Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Trans Do You Prefer?
6-Speed Manual 105 29.41%
6-Speed ZF Automatic 252 70.59%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Question The 6-Speed Showdown - Manual vs ZF Auto

:

OK, it's not really showdown, but, I wanted to know what your thoughts are. We've seen and posted in the Auto vs Manual threads but as it stands with today's top and new range gear boxes, which do you feel is better/faster in a stock car? The ZF 6-Speed Automatics or the 6-Speed Manuals?

One thing I noticed was people saying the ZF is faster down the 1/4 mile? By how much in stock form? Real figures, not "My mates did 12.6 the other day". Too many factors come into play when taking "average Joes" times for fact. Basically any reviews on both cars performed by the same crowd? Factory times stated anywhere?

I have always thought Autos were faster but not in stock form, under 11's possibly, in different cars and set ups things can go either way. They are consistent, absolutely. But I still say a good driver with a stick could beat the ZF in stock form (and possibly modified). Not every round but still set a faster time. With good powershifting and getting more power to the rear wheels without converter loss has to make up for the shift time of the auto, surely?

Thoughts, opinions and 0.02c please.

Last edited by [ NZTS50 ]; 21-02-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ NZTS50 ]
:

OK, it's not really showdown, but, I wanted to know what your thoughts are. We've seen and posted in the Auto vs Manual threads but as it stands with today's top and new range gear boxes, which do you feel is better? The ZF 6-Speed Automatics or the 6-Speed Manuals?

One thing I noticed was people saying the ZF is faster down the 1/4 mile? By how much in stock form? Real figures, not "My mates did 12.6 the other day". Too many factors come into play when taking "average Joes" times for fact. Basically any reviews on both cars performed by the same crowd? Factory times stated anywhere?

I have always thought Autos were faster but I'm not sure anymore. They are consistent, absolutely. But I still say a good driver with a stick could beat the ZF in stock form (and possibly modified). Not every round but still set a faster time. With good powershifting and getting more power to the rear wheels without converter loss has to make up for the shift time of the auto, surely?

Thoughts, opinions 0.02cs please.
Personally I dont see the reason for anything with more than 5 speeds , if the motor needs such help then I wont be driving it
V8 or turbo 6 , choose your weapon/
Old 21-02-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had the opportunity to drive either one but if you want my opinon the ZF auto is a far better gearbox than the manual. The ZF has been praised by everyone and is used on some of the most expensive cars around. On the other hand manual falcons have never really had much praise in comparison. Just my opinion .

The auto would be faster than the manual if in the hands of an average driver.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The zf is obviously the more advanced transmission. It was designed by germans and I have never seen a bad article on the zf. The manual is clunky and has to be nurtured at times. 9/10 times woild see the auto win down the quarter mile but I still believe with the right driver who knows how to shift and knows when the engine is at peak power then they will get out infront of the auto. Around the track I am pretty confindent that the manual will be the track star. I believe the auto is the better of the 2 but I still chose the manual because I prefer shifting gears myself. I would trade in 0.5 off my time because you enjoy the driving ten times more.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

I've driven the F6 with ZF auto... and wow. Seamless, fast shifts, always at the right time etc etc. I wouldn't touch the manual... though the only T56 equipped cars I've ever came into contact with have been Holdens...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 21-02-2007, 04:05 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

ZF auto by 2 country miles, the 6 speed manual don’t come close, if you are willing to drive the absolute backside of the car and have a very good clutch this may help....
There is only 1 manual F6 to have run a 11 sec pass and maybe 1 or 2 XR6T's this only took place in the last 6 months.

Try a ZF it can be driven like a manual, it has engine braking, holds the gears while corning around a tight mountains etc, its a cleaver box it learns your driving style.
This ZF auto is so good I don’t know why anyone would bother pushing in a clutch all day, unless you are driving a truck.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 21-02-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old 21-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
SavageF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto will most certainly be quicker for the average mortal; even a simple stomp 'n steer will net you a decent ET. Manual can be tricky to get a consistently good launch by comparison.

As for actually driving the manual though, I LOVE my factory twin plate clutch (unique on the FPV tho). I do however, absolutely loathe shifting gears when using factory gearbox oil. One simply MUST use Castrol Transmaz Z - its a whole different box when using decent oil.

If I had my time again, would I still go the manual? Not if I had to 'sit' in traffic all the way to work, stuff that. What I do like about the manual, is the 'driving aspect'. The "I'm going for a drive" part of my day. Changing gears under max boost, and slamming that accelerator back down to have the tail wag is a joy.

