Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #31
speedy
Starter Motor

Default Re: Police tactics to increase chances of catching speeding drivers

...... it is kinda too easy to go over the speed limit , when 50% of them are set too SLOW . Nowadays the danger is NOT going 10 kph over the speed limit but , as mentioned , texting , inattention, eating breakfast and doing make up etc etc. hey ! , lets not mention selfish , brain dead drivers that hog the right lane on freeways and cut in etc. Driver frustration is a cause of danger as much as being slightly over the speed revenue raising limit
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #32
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I find it distracting looking at the speedo kind've constantly to keep on the speed limit when the cruise is off.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #33
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Thats why I have this. Heads up display. One of the main reasons for buying this car.

Speed limit and my speed. Best tech ever.

Check out the cool HEMI.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #34
LTDHO
The one and only

On the Highway Patrol TV show they had police hiding behind a camo net targeting cars that were overtaking higher than the speed limit.

It is easier to be shifty and dishonest than actually do something about road safety.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #35
ChRiDDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
On the Highway Patrol TV show thqey had police hiding behind a camo net targeting cars that were overtaking higher than the speed limit.

It is easier to be shifty and dishonest than actually do something about road safety.
You’ll find that this type of tactic is used to catch/deter the motorcyclists from using the black spur as a race track

I remember seeing that episode - it would appear that the driver became impatient and overtook right under the eye of the police
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #36
notNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Thats why I have this. Heads up display. One of the main reasons for buying this car.

Check out the cool HEMI.

what car comes with that heads up display?
notNA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #37
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I dont know. I bought a VF SSVR wagon. No falcon at the time had HUD. Do they now???

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2018, 02:25 AM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's more annoying is the phenomenon of spending millions of dollars making a section of a road a million times safer while also dropping the speed limit by 20kmh.
Funny the HP and mobile speed cameras start hanging out on these roads everyday once that happens even if you didn't see a HP doing speed checks on that road for the past 10 years when it was a more dangerous road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #39
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

I saw this thread ages ago and refrained from any input , so since i'm logged in and posted elsewhere>

As if this is "new" , its been going on since day dot , all those plods waiting down at the bottom of a hill just 1 instance .

Even more so today in the "climate" of climate change (what a pun aye) , applying brakes so that one does not over-coast going down by by 5kph or whatever , wasting heat and slight momentum , wearing out the brakes , more fuel all because you might possibly maybe probably could Kill someone and also breaking the law by over-speeding by that 5kph or whatever it turns out to be .

That is just 1 instance where the plod has studied your habits and naturally occurring nature events and see your foibles to earn a dollar for the system .

TO PROTECT AND SERVE =

PROTECT THEIR PAY-PACKETS AND SERVE THE PAY-MASTER

Did you think it meant something else?

Paul .
Old 29-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #40
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
I saw this thread ages ago and refrained from any input , so since i'm logged in and posted elsewhere>

As if this is "new" , its been going on since day dot , all those plods waiting down at the bottom of a hill just 1 instance .

Even more so today in the "climate" of climate change (what a pun aye) , applying brakes so that one does not over-coast going down by by 5kph or whatever , wasting heat and slight momentum , wearing out the brakes , more fuel all because you might possibly maybe probably could Kill someone and also breaking the law by over-speeding by that 5kph or whatever it turns out to be .

That is just 1 instance where the plod has studied your habits and naturally occurring nature events and see your foibles to earn a dollar for the system .

TO PROTECT AND SERVE =

PROTECT THEIR PAY-PACKETS AND SERVE THE PAY-MASTER

Did you think it meant something else?

Paul .
I remember when Cops never did do you for speeding when driving behind you, for a split second, they would follow you for about a mile and then deal with such.

All that power mad governments do now is make the Police look like Nazi bastards or robots with all this BS of 1km/h over and hiding speed cameras and bottom of slight hills, so as to catch you out when sitting on cruse control.

I don't know one copper who believes in such anyway but they all hate this crap but for when they are on TV they just spin the Nazi type line they have to play out.

If all the money went to church charity for boat people or such you would see no one speed or the traps would not exist.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Don’t speed and you won’t get caught / fined !!
Except for all the stories we have heard of people getting tickets when they were not speeding.
Including a member from this forum. After reading his post I believe his story about getting a fine while not speeding.
Old 29-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #42
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

believe - if only the world was so simple
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people believe speed cameras are about road safety. If only the world was that simple
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #44
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez - some of you blokes make me laugh!

