Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 AM   #541
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing the brand, but in our experience they seriously dropped the ball in this whole situation.

An example of the tricks they and the Hoppers Crossing dealership pulled (I’m not sure if we’re supposed to name names, but I’m sure most can guess), when the third clutch started to shudder, we had it tested and it came back as failed. They wanted to have it fixed, but we refused as we wanted a case opened with Ford to organise a buy back.

A case was opened with Ford and while waiting for an offer the car went in for service. We made sure it was maintained just in case she had to keep the car. I wasn’t there for this, Mum went in on her own. They told her the clutch needed to be fixed, and that even if they fixed it this wouldn’t affect her case with Ford as it was already in progress. So she allowed the car to be repaired.

Sure enough we didn’t hear from Ford for a while so I rang up and was told the car was fixed and they no longer had an obligation to offer anything more, despite the car now having its fourth clutch in four years. I went in to the dealership to ask what the hell was going on and was told now the car was fixed here was nothing more they could do. It was at that point my sister and brother left the brand for the Japanese brands and I made sure no one I knew went to Hoppers Crossing.

When the fourth clutch went, we went to the Geelong dealership and it all ended well.
Wow REx Gorell helped you that's amazing, they were ignorant and tottaly unhelpfull in my case,thats when my wife bought Japanese.Honda has a great customer service and there cars are fantastic.
Old 26-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #542
Pursya

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...onduct/9699474
Possible replacement car if an independent panel decides yes.
Register now if you are eligible.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #543
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...onduct/9699474
Possible replacement car if an independent panel decides yes.
Register now if you are eligible.
That is awesome news.
But looking at the poll results above and the 31.43% of people that never had a problem,most probably never knew they had a problem.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #544
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor1 View Post
That is awesome news.
But looking at the poll results above and the 31.43% of people that never had a problem,most probably never knew they had a problem.
Nope, just means not all of the gearboxes faulty. We've had two with no problems. It helps, I believe, if you don't do the "creep" in stop-start traffic. In other words, "it's the way you drive" may be true in some cases.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 26-04-2018 at 09:16 PM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #545
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Nope, just means not all of the gearboxes faulty. We've had two with no problems. It helps, I believe, if you don't do the "creep" in stop-start traffic. In other words, "it's the way you drive" may be true in some cases.
A court of law has found that “its the way you drive” to be untrue. $10 million dollars of untruth.
Old 26-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #546
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll say it again, not all are faulty.

Yes, some are, maybe even a majority, but not all.

Old 27-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #547
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well done mate,I know it's a hard slog to get where you are now,but it was worth it wasn't it.
Rex Gorell ,good luck they did nothing for me,worst dealer in the world and reason I would never support ford again
Old 27-04-2018, 03:04 AM   #548
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see they got what they deserved ,not just the fine or the hundreds of customers that will never buy a ford again they have now had there brand tarnished and hundreds more people will not consider a ford because of there actions in feeding customers with a legitimate warranty claim a bunch of bull****.
Old 27-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #549
Victor1

