Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #3151
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
bit of a trick to be able to register times in segments that are near your house, and still have a privacy zone.... instead of using your own address, choose an address that is far enough away so that your house falls just inside the privacy zone for that address, ie, if you have a 100m radius privacy zone, if you put in an address roughly 100m away (in a direction where there are no segments you are keen on) then the radius of that address should just capture your property.
I can also list my bike as a cheap-as brand... the Reid Osprey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i would love a power meter. just can't afford one at the moment. in general riding they probably won't make a lot of difference, but on a tempo ride (riding at a sustained pace/wattage for a set time) or a long ride or a long climb they are invaluable in making sure you finish strong, or ride consistent.
It is good for maintaining constant power on straights, a guide for gear shifting, and I think my riding has improved an infinitesimal amount since I bought it.

I haven't been fitted up properly to the Merckx, and I'll be trying a new seat position in the morning to see if it stops my right knee from hurting. A few dollars spent months ago would have saved a lot of pain over the months!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #3152
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Been debating upgrading my reign lately. But I need to save for a house. So instead of a new bike im upgrading the drive train to a 1x11 set up compared to the 2x10 it has.
Shimano XT rear mech
Shimano XT shifter.
Shimano SLX 11sp 11-42 rear cassette.
Raceface narrow wide 34T chain ring in purple of course.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #3153
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

New top speed PB, 80.3kph
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #3154
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got in to the 70's on a descent once.. I became extremely aware that I was just wearing lycra, then I admit it didn't seem overly wise haha.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #3155
prydey
Rob

been in the 90's a few times. same hill the tour down under guys get over 100.

its rural, so no roads entering or exiting, its reasonable steep with no sharp bends and has a long run off at the end of the steep part, to slow down.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #3156
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

80kph down a few roads Im familiar with is not uncommon. The issue is Im more afraid of wildlife or cars popping out from the side at that speed. It just depends on how big my balls are on the day!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #3157
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Got in to the 70's on a descent once.. I became extremely aware that I was just wearing lycra, then I admit it didn't seem overly wise haha.
Yep, that thought occasionally crosses my mind sometimes too.
The irony is we see a motorcyclist going down the road in shorts and t-shirt and think - F..ing 1d10t Then we go barrelling down hills all tucked up with pretty much nothing on but 1mm on lycra, a pair of sunnies and an esky lid on our heads.

But it is FUN!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #3158
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Yep, that thought occasionally crosses my mind sometimes too.
The irony is we see a motorcyclist going down the road in shorts and t-shirt and think - F..ing 1d10t Then we go barrelling down hills all tucked up with pretty much nothing on but 1mm on lycra, a pair of sunnies and an esky lid on our heads.

But it is FUN!!
When you put it that way, we are pretty insane to hit speeds like that in what my mate calls 'glad wrap' for cyclists.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #3159
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
80kph down a few roads Im familiar with is not uncommon. The issue is Im more afraid of wildlife or cars popping out from the side at that speed. It just depends on how big my balls are on the day!
Laughter as i read it. Agree what a blast it is when you nail a downhill you know no matter the speed 50 or 100k
However i have recently had a friend collected by a koo and it wasnt pretty.
Its funny in a car i wouldnt dream of travelling anywhere the speed limit on dust in rural areas or riding my motorcycle in anything but leathers , boots , gloves and helmet yet on the bicycle recently in Bright i was doing 80+ ks following a group . Lyrca , foam hardlid and no gloves - stupidity
Yet it doesn't seem to hold the same fears as if i doing it on my trail or road motorbike
I can only imagine the speeds we are going to see with road bikes now equipped with disk brakes
PS . Spare a thought for the guys chasing you down Donna behind a car doing 80+ on a long skate board .Mmm definitely not for me i will take my chances on my bike
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #3160
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Laughter as i read it. Agree what a blast it is when you nail a downhill you know no matter the speed 50 or 100k
However i have recently had a friend collected by a koo and it wasnt pretty.
Its funny in a car i wouldnt dream of travelling anywhere the speed limit on dust in rural areas or riding my motorcycle in anything but leathers , boots , gloves and helmet yet on the bicycle recently in Bright i was doing 80+ ks following a group . Lyrca , foam hardlid and no gloves - stupidity
Yet it doesn't seem to hold the same fears as if i doing it on my trail or road motorbike
I can only imagine the speeds we are going to see with road bikes now equipped with disk brakes
PS . Spare a thought for the guys chasing you down Donna behind a car doing 80+ on a long skate board .Mmm definitely not for me i will take my chances on my bike
I totally agree. On a push bike we feel invincible, but on a motorbike I have never felt more vulnerable. I think its the fear of the heavy motor bike landing on you in the event of an accident that worries me the most. Where as my push bike I will protect with my life even if I get road rash, impaled with a fence post or made into a permanent hood ornament. haha go figure

