and a coolant flow issue in the back of the heads that caused worn valve guides/burnt valves in the rear cylinders. Was fixed in 2005 IIRC with a head casting revision. They seem prone to spinning bottom end bearings too, have heard of a few doing it and seen a few for sale cheap with spun bearings.

If you want an auto I'd go for a mint AU 220 of stretch to a BF which fixed a few issues.
Thanks Undertow,

I appreciate your knowledge and information.

Regards
Old 25-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

From memory your 220 has under 100k kms? A manual 220 in Narooma blue with those kays is worth more than BA XR8 with similar kays all day everyday. For good reason, it's a better car.

If you need an auto, i think the advice given here is sound. Buy an auto 6 and keep the 220 or if you have to sell, buy an auto 220.

If you do sell it, there will be a few takers don't miss this one Jake.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
From memory your 220 has under 100k kms? A manual 220 in Narooma blue with those kays is worth more than BA XR8 with similar kays all day everyday. For good reason, it's a better car.

If you need an auto, i think the advice given here is sound. Buy an auto 6 and keep the 220 or if you have to sell, buy an auto 220.

All up to Edxr6, I’ve let him know I’m keen, I’m so over looking for one now, this would fit nicely in the garage if the coolant leak is just minor, which I think it would be.

I’ve seen plenty of immaculate 220 autos sell for around 8k in the last 2 years
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Strattos

Haven't owned a BA, but been in a few and in terms of the interior it felt cheap and brittle to me - just my impressions.

Just little things like in the AU the dash surface and door linings have that little bit of give in them, making them feel better quality rather than hard brittle plastic. The seats are better and more supportive and the nicer material in the door linings around the door lever.

For me the 'XR8' designation brought more in the AU than it did with the BA, which to my uneducated eye, aside from the motor, seemed little more than a bonnet bulge and some different colours on the dash and seat.

In the AU it seems a much more special occasion having an XR8, such as additional gauges and generally more additions, but as I said, this is a cursory view as I've never really researched BAs.

Might be being a bit harsh on the BA here, but I am biased towards the mighty AU!

Past: 1984 XE Falcon sedan 4.1L.
Strattos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The AUb is a really bad vehicle, especially the XR8’s, the BA XR8 is far superior, you should buy a BA
7 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post

PridenJoy,

119,000k’s now, its still my daily, thanks for the comments, tough decision, it took me 2 years to find the AU. When I purchased the car in 2014 it only had 96,000ks still quite low K’s considering. Great cars, as you would concur.

Regards
4 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the AU and pick up a cheep BA i6 especially if the kids are going to drive it.
Ba's are cheep as , I just picked up a dedicated gas for $750.00 it will probably cost me only $1000.00 to get it up to scratch and on the road.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

I know my 107000km s3 manual au xr8 is worth at least 2 times more than an average auto ba xr8 in perth,some ba's are going for as little as $3500-4000 and the high priced ones just don't sell,ba xr8s aren't worth anywhere near as much as a good condition,low km au xr8.
The au is so much more sought after
If a good nick s3 manual au xr8 with low km ever pops up it doesn't last long,its only the 220 kw xr8 though, the 185 and 200 just don't get the same love,its not to say the 220 is faster but people just want the most powerful option,maybe bragging rights.
The 4 speed auto in the ba is rubbish,go look for a six speed auto bf xr8 for example,good ones are still over 10g here in perth,and ba xr8 had the most inherent engine issues too.
Ive watched the market for ages and these are my findings,im sure some wont agree,this is only perth,car prices are higher.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Ben

I couldn't sell my AU, I tried twice but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Even when I knew I was going overseas for 2 years I put it in storage for the 2nd time. I just got back a few days ago and am looking forward to getting it towed to where I am in the next few weeks.

I would rather ride a bike all week than sell it to be honest.

I might be slightly bias..
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

BAs are great, but heavy and cumbersome compared with an AU. Not a relaxing drive once you factor out the transmission. I don't really miss any of my B series that much, but I miss my AUs. And I LOVED B series'.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: