Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #61
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Default Re: Why People Buy Camry's..

Buying a Camry is like driving the Hume to Sydney, boring, predictable, efficient.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #62
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
At this time in life I’d say I’d never want to own one but I’m not so closed minded I can’t understand why people do.

My wife and I occasionally go to the club for lunch with friends and my mate and I alternated the driving duties so one or the other of us can have a few beers.

We easily pile into his Camry with the scratches all over the rear and front bars and we’re on our way and he parks anywhere he can fit it in.

The back of my C63 is a squeeze and isn’t really made for 4 adults but you can get by on short trips, I drop them off at the door and then drive off to find a park out back of the black stump where I hope no-one will park near it and mark it.

His car is far more practical than mine.

But I know which one I want to own.
camry is baller for parking anywhere with nfg

it beats walking and dents and stuff in your cool car

#camrylyfe
Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #63
johnson

the only thing I can say is good car, someone in that budget range buy it.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #64
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Can't believe this thread is still going

You buy one or you don't
Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #65
johnson

yeah I,m going out in my 335GT see yah.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #66
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for a non car person,.. Camry is a non brainer,. robust, roomy, reliable.
everytime I'm interstate and need a renter I get a camry,..its the type of car you don't have to think about ,..it just does the job
Old 12-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #67
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Say what you like about Camry's, but in every department apart from outright pace, they leave the Falcon for dead. If we'd bought the V6 it would cover all NA bases.

Sorry for my unbiased, educated and proven opinion.
so the V6 was an option was it? From a quick search, the last V6 camry's are 10 years old. And these were 145kw/284nm with a 1500kg kerb weight & crap fuel consumption.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #68
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I'd rather saw my arm off than own a Camry.

But they're ok if you're into that sort of thing.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #69
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
so the V6 was an option was it? From a quick search, the last V6 camry's are 10 years old. And these were 145kw/284nm with a 1500kg kerb weight & crap fuel consumption.
Aurion is a V6 Camry.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post

Hypocrisy is alive and well in this place.
It is, you seam to be the main offender.
If anyone has an opinion different to yours you can't handle it and have to bring up some random, exaggerated counter argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Precisely.

Do we need to also question why people buy anything they do?
is the question being asked because you don't agree with their decision, the same could be said about anyone's decision to buy anything they have. A number of factors come into it and usually tailored to that individual/family. I wouldn't buy a Camry but I wouldn't degrade anyone who does.

I do agree though that across the fleet, Ford need to better invite people to look at their cars and buy them. Incentives are not there for average buyer.
This is a great response by Wretched, but some how you take it as something personal(even though he didn't quote you or mention you at all) and response with something that seams to have nothing to do with Wretched, or any post in this entire thread.

Quote:
Yeah.... How dare anybody have an opinion . Oh the audacity!

Here's an idea.

Let's all become brain dead sheep and go out and buy fridge white Camrys. That way everyone can drive the same cars and have the same opinions and we can all be happy and pat each other on the back and live happily ever after.

I cannot see how your response to Wretched had anything to do with what he said. It seams like you got offended that someone thought different to you.

Quote:
There are some funny people on this forum...

You whinge and complain about my posts and attack me for continually coming back to post in the thread, then you post stuff like this to argue about points I have made and expect me to justify my opinions. You can't have it both ways.
Nobody is 'attacking' you because they disagree with your opinions. But if you voice your opinion strongly and people call you out on it for whatever reason, don't be offended and think the world is against you. This is a discussion board, what do you expect? Do you just want to make a post and then have everyone else in the thread reply with
"I agree tempted"
"Oh yeah me too"
"Good post, very true"

Let's all become brain dead sheep and go out and all reply the same thing to the thread
That way everyone can agree with each other and have the same opinions and we can all be happy and pat each other on the back and live happily ever after.

Sorry I got a bit carried away, but I see why people buy Camry's I could never do it myself, but most people don't want something that is fast, or can take roundabouts at 80km/h or has fantastic driving dynamics. So why spend more money on a 'better' car when you personally get nothing else out of it that you wouldn't get out of a Camry.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #71
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The gf wanted something fuel efficient so we looked at a hybrid Camry. Nice interior, comfortable, but god awful to drive, but I think that's every CVT.