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 07-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #3161
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It feels really weird doing 60 KPH on training rollers with a brick BBQ one foot in front of you. I never had the guts to steer off them to see what would happen.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #3162
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Fastest I've ever been was just over 80 coming out of Forest Elbow. Things started getting a bit fluttery and light on the front end so I starting braking after that.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #3163
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Fastest I've ever been was just over 80 coming out of Forest Elbow. Things started getting a bit fluttery and light on the front end so I starting braking after that.
I find transferring you weight to the front will help stabilize the front at speed. That and getting into the drops for a more aero position.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #3164
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I find transferring you weight to the front will help stabilize the front at speed. That and getting into the drops for a more aero position.
like chris froome in the 2016 TDF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5j2AKgw6rg

full tuck on the top tube and pedalling. was awesome to watch. i'm sure there is better footage around but didnt have time to find it.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #3165
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I totally agree. On a push bike we feel invincible, but on a motorbike I have never felt more vulnerable. I think its the fear of the heavy motor bike landing on you in the event of an accident that worries me the most. Where as my push bike I will protect with my life even if I get road rash, impaled with a fence post or made into a permanent hood ornament. haha go figure

Shav - i have been in that exact position asking the nurse the same question . At the time i had a Pinerello Prince and its was my most prized possession
Sad the bike didnt make a total recovery ! Its was shipped to the big man upstairs
Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #3166
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And even though I know that is correct, my brain thinks "Dude, you're scared of hitting the ground, getting us CLOSER to said ground ain't gonna help!"
Old 08-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #3167
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
And even though I know that is correct, my brain thinks "Dude, you're scared of hitting the ground, getting us CLOSER to said ground ain't gonna help!"
I just don't think about it at the time. Im a speed demon on descents so I am in the zone.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #3168
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I hear what you saying howver if your bike feels like its unstable at speed then you may need to look at head bearing , tyres and basic set up . Other than frightening the bejesus doing that sort of speed your steed shouldnt be a part of the problem .
Quite a few years ago i had a friend who would climb with the best of the group but couldnt/wouldn't descent with the group. So i said i would help. As i sat behind him , his lines were good , position on the bike was good so i thought it got to be a confidence thing. I suggested on the next descent he should ride my bike and i his.
He got on mine and disappeared whilst i was on the brakes basically the whole down. When i got to the bottom i told my friend to get the bike fixed or buy a new one. The head bearing was shot and at anything over 35ks it felt like the front was going to come away from the bike and disappear off into the crescent.
He brought a new bike and still climbs and descents with the group. Often we are so used to the norm that it becomes acceptable. In my opinion your bike shouldnt behave any different at 80ks than 35ks
Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #3169
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I hear what you saying howver if your bike feels like its unstable at speed then you may need to look at head bearing , tyres and basic set up . Other than frightening the bejesus doing that sort of speed your steed shouldnt be a part of the problem .
Quite a few years ago i had a friend who would climb with the best of the group but couldnt/wouldn't descent with the group. So i said i would help. As i sat behind him , his lines were good , position on the bike was good so i thought it got to be a confidence thing. I suggested on the next descent he should ride my bike and i his.
He got on mine and disappeared whilst i was on the brakes basically the whole down. When i got to the bottom i told my friend to get the bike fixed or buy a new one. The head bearing was shot and at anything over 35ks it felt like the front was going to come away from the bike and disappear off into the crescent.
He brought a new bike and still climbs and descents with the group. Often we are so used to the norm that it becomes acceptable. In my opinion your bike shouldnt behave any different at 80ks than 35ks
Admittedly that was over 10 years ago on a Trek 1200. I have a Specialised Roubaix now and will one day try again.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #3170
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

All this talk of speed i did a shuttle day t Falls Creek and had the chance to go down Bogong high plains road on my enduro bike. Fitted with near new down hill tyres and a 1x11 drivetrain not suited to high speeds, i cracked about 50 kph, was an interesting descent i can assure you
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #3171
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just don't think about it at the time. Im a speed demon on descents so I am in the zone.