One should not buy a manual to be the quickest guy down the 1/4, because against the ZF, chances are you wont be. But you will enjoy prowling the streets.....
Old 21-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Personally I dont see the reason for anything with more than 5 speeds , if the motor needs such help then I wont be driving it
V8 or turbo 6 , choose your weapon/
Clearly you have never driven a XR6T with a 6 speed auto then.
Old 21-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ZF is mile faster then any manual box... Even a tricked up 4sp auto will be quicker then a manual in a straight line..... But the auto's fall over when corners come into the equation... Corners + Manual Box and the auto's are beat....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 21-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The manual is just out of date.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
ZF is mile faster then any manual box... Even a tricked up 4sp auto will be quicker then a manual in a straight line..... But the auto's fall over when corners come into the equation... Corners + Manual Box and the auto's are beat....

I'll second that..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
Old 21-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Agreed, serious track work the manual is needed but for everything else the auto takes the cake. I have the ZF but I would really like one of each :->
Old 21-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #13
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autos are dearer to repair though when the **** hits the fan, 9/10 you'll just need a clutch replaced with a 6speed, I have driven both and i still think the auto hesitates a bit a times for me can't beat a manual always have the gear u want but thats my opinion.
my 2cents

Neil

03 XR6T lighting strike auto prem sound 19's
383.9rwkw

96 EF series 2 XR8 sedan manual
Old 21-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
SlikedTurb

i agree, the ZF is a better box than the Manual. however, having said that, i wouldn't swap my 6-Speed Man for the Auto. if i did, i might as well amputate my left leg!!!

Car's are too "easy" to drive nowadays as it is, without it changing gears for you aswell.

Very Boring IMO.

Each to their own though, i guess.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I set out to buy a manual F6. I first tested a manual and found it clunky but reasoned that it would ease up after it had some kms under its belt. I also found the pedal positioning made it difficult to heel & toe. I then tested a ZF model and it changed my perception of automatic boxes forever. I bought the ZF model.

I have driven an F6 with ZF on track days and found it handles the situation well. There is no torque lock-up changing down when approaching a corner and as I'm a left foot braker it certainly uncomplicates the foot work.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't driven a 6 speed manual before, so can't comment on that, but I am definitely happy with the ZF auto in my GT. I'll probably end up keeping my GT for some years, so driveline longevity was a key consideration. Allegedly the ZF is a very strong unit, so that should bode well for its service life. Also, I get none of the diff and driveline shunt that everyone talks about, the auto just soaks it up, so additional points there too.

Yep, I concede that there's nothing quite like changing your own gears, so that's a point to the manual. However, the manual shift mode in the ZF is fantastic, and even in auto mode it holds the gears beautifully through corners, even if you accelerate then ease off. Great control.

I'm not an overly aggressive driver, so I really appreciate the auto when just commuting around. Truth be known, when I'm really punting it, I probably swap gears much better using the ZF manual mode than if I was actually changing gears in a manual. We all suffer from delusions of grandeur at times, and in reality, if I tried to heel/toe a manual into a hairpin at 10/10ths I'd probably end up putting the car through somebody's front fence. A racing driver I ain't.

So, the ZF auto for me, for its flexibility under different driving situations, if nothing else.

Brent.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you are trying to justify buying manual GT?
Old 21-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Driven both ZF and Ford's version of the T56 and for the sheer fun of it, I'd pick the manual any day (BTW, it shifts sooo much better than the one in the Commonwhore).
Old 21-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

My son drove the tow car [ BF XR6T ] at the drag nationals, best was 14.1 vs a manual BF typhoon whos best was 14.6. ZF by 3 country miles.
Old 21-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Cool

Thanks guys. Lots of talk about faster but has anyone got real times from the pros. I'm still sure a BA 5-Speed would beat down on a BA Auto, I'd place money on that. People keep saying faster but I keep hearing consistent? 9-10 the ZF may win, what I'm saying is because real cars have error aka clutch consistency is not something you get every run. I'm sure that if it came down to the absolute fastest 1/4 mile time, the Manual would win.

Seems as though manual drivers are a dieing breed. :(

Auto driving (notice two hand) -------------> :eclipsee_
Manual driving ----------------------------->

Even the smile version looks more fun. :Reverend:
Old 21-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't driven either but if it don't have a clutch pedal then I'm not interested. It takes all the purpose out of a drivers car IMO.

I drive my manual in bumper to bumper traffic everyday too so that is no problem for me.

