Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #91
max.l
Starter Motor

Default Re: WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

So, three weeks into ownership and still enjoying the FiST.
However, for the past six years we've always owned Mazda's in the family and build quality has always been absolutely perfect. Paint density, not so much but panels always fit, body feels solid and interior's are rattle free..

Was just giving the wheels a wash and i found this:

It may or may not have been from a stone/gravel, but surely the paint shouldn't flake off this easily?

and the bonnet issue. Pretty big difference between both driver and passenger side.

Both my driver and passenger window's are also rubbing hard whilst closing and i still can't seem to find a decent balance of sound quality from the sound system. I guess i'm just use to the BOSE in my old SP25.

A little bit disappointed and hoping this isn't the start of any bigger problems. I'd originally planned to keep this car for a very long time and perhaps never replace it.. but that's seeming less and less likely.

Last edited by max.l; 18-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
max.l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #92
Swoopdown

That sucks, Mines got lots of dirt marks but no chips yet... I havent seen any good looking mud flaps yet and anything local, so maybe some touch up paint for the bumper should be easy to find for the frozen white? and maybe some plasti dip or vinyl wrap for extra protection.
http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-F...Pair_16237.jsp

I hope its just me but I noticed my driver window rattles a little bit when its half way down. Iam not sure if this is due to the window tint installed or driving over a bump or something else. Hopefully doesnt get worse..

The interior alignments are abit hard to distinguish as my glove box looks like its not fully closed against the dash. I think the interior lighting highlights it abit more. The middle glove box has some movement in it and i get the feeling the plastic is not that strong.

In comparison i jump in a friends corolla and some of the interior plastic finishing felt flimsy around the doors. albeit the dash seemed to be simple that itd be hard to be misaligned.

I think someone mentioned the exterior body panel alignments before on the forum and that its common in alot of car brands. I think there's some rubber knobs in the engine bay that bonnet rests on/locked on might be adjustable not sure.

I cant comment on mazda but have a 2013 bmw 328i in the garage and having a quick look theres a subtle difference in the grill/bumper gaps on driver vs passenger side.

Last edited by Swoopdown; 18-12-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #93
Pursya

No doubt Mazda quality control is much better. That's why the 3 is a car that constantly tops the best seller list.
But the damage to the paint would depend on the roads you use.
As for the window. Warranty is your friend.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #94
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Drivers window rattle I too am experiencing along with a squeak from the clutch pedal. Will discuss at 3000km check. Haven't really checked out the exterior alignments.

I hate to say this but the audio quality in my WT Thai Built Fiesta sounds a lot better. Maybe I too havent found the right balance.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #95
Pursya

There has been criticism of the ST (well Sony actually) sound system on some reviews.
I was/still am shocked by the quality of the Thai sound system. Better than the Bose system in my old Eunos 800M. And that was quality.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #96
Skramit

Default WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

I haven't noticed any rattles or things like that with the windows. I also got paint protection so hopefully any nasty stones will chip the coating and not the paint but it's no guarantee.

As for the sony stereo, it's a bit tinny for me but I don't play much loud music and mostly listen to talkback or podcasts on my commute so no biggie.
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #97
ConST

Plenty of window rattles. Heck, plenty of rattles in general. Happens when slightly open, and after closing the windows (seems to rattle for a short period of time before it stops). On both sides. Dash rattles, rear panel rattles, boot rattles.....you get the picture.

Then again, I'm running on a 40mm drop.

I've learned to not give a crap about them anymore. No car will ever be rattle free. I've been in a Merc S65 that had rattles. At the end of the day, this is a car made on a budget, with the cost emphasis on the engine and chassis. The rest was done on the cheap.

The longer you look for things wrong with the car, the less enjoyment you end up having.
ConST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #98
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I found the stereo sounded average until I activated one of the EQ settings and have it a little more bass. Very happy with it now.

I get the occasional light window rattle when they're half way up/down. The rest is either rattle free or the rattles are so quiet that I can't hear them.

I'm not fussed though, no car is perfect.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #99
Skramit

Do u guys use 6th gear driving at 60??
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #100
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramit View Post
Do u guys use 6th gear driving at 60??
3rd, maybe 4th tops.

If the roads flat you could get away with 5th. (IMO)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #101
Skramit

Sorry I should clarify, when driving on flat road, cruise control for economy driving.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #102
DreadlyST

For economy, sure. I'm sure the shift indicator illuminates when I'm in a 60 zone cruising along in any gear that aint 6th!
But usually use 3rd or 4th so can zip through the traffic! Mind you the price of 98 these days, might start havin to be more economical!
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #103
max.l
Starter Motor

I'm regularly in 6th at 60! And it's happy to be there, but a drop in speed demands for some quick action once it drops just out of torque heaven!

3,000km inspection tomorrow!
max.l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #104
Skramit

How do you guys go with fuel con?

I get 6.8 if I really try to nurse her around for the whole tank especially dying stop start traffic.

If I drive normally with a bit of zip without being stupid I hover around 8.0 including my freeway commute.

Also how often should the tyres be rotated? Is every 10000 often enough?
Old 13-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #105
Swoopdown

Dam those are good figures. Im averaging about 8.7

I dont drive in traffic to work 20km each way; i do a 100km highway drive at least once a week. which drops it heaps. And i have a fun drive to the beach pretty often.
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #106
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
How do you guys go with fuel con?

