Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Fiesta Performance?

Does anyone know the rough 0-100 times of the new Ford Fiesta? I'm looking at buying a car roughly mid/late this year and Dad is obsessed with wanting me to get a new car, but I don't really want to as its my money.

If you guys could report on the car for me, it would be great, looking at a base model one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
curik

well according to the manufacturer's specs (Ford germany), the manual does 9.9 seconds while the auto is a whopping 12.2s!
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

Base model is good value for money. Only thing extra the zetec has is bluetooth, usb, voice recognition and alloys. While its not a rocket off the mark, it does the job if you know what your doing in a manual.
wsfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

I wonder what the 0-60km/h times are since it is not very often you race from 0 to 100km/h!
Old 24-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty quick to 60km/h I'd say. It's only after 60 that the taller gears start to take their toll on the little engine
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I might look at running mine down the 1/4 when the time comes and she's a little worn in
Old 24-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Ben85

I think the XR4's take around the 16-17second mark to make it down the quarter mile.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Does anyone know the rough 0-100 times of the new Ford Fiesta? I'm looking at buying a car roughly mid/late this year and Dad is obsessed with wanting me to get a new car, but I don't really want to as its my money.

If you guys could report on the car for me, it would be great, looking at a base model one though.
I was the same mate, i didnt want to buy a fiesta, or any small new car, but i'm really glad i did. If you look at the thread below and you live in Brisbane, they have a demo XR4 for sale ($22 990 Drive away), and they do 0-100km in about 8seconds, thats just as quick as a poloGTI.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11255864

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 24-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfiesta
Base model is good value for money. Only thing extra the zetec has is bluetooth, usb, voice recognition and alloys. While its not a rocket off the mark, it does the job if you know what your doing in a manual.
and the safety pack as standard (which is a big win for me and the wife) plus nicer interior, little extras like ambient lighting, body mouldings etc.

As for 0-100 times, it feels quicker than it is but it is the cornering that I like with this car. Really surprised me how well it does.

Up against our GTI (at twice the price), it does well.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Yeah the cornering was a plus for me too, it handles much better than my EB Falcon!
Old 24-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
I think the XR4's take around the 16-17second mark to make it down the quarter mile.
Standard XR4 I got 15.8
Old 24-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Zetec
Yeah the cornering was a plus for me too, it handles much better than my EB Falcon!
Going from when I had a Falcon, I think a bowl of jelly handles better than an E-series.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Standard XR4 I got 15.8
Standard Focus with the same engine I got 16.2 (a few KW less and an extra 300kgs compared to the the Fiesta).

New manual 1.6 Fiesta I'd say late 16 second pass, auto would get an early 18sec pass.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Standard XR4 I got 15.8
I was only trying to recall from memory. So depending on the driving abilities, one would expect somewhere between 15.5 and 16.5 down the quarter mile. My initial memory recall of 16-17seconds wasnt far off the mark.

Old 24-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Zetec
I wonder what the 0-60km/h times are since it is not very often you race from 0 to 100km/h!
I live out in the country, so 99% of my driving is 100/110km/h and the Calder raceway is about 30 minutes from me, if that

Anyone else have any sort of general writeup on the car itself? Stereo, handling, comfort (sat in one and I like it) lights at night time (big one because of Roos) etc.

Hows it compare to say, a 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer/2003 Mazda 323 Astina Shades?
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 24-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

This was a good long term test of the car

http://www.caradvice.com.au/20106/20...g-term-update/
Old 24-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

Stock stereo is fantastic, and the CL only gets 4 speakers. Plenty of bass.
Read some of the reviews online about handling and what not, there pretty much spot on.
High beams are narrower than the main beams, fairly bright, but not much in the way of width.
If your driving mostly at 110+ the revs can be a little high in 5th, can get annoying.
No other probs apart from that though
Old 24-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfiesta
Stock stereo is fantastic, and the CL only gets 4 speakers. Plenty of bass.
Read some of the reviews online about handling and what not, there pretty much spot on.
High beams are narrower than the main beams, fairly bright, but not much in the way of width.
If your driving mostly at 110+ the revs can be a little high in 5th, can get annoying.
No other probs apart from that though
The stereo is something I'm keen to know about, so thanks for that info. I'm now looking forward to the Zetec's 6 speakers more than ever!
Old 24-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear they have a Aux-In for MP3 players, whats it like? I've got a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, can you test out that while the car is off?
Quote:

Old 24-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think so. You can in falcon for sure and focus im pretty sure.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the sound quality like through that? Majority of my music is 70s/80s and techno/hard trance/hard dance.
Quote:

Old 25-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

Yeah stereo has to be on for it to work. It doesnt charge the iPod while its in either, or turn it off when you switch engine off. Its a pain if you forget to turn off your iPod when you get out, only to come back with the battery dead.
As for sound, its like listening to it with your earphones in, cant fault it so far.
Old 25-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Mine definately charges while connected to the USB - battery meter shows it charging

My Ipod also turns off when the stereo turns off - after about 5 minutes
Old 25-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #24
south21

According to a uk ford website I was reading recently, the 1.6 litre manual does 17.2 for the 1/4 mile.That's about the same time I used to get out of my 1972 GTR torana.
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
golden
2009 WS Moondust Silver

The WQ Zetec 5 speed I traded was quicker (the shorter ratio gearbox must of been the difference) and went around corners better (lower sports suspension,tyres). However the WS is quieter, better a/c, stereo, seats, cruise and feels like a much bigger car to drive than it is, but you can't throw it into a corner like the WQ Zetec.

I am hoping the engine will free up after a few kms.

Cheers.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
mas89

yes..... my 2004 fiesta zetec with 75000 on the clock is ay more quicker then the wife's 2008 focus zetec with only done about 10000,
mas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I suffered in a WQ when I had to let the wife drive the GTI.

Found it slower, noticeabley slower than the WS and damn, was it noisey.
Old 25-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe

Make sure you test drive it properly as in make sure the seats will be comfortable. These small cars are good for city driving but nothing special on the open highway.

You asked about the Lancer, I've driven a 06 Lancer a fair bit on the open road and I wouldn't bother (this is a base model BTW).
Old 25-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
I suffered in a WQ when I had to let the wife drive the GTI.

Found it slower, noticeabley slower than the WS and damn, was it noisey.
Suffered? I've had mine since new and loved every minute of it!!! It corners like its on rails, and has a beautiful stance on the road. And from memory i think they are within .5sec of eachother 0-100km. So your doing well to "notice" that!!! Considering it only has 6nm of torque more than the WQ. I would find it hard to notice any real difference in how fast the cars are. I think your probably comparing the WQ to your GTI more than to the WS. I'm not bagging the WS out because i havent had the chance to drive one, because i dislike the shape, same as i dislike the Mazda 2 shape. Does the WS Zetec have different gear ratios to the base models? Because the WQ Zetec did, which made it considerably Zippier at speeds between the 30-80kph. Im comparing that to my sisters LX WQ.

Old 25-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #30
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Dunno mate

Power and torque seems to come on quicker in the WS than the WQ I had (mind you, our WS has only done 1500km so it will open up more I guess)

Maybe the new powerplant just gets it to the wheels better.

I might try and grab one at work and see what it is like versus the other one I had.