The 60 kph speed limit could be raised to 100 and you'd still be whinging that you copped a ticket for doing 105.

Also, I think the various police departments should build shade shelters at the bottom of all the hills on Australian roadsides - because that's where all the nation's coppers spend their eight hour shifts apparently...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #45
malazn mafia
Boss 335

https://youtu.be/1sw0-2Tm6JU?t=31m25s

Anyone seen this early 90s Cops documentary? The cops seemed like a rather jovial bunch, and actually out and about serving the community, doing real police work and fighting real crime. There's footage of them letting off a driver flying around late at night in his NA Fairlane, after the driver explained his passenger was running late to the airport. Then there's footage of them joking and laughing amongst themselves after losing a pursuit to a stolen Commodore, commending the getaway driver's skills, which resulted in one officer crashing their VN Commodore into a tree. Stuff like this wouldn't have made the stupid sanitised 'Highway Patrol' "road safety" propaganda series, as it would be politically incorrect to show the police losing a chase, having a chuckle at themselves or letting someone off for speeding. Gotta love the footage of early 90s Australian cars cruising the streets, none of third world junk cars that have taken over Australian roads..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I dont know. I bought a VF SSVR wagon. No falcon at the time had HUD. Do they now???
You can buy a heads up display with GPS for under $100 these days - not integrated, but a lot better, IMHO, than buying a holden to get an integrated HUD!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #47
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I was driving with the family yesterday as it was a beautiful sunny day up here in central Vic, so we decided to take the XR8 out for a cruise before it goes in hiding for the winter, lol.
Anyway on the way back, sitting on the HWY at 114 k (110 posted) I look in my rear view mirror and see a BF F6 approaching, he sat beside me and gave what I believe was the thumbs up and then proceeded to overtake (dual lane HWY) but only just once past me he stick's the boot into it, flying of at a rate of knots, and I must say gee those F6's have some go in that range, took off quite nicely and I would have had no chance if provoked, but anyway this thread reminded me of this scenario as I know the road quite well and the boy's in Blue love to be seen in the area.
Just reminded me to be weary and not provoked no matter what the circumstances are, was a nice F6 though.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #48
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Check out the cool HEMI.

Is it my eyes or has the HUD failed to recognize the 40kph roadworks zone
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #49
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Geez - some of you blokes make me laugh!

The 60 kph speed limit could be raised to 100 and you'd still be whinging that you copped a ticket for doing 105.

Also, I think the various police departments should build shade shelters at the bottom of all the hills on Australian roadsides - because that's where all the nation's coppers spend their eight hour shifts apparently...
But what you are claiming is just ignorance.

Why would a posted limit be increased is the point ? not just because it was ?
The point of the cameras is that the average person when floating along on cruse control, it just happens to be some moronic revenue machine sitting at just the right point down a slight grade that will see the cruse control end up exceeding it's set speed, now there are some cruse control that do add the brakes in such a case but most do not.

And what is being put forward here is not about a person wilful speeding intent but a government sanctioned cu--'t acts against the public.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
The point of the cameras is that the average person when floating along on cruse control, it just happens to be some moronic revenue machine sitting at just the right point down a slight grade that will see the cruse control end up exceeding it's set speed, now there are some cruse control that do add the brakes in such a case but most do not.
Is it not possible to set the cruise control those few k's lower to avoid running over on the slight decline Mick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
And what is being put forward here is not about a person wilful speeding intent but a government sanctioned cu--'t acts against the stupid percentage of the motoring public.
EFA

Looking back at the QLD $90m in fines thread and the number of fines for under 13km is 561k from a driving population of around 3.5m, thats a mere 16% if, and i say if, the fined driver was only caught once in the measured period.
This means that a minimum of 84% of QLD's motoring public can avoid low range speeding fines in their day to day lives.

Mr Plod may well be using dubious tactics, but he's only catching a small % of clowns who dont comply.

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #51
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
You can buy a heads up display with GPS for under $100 these days - not integrated, but a lot better, IMHO, than buying a holden to get an integrated HUD!
ha ha boo, i'd throw me empties at you but i'm still drinking them..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #52
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
Anyone who has lost a motorcyclist friend knows speed kills. getting away with it, now that takes skill. I would be happy if everyone just concentrated on driving but those days are gone
"Speed kills" ... interesting

I would say Speed is a multiplier on the consequences of an accident - this multiplication can cause death.