Had a Corolla before my G6e, and while it was the pov pack, it drove beautifully, never any trouble, was efficient, the interior panels weren't falling off like in my luxury Falcon, and it had a far better stereo than Ford's premium sound package, because everything was changeable.

While a lot of people here are loathe to drive a Toyota because it has a rep of being boring, I can honestly say I was loathe to get a Falcon because it has a rep of being a bogan car.

And having just driven to Toowoomba and back today in work's ASX, I can say there's far far far worse cars than either a Falcon or a Corolla or Camry.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #72
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because they have an nice sized boot to put your lawn bowls in.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #73
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Buying a Camry is like driving the Hume to Sydney, boring, predictable, efficient.
Did 210 kph in my Camry, and going round a corner at that speed was anything but boring, predictable or efficient. Actually terrifying feeling like I was sitting on and trying to steer a old clapped out spring mattress on wheels,

The Camry was a V6 manual, 99, no luxury gear as I wanted it as light as possible. Rear suspension went and needed replacement, new clutch, few timing belts, roof lining fell in, interior upholstery pulling from doors, rust started on front window roofline (parked it on beach for some 5 years when going to office-so cannot complain).

Did about 330,000 km in it, and the engine and gearbox were bomber, but all the other stuff was budget built.

My wife could not stand to see me still driving in it -she is a bit snobbish with image/cars, but I could just not bear to part with it faded and rusted as it was as I changed oil every 7,000 km and I knew the engine and box were still good, -anyway my daughter was acting on my wife's instructions and totaled it.

Was faster than a lot of cars, but always got flogged by fast v8s.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #74
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rode in a few Taxis recently including some Camrys. The Camry has the most uncomfortable car seat I have been in. A friend had a couple of rentals last month an i30 and Toyota Camry prefered the i30. The Camry was the later rental booked the i30 but was given the Camry as a free upgrade as far as she was concerned it was a downgrade. Her 14 yr son said the same i30 was a better car than the Camry.
Old 13-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
But I know which one I want to own.

Perhaps one night ask him if he'll sell it then, if he's a real good mate he'd be happy to see you in a better car...

Old 13-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #76
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
No, it wasnt, the Aurion is, which is the same bloody car with a 200killawasp V6, 6sp auto and different front and rear treatments.

I thought the school holidays had finished.
Old 13-02-2016, 04:01 AM   #77
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Perhaps one night ask him if he'll sell it then, if he's a real good mate he'd be happy to see you in a better car...

With a bit of luck he might do a swap.

Fingers crossed anyway.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #78
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interior/Exterior build quality wise, the Camry runs laps around any falcodore on the market. Something is breaking on my Fairlane every week, yes it's done a lot of k's, but when my (slightly drunk) mate closes the door and manages to rip the entire interior handle off (this happened last night) on a 10 year old car, you know the build quality is ****.

Now engine wise, got nearly 420,000 on the clock and she's going strong. Had a comprehensive AA check when buying it and came up completely clean. Yes it has a slight misfire (needs new coil packs), diff has a slight whine (ever so slight), steering wheel shakes a bit on the highway, gearbox clunks slightly when travelling at low speeds. But this car will drive to hell and back, no doubt about it. A week ago in about 38 degree heat, I was on a roadtrip and realized the needle tended to be sitting at the middle the entire time, when it's usually sitting at a quarter. Pop the hood and realise the expansion tank hose is ripped. This cars been running happily without proper pressure in the cooling system. I remember the same thing happening in my old ES, except the ES full out overheated.

Toyota's have build quality, but find me a Toyota with 400,000 k's on the clock, and tell me it's still running. Jap engines start falling to pieces after 200,000 k's, something I learnt with the ES. Perfect from 100,000 to 180,000 k's, everything broke in the following 20,000. Parents have owned quite a few Camry's (Actually own one of the aussie 2.2s right now), all 3 have done the same thing. Now the aussie 2.2, that actually tends to be the most promising Camry yet, that thing is as tight as a drum and she's done 230,000.

