Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
GROOV3
Rollin

Default Suspension

Ok i know if i change any suspension out go warrenty as they can blame almost anything on it so thats out of the question at the moment. But was thinking strut brace. if i can find one will it help with cornering at all ? or just waste of $
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

What do you mean they can blame anything on suspesion? I was under the impression if you change the springs then they can void warranty on the shocks etc. but thats about it! WIll they really void the whole car just for lowered springs??
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

doubt theyd void the entire cars warranty. just suspension as you said.
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
GROOV3
Rollin

Pretty much what happens is if a few months after lowering your car or fitting coil overs etc. you go into ford with a loose door card (thats due to your harsh suspension not covered)

or come in your left window is loose and rattling (suspension)

your engine mount cracks or breaks (harsh cornering take of suspension)

you head light blows up (to much harsh knocking due to stiff suspension)

i know this sounds all crap but the person i talked to said ford push hard on not modifying and if its anyhting mayjor theyl try andblame any prob on the mods)
Old 24-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Strut brace will stop the car flexing on cornering load. The Zetec has one on the front as standard, well it is pretty crappy.

It may make it feel slightly better but dont expect too much. Will help more in the 3 door cars than the 5 doors as the 5 door has a b pillar which helps regidity.

I doubt ford can claim anything as a harder ride is unlikley to rattle the car apart or cause components to fail. They can try, but they have to prove that the mod directly caused the component to fail.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOV3
Pretty much what happens is if a few months after lowering your car or fitting coil overs etc. you go into ford with a loose door card (thats due to your harsh suspension not covered)

or come in your left window is loose and rattling (suspension)

your engine mount cracks or breaks (harsh cornering take of suspension)

you head light blows up (to much harsh knocking due to stiff suspension)

i know this sounds all crap but the person i talked to said ford push hard on not modifying and if its anyhting mayjor theyl try andblame any prob on the mods)
That is true but it really depends on the discretion of the dealer. You will find dealers who deal in Herrod or other performance orientated stuff will be a bit lenient on mods, but those who have no idea what a DJR320 is or who look funny at you when you mention the name Rob Herrod, will get arky about it.

You are right but to a point they can only do so much - even if it was your suspension causing i.e. your window to rattle you can still ask for it to be fixed and theoretically they will, or should, try to fix it.

Danny, shocks technically dont have a warranty as such cos they're a consumable part - they don't last forever. That said, if your shocks were stuffed after 10,000 kms etc, obviously there would be something wrong with them and therefore they would be require to replace them under warranty. but you couldnt go back after 100,000kms or so and say 'theyre stuffed, gimme new ones'. Would all depend.

If anybody is thinking about lowering or changing their suspension setups I would suggest you speak to your local Service Advisor first, that way you will know what's going to happen once you do it, although I think it should be find and they just wont touch the suspension.
Old 24-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Zetec has a strut brace? where?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Good question. I cant see it.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 01:22 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Was almost certain the zetec was just Cosmetics and the ABS

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 03:29 AM   #10
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Ive been through this with my dealer on my Focus. They said that lowering is fine, but as back2thefutura mentioned, the shocks and springs arent covered by warranty anyway coz they are a wear n tear item (except in extreme cases), and new shocks and springs should have their own warranty anyway. But they did go on to mention that if something directly associated with the lowered spring/shock was to wear out prematurely (the example they used was bushings and stock shocks with lower springs), then no they wouldnt be covered by warranty. Only suspension bits and pieces that normally wear and wear quicker now as a result wouldnt be covered.

Im getting a set of H&R springs put on my Foci when i get my springs in a weeks time hopefully.

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 25-05-2005 at 03:32 AM.
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

all fiestas have a sort of strut brace. doesnt connect both suspension pillars. its on the left. black thing :P have a look
Old 25-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
0xyg3n

Cant say my local ford dealer has given me any grief with my eibach springs. As it was said above some dealers will be better then others. Might just need to look around abit to find which ones are ok.

I really cant do there here only 1 ford dealer unless i drive 1 hour to melb or geelong.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #13
GROOV3
Rollin

Just found out these prices not bad i think

k mac
Currently we manufacture Springs (any height required)
@ $330 set 4 incl. GST

Front uprated Anti-Sway bar $265

Rear Bolt on Bar $245

Front Camber adjuster kit $130 pr

Regards
Old 27-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

*drooling* give me one of each
Old 28-05-2005, 03:01 AM   #15
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

give me adjust sway bars ,front and rear srtutbrace ,front and rear chassi brace , adjustable shocks (koni yellows) and ill be happy

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Just to give you some further info - i had a good chat with my service manager yesterday about this as mods for my Focus are now only a few paychecks away. Basicaly he said it is at the discretion of the dealer whether they choose to void yuor entire warranty or not based on mods, however they would have to have good reason for doing it (i.e. a supercharger/turbo setup etc) and you can take it up with Ford if you feel they're not being fair about it.

But the basic rule is that anything you mod will not be covered (duh I hear you say). Therefore if you put new springs in there and smoething goes wrong, thats not covered, however everything else still is.
Old 15-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #17
GROOV3
Rollin

well tax return is going towards this upgrade wooot
Old 15-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #18
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I just bought a st of 25mm lowered King springs for $189...... Now just gotta find time to fit them. Sway bars would be nice too.
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post