Likewise, just go faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #3172
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
All this talk of speed i did a shuttle day t Falls Creek and had the chance to go down Bogong high plains road on my enduro bike. Fitted with near new down hill tyres and a 1x11 drivetrain not suited to high speeds, i cracked about 50 kph, was an interesting descent i can assure you
I would grimace the climb up Falls Creek knowing the descent was the highlight of the ride.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #3173
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out this pedal power guys....

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #3174
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #3175
xr8cam

As a former superbike owner, I never left home without the full kit, head to toe. Living in warmer climates, the temptation for some is too great, so out come the shorts, t-shirts & trainers. We have all seen this type of rider, decked out in sports gear with a Valentino Rossi helmet, and most of us yell idiot as they race around us. My point here is not to start an argument nor is it to put down push biker riders. I wonder if anybody thinks of life after a serious ''off'' and whether or not a layer of protective clothing is worth losing a little top speed or whatever. Remember folks, I am not stirring the pot, I am genuinely interested.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #3176
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll find extremely quickly that the gear road cyclists wear is for function over form.

Comfort levels are HUGELY increased when wearing the usual lycra outfits, rather than the bunching fabrics you would normally wear.

I will wear gloves because if I come off, I want the gloves to get hacked up, not my hands. Which I don't always enjoy having to do, but it's done for that reason alone.
Old 20-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #3177
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
As a former superbike owner, I never left home without the full kit, head to toe. Living in warmer climates, the temptation for some is too great, so out come the shorts, t-shirts & trainers. We have all seen this type of rider, decked out in sports gear with a Valentino Rossi helmet, and most of us yell idiot as they race around us. My point here is not to start an argument nor is it to put down push biker riders. I wonder if anybody thinks of life after a serious ''off'' and whether or not a layer of protective clothing is worth losing a little top speed or whatever. Remember folks, I am not stirring the pot, I am genuinely interested.
You aren't the first person to question a cyclists motives behind the clothes they wear. A lot of people think we wear lycra to emulate our sports idols, to look professional in some way or for some kind of fashion statement which is far from the truth. Just like Bourney said, it is function over form. 99% of serious cyclists (not to be confused with professional riders) will choose the appropriate cycling attire for its aerodynamic abilities, its ability to wick away moisture, its ability not to bunch up in critical areas and the fact that it never gets stuck around the saddle when in the standing position. It is seriously THAT comfortable. Sure, in a crash, we'll know about it. But most the time, riders crash at slower speeds compared to motorbike riders.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #3178
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post

I love my MTB riding and unfortunately due to the constant heat where I live I have to wear pretty much next to nothing so that I don't overheat. If I was to add the extra layer for protection then I just simply couldn't ride as often. I usually wear a MX style jersey with skins style shorts. I've tried the loose style of baggy shorts for MTB but when they got wet they chaffed on my knees when pedalling and then I had two big abrasions. I've had my fair share of get offs but I'll take those as they come, as long as I don't face plant a rock and knock out some teeth or break my jaw, I'll just accept it. Skin usually heals for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #3179
roKWiz
Cabover nut

On the cycling gear...
There was a time back in the 90's I couldn't leave home without wearing the 8 panel, 8oz Cdale knicks, 300 buck Giro helmet, Carnac shoes, pro team wicking jersey, Briko (remember them) glasses and gloves. I only considered myself as a sport rider.
These days I've learnt to appreciate the riding more rather than the garb I wear.
I'm quite happy now in a T shirt and shorts on rides up to 30km, still wear the shoes and helmet though but can see why pro riders and distance riders wear the proper lycra gear.
Probably the most important improvement when new to cycling is the shoes as they transmit power from your legs to the pedals. (and helmet)

yeah the MTBking in this weather at the moment is a killer.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #3180
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
On the cycling gear...
There was a time back in the 90's I couldn't leave home without wearing the 8 panel, 8oz Cdale knicks, 300 buck Giro helmet, Carnac shoes, pro team wicking jersey, Briko (remember them) glasses and gloves. I only considered myself as a sport rider.
These days I've learnt to appreciate the riding more rather than the garb I wear.
I'm quite happy now in a T shirt and shorts on rides up to 30km, still wear the shoes and helmet though but can see why pro riders and distance riders wear the proper lycra gear.
Probably the most important improvement when new to cycling is the shoes as they transmit power from your legs to the pedals. (and helmet)

yeah the MTBking in this weather at the moment is a killer.

I'd be happy in anything too except my OCD won't allow me to listen to the "Swoosh" that occurs with any other shorts than above the knee Lycra shorts. Tops I can wear anything.