Faster 1/4 mile?, well I didn't know every road has a timing tower on it :

One of the many reasons I didn't buy a XR6T. The majority are autos on the second hand market and sorry I might aswell sit in the passenger seat with an auto.
Old 21-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Haven't driven either but if it don't have a clutch pedal then I'm not interested. It takes all the purpose out of a drivers car IMO.

I drive my manual in bumper to bumper traffic everyday too so that is no problem for me.

Faster 1/4 mile?, well I didn't know every road has a timing tower on it :

One of the many reasons I didn't buy a XR6T. The majority are autos on the second hand market and sorry I might aswell sit in the passenger seat with an auto.
I like how your head works Mitch. : An automatic can not be labeled "A drivers car".
Old 21-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I'll third (?) it.

I'm a manual lover through and through, but driving the TT with the ZF I'm amazed how great it is. It always seems to be in the right gear.
It's impressed me that much that given the choice on a new car, I'd pick it over a manual and I never thought I'd say that.

(declaimer: that's on the assumption that I still have my manual TS50) ;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 21-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The manual mode in the ZF is a bit slow for my liking. I find it better to leave it in performance mode as it knows what I want all the time, holds gears waiting for me to get back into it in long turns etc. etc. If I get aggressive it will change down and give some engine braking.
Old 21-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

ZF auto. all i hear are great things about it!
Old 21-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I like how your head works Mitch. : An automatic can not be labeled "A drivers car".
Hmmmm, well, yes & no. Not sure if its quite that clear-cut. So, you wouldn't rate an Aston Martin which has semi auto 'paddle' gearbox as a driver's car, or a Ferrari that has the same? What about the BMW M3 with the SMG gearbox, or the V10 M5 version?

If we want to be harsh, then it could be argued that a 4 door sedan of the Falcon's dimensions could never be called a true driver's car, no matter what the transmission....... :
Old 21-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Hmmmm, well, yes & no. Not sure if its quite that clear-cut. So, you wouldn't rate an Aston Martin which has semi auto 'paddle' gearbox as a driver's car, or a Ferrari that has the same? What about the BMW M3 with the SMG gearbox, or the V10 M5 version?

If we want to be harsh, then it could be argued that a 4 door sedan of the Falcon's dimensions could never be called a true driver's car, no matter what the transmission....... :
Nope, I wouldn't lable the Aston Martin as a drivers car. Big ups and rants about it being a sloppy paddle flinging mess. They have manual versions too for those who want to be in full control. The Aston is a luxury cruiser with good get up but far from a drivers car.

The Ferrari, yes, that is a drivers car but more so in manual equipped cars. The rest of the cars you listed can all be opted with manuals, real drivers drive cars not steer them, but, those sequential cars like Ferrari's are at another level, even a few steps better than the beloved ZF.

Yupe, definitely, the Falcons aren't a "true" drivers car if we're getting anal but not many can be called true drivers cars. F1 Mclaren, Cobras, some Corvettes, Vipers to a degree. Falcons are family performance sedans. Utes on the other hand are just plain wild!

:
Old 21-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
SavageF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
My son drove the tow car [ BF XR6T ] at the drag nationals, best was 14.1 vs a manual BF typhoon whos best was 14.6. ZF by 3 country miles.
14.6 in a manual BF phoon? Should have been sitting in the stands rather than driving then. Even BA manual phoons have pulled low 13s stock. One fella even went a 12.9 in one back in the day.
Old 21-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #29
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce
14.6 in a manual BF phoon? Should have been sitting in the stands rather than driving then. Even BA manual phoons have pulled low 13s stock. One fella even went a 12.9 in one back in the day.
I saw somewhere that the Typhoon does 13.56? Factory standard but I could see what trans.
So, that is merely a rumor as I don't have the link or source.

If anyone knows Ronnie Sox aka "Mr 4-Speed" guys like that can do unbelievable things with cars. Give him the keys (though he's RIP) and he would nail the ZF. Powershifting is not just powershifting, he made an art out of matching the car, engine, speed and rpms.....lovely to watch.

I love manuals. : :sm_drool:
Old 21-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #30
freaky

Quote:
The rest of the cars you listed can all be opted with manuals, real drivers drive cars not steer them, but, those sequential cars like Ferrari's are at another level, even a few steps better than the beloved ZF.
F1 cars must not be real driviers cars as they press a button with their thumb to change gears..

Gee and only afew years ago the upshifts were fully automatic before they were banned and went back to manual sequential mode..
Closed Thread