Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
juzzy80
Starter Motor

Default Ls focus surging idle

Hi all,
I brought a 2006 ls auto for my daughter and it has a bad surge at idle, when sitting in drive the car rocks back and forth. i have checked over the engine for vacuum leaks by spraying with brake cleaner and there appears to be no leaks. i took it to my mechanic he did the same and found nothing. it has no fault codes. I don't want to put it in to the mechanic and have to pay for hours of fault finding if i can help it. Is it possible to replace the ecu to fix the problem? I'm quite handy with cars but this has stumped me, any help would be great thanks
juzzy80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Ls focus surging idle

At idle in gear or neutral?

Last edited by GTLEGEND; 27-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
juzzy80
Starter Motor

In neutral it hunts for idle in gear it makes the car move back and forth as it hunts for idle
Old 27-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Right behind the intake manifold there is a very small hose very similar to the letter s that lets go. Once it fully splits it will rev its ring out. I know mine did this and it didnt show up on the fault code accurately.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

How long has it been doing it for? What happened prior to it doing it, like did you just fuel up or not long after? Have you checked the fuel quality, you could also have a bad batch of fuel with water or contaminants in it?
Old 27-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
juzzy80
Starter Motor

We brought the car with the problem, I have replaced the fuel pump, I took the manifold off and checked the pipe and that was fine. I was thinking of replacing the ecu but I’m not sure what i need to change? Is there more than one computer to change, if I go to a wreckers to get everything from one car what do I need?
Old 27-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You might be able to get the ecu checked and tested before you go to far even get it reconditioned probably save a few dramas of trying to get all the items from one car from a wreckers.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the ECU is a long shot, if you get a 2nd hand one it will need to be programmed to the car.
Old 28-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
rods falcon
Long time lurking

Also worth checking inlet manifold runner control switches. (vacuum switches)
Old 28-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Have you looked at the OBD data? How are the long and short term fuel trims at idle? Do they improve or worsen with RPM? Is the upstream 02 sensor cycling correctly? Or is it stuck rich or lean? What is the rear oxygen sensor reading?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post