Quote:
I know you have stated in some cases I get that.
BUT we drive the car,the car doesn't drive us.
If slow stop and go in gridlocked traffic for ten kilometres is what is required of our daily drive it should be upto the task.
What other car can you mention that requires the driver to accomodate the car?
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #550
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki View Post
Good to see they got what they deserved ,not just the fine or the hundreds of customers that will never buy a ford again they have now had there brand tarnished and hundreds more people will not consider a ford because of there actions in feeding customers with a legitimate warranty claim a bunch of bull****.
I totally agree,
Due to the issues I traded my manual focus on a Mazda cx3 for my wife and took her car(what a mistake)lw mk2 focus.
The younger daughter didn't like the way my older daughters fiesta drove so she bought a Renault (still can't believe that).
Out of 4 of my family 3 still now have fords(the Mazda was ditched within 2 Years).
My wife and I have owned fords since we were 17years old and we/her have deviated from the loyalty of ford because of the dct issue.
It's taken a toll but we can't help but own anything else but a ford,it feels like home.
Old 27-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #551
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when they were locally made they had some loyal followers but now everything is imported so there is not the same sense of loyalty. Add a few bad quality control issues in the falcons and the dual clutch in the small cars and disappointment wins out. In the 70's I watched each bathhurst race and followed the falcons.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #552
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
when they were locally made they had some loyal followers but now everything is imported so there is not the same sense of loyalty. Add a few bad quality control issues in the falcons and the dual clutch in the small cars and disappointment wins out. In the 70's I watched each bathhurst race and followed the falcons.
I still watch every round of Supercars and fully support ford.cant help it and don't want to.
All wounds heal with time,it's just how big the wound is.
Old 27-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #553
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know you have stated in some cases I get that.
BUT we drive the car,the car doesn't drive us.
If slow stop and go in gridlocked traffic for ten kilometres is what is required of our daily drive it should be upto the task.
What other car can you mention that requires the driver to accomodate the car?
Don't get me wrong, the gearbox should be able to cope with that sort of situation. It seems to be from poor (insufficient?) engineering, though maybe better suited to Europe, where most people would drive manuals, and let the car in front move forwards a few lengths before moving themselves.

Old 27-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #554
Victor1

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the gearbox should be able to cope with that sort of situation. It seems to be from poor (insufficient?) engineering, though maybe better suited to Europe, where most people would drive manuals, and let the car in front move forwards a few lengths before moving themselves.
Regardless of country or style of driving,the gearbox is without doubt not suitable for the task.
Here in Australia if you left a few car lengths in front of you another car from an adjoining lane will fill that gap.
Again driving style or country the peice of **** gearbox is a fail.
Old 29-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #555
KosCo

According to the news releases –

FORD Australia has been slapped with a record $10 million fine by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for “unconscionable conduct” for failing to fix dodgy transmissions on 10,500 cars made between 2011 and 2015.

“In most cases, Ford refused to provide a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle to consumers, even after vehicles had undergone multiple repairs that had not resolved consumers’ complaints,” said Mr Sims. Under the deal agreed to by Ford and the ACCC — and approved today by the Federal Court — Ford Australia says it will establish an independent complaints review program “for customers who requested, but did not receive, a refund or no cost replacement vehicle between 1 May 2015 and 1 November 2016.”

Wow – so only those owners “who requested, but did not receive, a refund or no cost replacement vehicle” seem to be in line for some compensation.

How about all the other LW owners – every LW owner has suffered financially because the LW vehicle is now not worth as much as a trade-in or a private sale because of the problems associated with the transmission. All LW vehicles are tarnished. Most original owners would not have been in a position to trade-in or sell a virtually new vehicle. I imagine most (including myself) just wanted a fix for their vehicle and followed the obfuscation provided by Ford.

Nothing has been said about what is happening to owners who are still having problems. Seems as if Ford is getting off quite easily overall.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #556
dallen52
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
According to the news releases –

FORD Australia has been slapped with a record $10 million fine by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for “unconscionable conduct” for failing to fix dodgy transmissions on 10,500 cars made between 2011 and 2015.

“In most cases, Ford refused to provide a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle to consumers, even after vehicles had undergone multiple repairs that had not resolved consumers’ complaints,” said Mr Sims. Under the deal agreed to by Ford and the ACCC — and approved today by the Federal Court — Ford Australia says it will establish an independent complaints review program “for customers who requested, but did not receive, a refund or no cost replacement vehicle between 1 May 2015 and 1 November 2016.”

Wow – so only those owners “who requested, but did not receive, a refund or no cost replacement vehicle” seem to be in line for some compensation.