I get 6.8 if I really try to nurse her around for the whole tank especially dying stop start traffic.

If I drive normally with a bit of zip without being stupid I hover around 8.0 including my freeway commute.

Also how often should the tyres be rotated? Is every 10000 often enough?
Mine shows consumption of 7.1 litres, which turns out to be around 7.6 litres physically.

My previous Fiesta's trip computer was pretty much bang on with its measurements/estimates, so it's annoying...but I love dat EcoBoost!
Old 13-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #107
Skramit

What about tyre rotations. How often do you guys do it?
Old 13-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #108
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prob do it at 5000k won't hurt.
What fuel are people running in the ST's? Says on ford they are 91to98 compatible.
Considering one for the better half and just curious on running cost, want a small runaround but something with a bit of class not just a shoebox. By what I have read on here they are a fun thing to punt around but doesn't seem to be a lot in the dealers going by carsales.
Has anyone seen any in dealers in Vic prefer not white though?
Old 13-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #109
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I run mine on BP Ultimate, exclusively.

If you'd like to keep running costs down but want a classy ride that's fun to punt around, the 1.0L EcoBoost Zetec would fit the bill nicely IMO. My ST costs about $15 more a week to run over my previous 1.6L Zetec which was a great ride.
Old 13-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #110
DreadlyST

Use BP Ultimate 98 aswell and get about 8L on the fuel consumption. Driving in inner sydney mostly with an odd trip down n up the M5 to my bro. (Foucs and Mondeo in his drive but he's not an enthusiast!)

On the 1.0L sport, I reckon there will be just as much intrest as the ST, maybe more from the ECO head types!

So who's racking up the Kms in the FiST, not me (Dam GTA5 is soo addictive and I got em both around the same time!) Not even at the 2500K mark yet but still had the inspestion in December.
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #111
Skramit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad View Post
Prob do it at 5000k won't hurt.
What fuel are people running in the ST's? Says on ford they are 91to98 compatible.
Considering one for the better half and just curious on running cost, want a small runaround but something with a bit of class not just a shoebox. By what I have read on here they are a fun thing to punt around but doesn't seem to be a lot in the dealers going by carsales.
Has anyone seen any in dealers in Vic prefer not white though?
I run 98. I usually get Caltex due to the shopper dockets and that's who work supplies so doing the right thing by work hehe!

I have seen a Molten orange at Hoppers Crossing this week. Not sure on KMs done though, but it was in the showroom not the parking area which is a good sign....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadlyST View Post
So who's racking up the Kms in the FiST, not me (Dam GTA5 is soo addictive and I got em both around the same time!) Not even at the 2500K mark yet but still had the inspestion in December.
Nearly 5k but it's my daily commute so doesn't take long to rack up the Ks :(
Old 13-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #112
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I run 98. I usually get Caltex due to the shopper dockets and that's who work supplies so doing the right thing by work hehe!

I have seen a Molten orange at Hoppers Crossing this week. Not sure on KMs done though, but it was in the showroom not the parking area which is a good sign....

Nearly 5k but it's my daily commute so doesn't take long to rack up the Ks :(
Thanks mate, will give them a call tomorrow. Tried two close to home dealers this arvo , both got one coming in Feb. one orange the other salesman wasn't sure yet what it was. Keen to do me a deal on a Polo GTI as well, don't look like a bad bit of gear but want to see an ST in the flesh before making any decision.
Better half is keen on blue or red or orange so just got to find some now.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #113
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Currently just over 4100kms (Picked up Mid November), and scheduled for the Piece of Mind Service this Saturday.

I only fill up VPower98 from the same Shell Servo near my house, which is also on my way to work. This would be 95% of the time. The other 5% has always been BP Ultimate98. I am currently on 7.2L with an average of 560-600kms DTE, which is mostly a 16km round trip to work per day and maybe ~100kms on weekends. The lowest i saw it was 5.9L Sydney to Canberra with only 500kms to its name.

My real test will be if I can get close to 800kms in one tank, Sydney to Melbourne. Stay Tuned
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #114
Skramit

It's not hard to get good fuel use from this car just have to shift early which ruins the fun. :p
Old 14-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #115
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like the proverbial rocking horse poo these things. Managed to find all of three all in orange.
One dealer still has a Fiesta Metal in the showroom which I'd never heard of so considering it also only thing being its technically 2 yrs old now.
Old 14-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #116
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

How much do they want for the Metal? Considering its WS based, it's (relatively) old hat.

Would still be a great ride though.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #117
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

21 drive away, saying that's below cost etc but it is technically 2 yrs old now so see how it goes. Searching found they were $22900 plus on roads so small saving I spose.
Old 14-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #118
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

I am currently at 11800 km and I normally use caltex/woolworths 95 octane (no 98 available other than united crap here or a very old and iffy bp( there has been trouble with there tanks in past))and I normally get between 6.8 and 7.1 liters per 100k with a best of 5.8 going Kilmore to Rye all on freeway/highway

Mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #119
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have read of air con problems in previous euro Fiestas did any of this effect the ST or have they been improved now?
Old 15-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #120
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I've found the air con in the WZ to be better than in the WS, but it's still not the best feature of the car.