Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 30-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
GTP 290

Default Best mods for economy??

Hey I was wondering what would be the best options to go for to get the best possible highway economy for my 06 BFII GT-P auto.

Currently I'm struggling to get 500km to a full tank on the highway.

I was thinking of going for a blue power airbox, removal of the rear mufflers for a bit of sound and flow and a re-tune. I was wondering was there any other little bits and pieces that i could put on to get the most out of my car on long trips.

I'm not wanting the greatest results in the world and yes i understand that it IS a V8 but I'm really wanting to do 1 trip in the car without having to stop at every single service station between Mt Isa and townsville.

I would show you a pic of why i am getting bad economy but then this thread would more than likely get locked. The car sits on about 2600rpm in 6th on my long trips.

GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
The car sits on about 2600rpm in 6th on my long trips.
HUH :
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

Somebodys definitely moving lol. Maybe easing up on that right foot / brick would be more beneficial lol

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
DBL15
love being blown

what a waste of a thread :togo: :togo:

we all know the 6 spd auto sits at 1950 rpm at highway speeds

so as if your ever going to get good fuel at those stupid speeds : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

"I would show you a pic of why i am getting bad economy but then this thread would more than likely get locked. The car sits on about 2600rpm in 6th on my long trips."

Theres your problem, I even get about 550km on the hwy, but at the speed limit

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

Have you tried putting it in DRIVE so it can change into top gear instead of holding in 5th or 4th???? If your at 2600rpm at HWY speeds and in "D" then I'd say somethings up with ya auto champ. Either that or ya running something like a 5.11 diff ratio. Mine may be Manual but even with 4.11's I'm only sittin on 2250rpm at 100kmh in 6th.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
My Business GutterGuardGuyAluminium Guttermesh Supply & Installation.
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
EXR8ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
GTP 290

yes i speed on long trips in the middle of nowhere.

yes it's in drive and there is nothing wrong with the gearbox. The car is currently dead standard.

Does anyone FROM BLUE POWER RACIN DEVELOPMENTS have anything to say regarding my original question to get the car breathing better or getting the fuel consumption down a bit?

And as a pre-emptive post for everyone on here that is going to tell me that easing up is going to help. I AM AWARE OF THIS. What i am wanting to know is what are the best mods to get better economy. I'm not wanting to get 700km+ out of a tank, i could do that anytime i want by driving at 80km/h.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Micksxboxmods
BF FPV GT-P Goodness.....

best mods for fuel consumption AND better performance
1) Custom flash tune
2)BPR CAI- I fitted one tonight, they sound awesome!!! Should see better economy too

btw....who cares about fuel economy in a boss 290?? maybe you should take the Prius instead mate... :P

Cheers
Mick
Micksxboxmods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
WOLF
Track Red XY

I'm sure the fella's would be able to help you, check this thread

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11224814
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A shorter diff ratio is a pretty good mod.

You'll hear a lot of talk about a shorter diff ratio having an adverse impact on economy. However I'm finding the opposite to be true as the shorter ratio means you make better use of the higher gears.

Obviously on the freeway at 110 kph (legal limit) in 6th gear sitting on 2,300 RPM the car is gonna be drinking more but for around town driving I think the shorter ratio actually improves economy.

Just a thought. However it appears you do a lot of freeway miles so may not be worth it
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
yes i speed on long trips in the middle of nowhere.

yes it's in drive and there is nothing wrong with the gearbox. The car is currently dead standard.

Does anyone FROM BLUE POWER RACIN DEVELOPMENTS have anything to say regarding my original question to get the car breathing better or getting the fuel consumption down a bit?

And as a pre-emptive post for everyone on here that is going to tell me that easing up is going to help. I AM AWARE OF THIS. What i am wanting to know is what are the best mods to get better economy. I'm not wanting to get 700km+ out of a tank, i could do that anytime i want by driving at 80km/h.
Sorry dude I thought you were runnin that high a revs at 110ish. Well in that case yes the obvious is to lift the right foot a little but you may want to get an ECONOMY tune flashed in. A BPR CAI will also help you cause and give you some KW gains as will a good ZORST. Even a custom (performance) tune will give you better fuel economy than stock as ford run these things rich for safety reasons. Give the boys a call 9305 3000 and your sure to get some answers.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
My Business GutterGuardGuyAluminium Guttermesh Supply & Installation.
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
EXR8ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
GTP 290

W.Wolf and EXR8ED, thanx guys exactly what i was looking for. much appreciated.