Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Price of fuel difference isn't that great really, certainly not if you enjoy/need/want the 6 or 8.

Say you use $50 of fuel/week in the new Fiesta. Let's say double that for a 6 or an 8, ie $100 (possibly excessive but meh).

So 52x50 = $2600
and 52x100 = $5200

Differential of just $2600 over the time period of a year. Not much really.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I'd love a new Falcon XR8 ... trouble is I get peeved off enough just filling up the XR4!

Petrol nowadays is just too expensive, I would hate to try and run a 6 or 8 Cylinder these days, I just don't know how the blokes who own them do it?
You must drive your little XR4 hard. I guess it's hard not too when they go as well as they do. But I'm on my 2nd XR5, and the Focus I averaged 9.5 per 100, and my Mondeo which is bigger and heavier, I'm actually getting 9.2 - 9.4 per 100. Which is fantastic for the Mondeo. Now I only need to refuel once a fortnight.

You might also do more start stop driving to me as well. Most of my 60 k's a day to and from work involves only about 10 sets of lights each way.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #33
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think your right about what you grow up with. I'm 16 now, and in my life Mum has had a VN Commodore(dont worry she bought it new so its not as bad), an AUII Falcon which she still has now, and dad has had an XHII Falcon ute, an NFII Fairlane, and now he has a VY Commodore.

And guess what? i now have Dads old Fairlane .
I could sorta see myself in a smaller car, but not anytime soon as i would really miss the power of a 6. But if they put a 6 into something like a fiesta, that would be fun :evil3:.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Its been done before! but newer hatch w V6's are fair pricey.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #35
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
You must drive your little XR4 hard. I guess it's hard not too when they go as well as they do. But I'm on my 2nd XR5, and the Focus I averaged 9.5 per 100, and my Mondeo which is bigger and heavier, I'm actually getting 9.2 - 9.4 per 100. Which is fantastic for the Mondeo. Now I only need to refuel once a fortnight.

You might also do more start stop driving to me as well. Most of my 60 k's a day to and from work involves only about 10 sets of lights each way.
I drive the XR4 pretty steady, but yea ... all stop/start traffic trying to get to work and back in the City every day, fuel usage runs between 9.4 - 9.6 per 100km.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
bigdragon
Starter Motor

I was driving an AWD TX Territory and I really loved it. My average trip was a minimum 120 km's to the pub and back over terrible roads and a trip to the supermarket was 900 kays there and back. So the Territory was the world's greatest car as far as I was concerned. Put the boot in and click on the cruise! But having moved away from the red centre I've ended up trading out of my Territory and into a runout WQ Fiesta! I love it. For the next few years I'll be doing a 90 kay a day round trip commute through rolling farmland and the Fiesta really trumps the Territory for fuel consumption. Plus it's great to drive on these roads; quick to warm up in the morning, lots of fun to punt about.

But I also have to acknowledge that I don't need 2042 kilos of car + fuel + me just to get me to work and back every day. Back when fuel was high I was spending $240 every second week on fuel + the car payments. Also I get the leather steering wheel as standard in the Fiesta Of course you do have to put up with people's preconceptions - an 11 year old girl student at my school came up to me the other day and told me I was driving a little girly car! No respect!
bigdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I like the Fiesta 09', has a rear fog lamp!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #38
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

so does the WP and WQ models
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
Old 24-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #39
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keepleft has some kind of mental trauma about un/safety ?
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #40
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Gotta watch out for that sneaky "behind you" fog.
Old 30-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #41
DAZL91
Starter Motor

Well, I grew up with a rwd 323, an EA wagon, AUIII wagon and a Pajero. I've owned a strange array of cars myself. My learner car was a 1987 Colt sedan, then a 2002 BA XT, then a 2000 VW Bora V5, and am now considering a new Fiesta myself. Tempting.
DAZL91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #42
red_xr4
Starter Motor

In terms of this topic, the bottom line is you need to respect people's choices when it comes to cars. For example, it's frustrating that the Toyota Corolla outsells far better rivals (like Focus, Mazda 3, Golf, etc), but at the end of the day you need to accept it as it is. It's all a matter of subjective opinions and you know what they say about opinions....

I was definitely considering a second hand BA XR6 Turbo before I bought my XR4 (probably would've cost less to buy the XR6 T - but fuel would've been an issue), but the reality was it was completely and utterly impractical for where I stand in life atm (part time working, full time uni student, no offspring, etc).

There is an issue with stereotypes regarding small cars. I was under the impression these primitive opinions had all but died, especially with the sheer volume of sensational hot hatches on the market, but sadly they still exist. A lot of it comes down to people being very narrow-minded. Me? I give credit where credit is due. I'll never discount how great an XR6 Turbo is, but I'll also argue the XR4 is a great pocket rocket.
red_xr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post