How about all the other LW owners – every LW owner has suffered financially because the LW vehicle is now not worth as much as a trade-in or a private sale because of the problems associated with the transmission. All LW vehicles are tarnished. Most original owners would not have been in a position to trade-in or sell a virtually new vehicle. I imagine most (including myself) just wanted a fix for their vehicle and followed the obfuscation provided by Ford.

Nothing has been said about what is happening to owners who are still having problems. Seems as if Ford is getting off quite easily overall.
I am in Thailand and just bought a 2012 late model FIESTA with 32,000 on the clock..Sports body kit, full leather, power pack, electric fold mirrors, etc.
Its a dream car.. EXCEPT FOR THE SERVICE ACTION issue.
14M01 AND 14m02... Extended out to 10 years now.

250,000 baht or around 11,000 aussie dollars.

I am currently battling with the dealers and customer service to fix the thing.
Fourth attempt in 20 days...Clutch and seals already done.
IMO... Its the TCM. needs replacing...

Its listed as a field service action at no cost to the owner.
warranty extended to 10 years on several models...

They want to take the clutch packs out again.
I WANT THE TCM replaced..

its the electronic module that actuates the clutches and gear changes.
Plus all the other silly things that happen.
NO START. Its trying to find park or neutral..
NO CLUTCH DISENGAGE WHEN BRAKING
TCM WHIRRING AND CLUNKING EVEN WHEN ENGINE NOT RUNNING
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON
HOLDING ONTO LOW GEARS UP TO 4000rpm..
EXCESSIVE FUEL USE.
LOSS OF ADAPTIVE LEARN MEMORY...

Back in the workshop for three days again tomorrow..

At least I get tea and cakes now while waiting...lol.
dallen52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #557
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

It’s the TCM %100
Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #558
dallen52
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryg View Post
It’s the TCM %100
Agree.
I'm an ex Ford warranty and policy audit engineer.
Plus trainer and assessment before I was packaged out.
Its like its a routine that they go through.
The module is made by continental.
They are just releasing the 6th iteration of the mods.

Its a recorded field service action.
I just dont know why tgey dont fit a new TCM.
Old 19-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #559
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen52 View Post
Agree.
I'm an ex Ford warranty and policy audit engineer.
Plus trainer and assessment before I was packaged out.
Its like its a routine that they go through.
The module is made by continental.
They are just releasing the 6th iteration of the mods.

Its a recorded field service action.
I just dont know why tgey dont fit a new TCM.
Agree and there is a TSB for this concern, but the 14M02 is a component extended warranty, not a field service action. Meaning unlike a campaign where you do the rework or replace the part, the part has to fault to be replaced, which in your case is justified, but you cannot replace in an instant where it is not at fault. As a ex warranty guy, you should know that.

What years were you doing that job?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #560
dallen52
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Agree and there is a TSB for this concern, but the 14M02 is a component extended warranty, not a field service action. Meaning unlike a campaign where you do the rework or replace the part, the part has to fault to be replaced, which in your case is justified, but you cannot replace in an instant where it is not at fault. As a ex warranty guy, you should know that.

What years were you doing that job?
2003 to 2006. Australia and NZ.

I keyed in the vin and it showed 14M01 and extension of the 14M02 for 10 years.
Certain models.
Old 21-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #561
dallen52
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=dallen52;6136201]2003 to 2006. Australia and NZ.

I keyed in the vin and it showed 14M01 and extension of the 14M02 .
Screenshot_20180411-223635.jpg
Old 22-05-2018, 12:44 AM   #562
dallen52
Starter Motor

Additional uploads re 14M01 and 14M02
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB-10092575-5448.pdf (99.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf SB-10091154-5448.pdf (208.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 23-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #563
dallen52
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=dallen52;6136212]
Quote:

Attachment 99325
Update
3 days in the workshops and they came back to me saying.
They think the clutch selection fork needs replacement.
About $1000 and not part of the warranty extension.
I said i think they are WRONG.
They have me by the proverbial short and curlies.