I put it to you all, that speed is a multiplier, not a cause.
I wish Police would police the causes of accidents.

The trouble is you would need to many cameras instead of speed cameras.

"Failing to indicate correctly" camera (really high revenue earner at roundabouts).
"Not drive in correct lane" camera (with a not keep left over 80kmph option).
"incorrect use of headlights" camera.
"on the phone" camera (I believe they have this one coming/here).
"Fail to give way" camera.
....... (I am sure you guys can think of others !)

The real trouble is: it takes Police on the road to police the real CAUSES of accidents.
I respect the last policeman who pulled me over, I do not respect the decision by the Police to police remotely.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The trouble is you would need to many cameras instead of speed cameras.

"Failing to indicate correctly" camera (really high revenue earner at roundabouts).
"Not drive in correct lane" camera (with a not keep left over 80kmph option).
"incorrect use of headlights" camera.
"on the phone" camera (I believe they have this one coming/here).
"Fail to give way" camera.
....... (I am sure you guys can think of others !)

The real trouble is: it takes Police on the road to police the real CAUSES of accidents.
I respect the last policeman who pulled me over, I do not respect the decision by the Police to police remotely.
I think it's bureaucrats that dictate how many and where Camera's are placed, the Police don't have that much to do with it.

In NSW the 'flash for cash' mobile cameras are privately owned.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #54
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Is it not possible to set the cruise control those few k's lower to avoid running over on the slight decline Mick?

EFA

Looking back at the QLD $90m in fines thread and the number of fines for under 13km is 561k from a driving population of around 3.5m, thats a mere 16% if, and i say if, the fined driver was only caught once in the measured period.
This means that a minimum of 84% of QLD's motoring public can avoid low range speeding fines in their day to day lives.

Mr Plod may well be using dubious tactics, but he's only catching a small % of clowns who dont comply.
No I believe in setting the speed to the correct speed on the highway, so if it's 110 I set it at that because everyone should sit on the limit I don't like holding others up but I get overtaken all the time I must be one of the slowest on the road and there are others who are slower but I keep left and keep out of others way and I just brake going down slopes and flick the cruse back on.

But what I am on about is not the under 13km/h but the 1 to 6 km/h over the limit tolerance and I bet you that is the majority.

In the UK all mainly drive over the limit by 10mph that's 16km/h mainly over all and if you drive under it you can be picked up as to being asked why.

It's the P plate and 4x4 and trucks that are passing me a lot of the time.

As for the 84% maybe they don't drive much do they but I would think that a good % do get caught because from what I see is a lot of idiots who do not pay attention on the highway sitting on 80km/h regardless even when coming into 60 zones they just float by at 80 and then when the double lanes for overtaking come up like many who sit on 80 will just speed up directly, if I had a dollar for every twerp that did that I came across I could pay off the national debt.
If the morons who sit well below the set limit as such, why don't they just back off and let others overtake them ,so they can get past such fools but no I think it's just a game they love to play.

If someone wants to go faster than me I let them pass and I don't give a toss but nowadays some morons will take it into their own hands and try to stop you, by hitting the brakes, it's a big game they love to play. I remember some moron on a back road that I was floating along at the set limit and this dude came out from a T section in front of me and then jumped on the brakes and I was like what the f are you doing you stupid c as he wanted to sit on 60 but when I got past the moron about 3km he speed up and sat on the limit then.

Not to mention fools with in car cameras that have someone who cuts in swiping them but the thing is they never tried to avoid the situation ? f me if I drove like them of cause you will be involved in such but I avoid such many a time, it's about using your brains, it's like yes it look like such could be on the cards, so you take due care, it's like I predicted that could happen.
I have a nipper learning to drive now and I am saying look out all around you predicting situations so you can respond because the Law does not cut it in reality don't put your faith in the law or you think you are in the right, that will not save you from getting involved in a crash.
I said did you look when the lights turned green that a car was not coming on your right or left, no she didn't, well that's all it takes I said just because you are in the right of the law such does not cut it in reality when your f ed up in hospital or dead.

I was taught Judo from before I was old enough to join and such teach one how to avoid and deal with situations.