What if its not that?
Old 23-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #564
Pursya

[QUOTE=dallen52;6137254]
Quote:

Update

What if its not that?
You need to get an independent assessment.
Might cost you though.
Although if it does turn out to be the fork, an independent non Ford mechanic will be cheaper.
Old 23-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #565
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=dallen52;6137254]
Quote:

Update

What if its not that?
You would like to think with all the **** they put focus owners through they might just help u out.If u think they are being assholes try the ombudsman or consumer affairs as these cars have been ****heaps they might help u out.
Old 24-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #566
dallen52
Starter Motor

Wink Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

[QUOTE=kazawaki;6137343]
Quote:

You would like to think with all the **** they put focus owners through they might just help u out.If u think they are being assholes try the ombudsman or consumer affairs as these cars have been ****heaps they might help u out.

[QUOTE=dallen52]
Quote:

I will elevate it..
But i have to pay for the clutch selection fork.

I said what if its still a crock of **** afterwards?
Anyway i managed to get some life time employees benefits.
My card is good for list price plus a few vehicle discounts each year.
So its down to $700.

Still can'tunderstand how they can charge Labour.
When the get 5.2 srt hours for the clutch packs and seals under 14M01.

Obviously the question is.
What if this doesnt fix it?
Can i hit Ford for out of pocket expenses.

Attachment 99325
Old 24-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #567
dallen52
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=Pursya;6137267]
Quote:

You need to get an independent assessment.
Might cost you though.
Although if it does turn out to be the fork, an independent non Ford mechanic will be cheaper.
You can buy the oe part on EBay for $145 new in box.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #568
dallen52
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=dallen52;6137775]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post

You can buy the oe part on EBay for $145 new in box.
I bit the bullet and had the selector fork replaced.
The car is learning again.
250 km so far.

But bangs and rattles in low gears, plus shudders in reverse.
High speed when you get there is great.

Remembering that this is a two stage gearbox with two clutches and a tcm which makes it think it's automatic, I still fall back on my 30 plus years in automotive engineering and lean towards the TCM.

Just beats the hell out of me why Ford is still reluctant to fit a replacement?
Especially when it has a field service action listed under extended warranty. 14M02.

I now have a meeting with the dealer and Ford customer service to see what they think about next...

I have also asked for recompense for out of pocket and parts I have paid for that made no difference.

Oh I must add that something ?.. caused it to drain the battery and lose the tcm memory the other day.
Car was on level 4 in a multi storey Car park.
It was an interesting recovery and two truck job.
New battery fitted.
TCM re programmed again.
Plus towing.
My cost again...

I also said to Ford buy the car from me, because I can't sell it and certainly cannot rely on it.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #569
dallen52
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=dallen52;6146054]
Quote:

I bit the bullet and had the selector fork replaced.
The car is learning again.
250 km so far.

But bangs and rattles in low gears, plus shudders in reverse.
High speed when you get there is great.

Remembering that this is a two stage gearbox with two clutches and a tcm which makes it think it's automatic, I still fall back on my 30 plus years in automotive engineering and lean towards the TCM.

Just beats the hell out of me why Ford is still reluctant to fit a replacement?
Especially when it has a field service action listed under extended warranty. 14M02.

I now have a meeting with the dealer and Ford customer service to see what they think about next...

I have also asked for recompense for out of pocket and parts I have paid for that made no difference.

Oh I must add that something ?.. caused it to drain the battery and lose the tcm memory the other day.
Car was on level 4 in a multi storey Car park.
It was an interesting recovery and two truck job.
New battery fitted.
TCM re programmed again.
Plus towing.
My cost again...

I also said to Ford buy the car from me, because I can't sell it and certainly cannot rely on it.

Captains log... haha.
Well they agreed to replace the TCM.
Three of us drove around at low speed.
TCM. TCM.

Next Thursday morning its fitted.

Then i have to do battle to get the money reimbursed for the clutch selection fork that wasn't needed.
But replaced at my cost.

Stay tuned.