The way I see it, Ford engineers spent all their time and money on the engine and drivetrain. Then realised they had the rest of a car to build, and did it all in a week before the boss came around to check.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Old 13-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #79
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
The gf wanted something fuel efficient so we looked at a hybrid Camry. Nice interior, comfortable, but god awful to drive, but I think that's every CVT.

Had a Corolla before my G6e, and while it was the pov pack, it drove beautifully, never any trouble, was efficient, the interior panels weren't falling off like in my luxury Falcon, and it had a far better stereo than Ford's premium sound package, because everything was changeable.

While a lot of people here are loathe to drive a Toyota because it has a rep of being boring, I can honestly say I was loathe to get a Falcon because it has a rep of being a bogan car.

And having just driven to Toowoomba and back today in work's ASX, I can say there's far far far worse cars than either a Falcon or a Corolla or Camry.
Most importantly though, did you wear your cap backwards like a lot of the homie boy Commodore drivers...

BTW, nothing wrong with us bogans...
Old 13-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #80
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Precisely.

Do we need to also question why people buy anything they do?
is the question being asked because you don't agree with their decision, the same could be said about anyone's decision to buy anything they have. A number of factors come into it and usually tailored to that individual/family. I wouldn't buy a Camry but I wouldn't degrade anyone who does.

I do agree though that across the fleet, Ford need to better invite people to look at their cars and buy them. Incentives are not there for average buyer.
Human curiosity I suppose. We need to know stuff. If this was a spaghetti lovers forum there would probably be questions asked about why anyone would use ingredient X in their spag bog. Maybe even naked aggression over a kale vs. coriander comparison...
Old 13-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Interior/Exterior build quality wise, the Camry runs laps around any falcodore on the market. Something is breaking on my Fairlane every week, yes it's done a lot of k's, but when my (slightly drunk) mate closes the door and manages to rip the entire interior handle off (this happened last night) on a 10 year old car, you know the build quality is ****.

Now engine wise, got nearly 420,000 on the clock and she's going strong. Had a comprehensive AA check when buying it and came up completely clean. Yes it has a slight misfire (needs new coil packs), diff has a slight whine (ever so slight), steering wheel shakes a bit on the highway, gearbox clunks slightly when travelling at low speeds. But this car will drive to hell and back, no doubt about it. A week ago in about 38 degree heat, I was on a roadtrip and realized the needle tended to be sitting at the middle the entire time, when it's usually sitting at a quarter. Pop the hood and realise the expansion tank hose is ripped. This cars been running happily without proper pressure in the cooling system. I remember the same thing happening in my old ES, except the ES full out overheated.

Toyota's have build quality, but find me a Toyota with 400,000 k's on the clock, and tell me it's still running. Jap engines start falling to pieces after 200,000 k's, something I learnt with the ES. Perfect from 100,000 to 180,000 k's, everything broke in the following 20,000. Parents have owned quite a few Camry's (Actually own one of the aussie 2.2s right now), all 3 have done the same thing. Now the aussie 2.2, that actually tends to be the most promising Camry yet, that thing is as tight as a drum and she's done 230,000.

The way I see it, Ford engineers spent all their time and money on the engine and drivetrain. Then realised they had the rest of a car to build, and did it all in a week before the boss came around to check.
If your Toyota engine got sick of living at 200,000 you must have got a dud or didn't service it.Most Japanese engine including Toyota will last for400,000 + with only minimal servicing wheras most 6 cylinder Falcons have blown headgaskets by 200,000 The reason people buy Camrys is because they just want to hop in and get going not have to wonder will I have to call Roadside service to get me going so I can get to work today
Old 13-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #82
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it that much of a suprise? They are roomy, comfortable, ride well, handle well, big boot, Aussie Made (so supporting local jobs and the economy), cheap to run (and extremely cheap to buy) and last forever.

As someone who drives woeful Thai tinfoil Utes for a living isnt it more interesting to know why people buy something like a Triton as family car.

But honestly who cares what people buy.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #83
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I think Falcons have just as good or better build quality. It's not a good thing to say but the BA era - which included early Terriitory, were a outlier in Falcon quality. Falcons before and after were and are really quite good in my opinion.

SZ Territory and FG are fantastic.

Last edited by Brazen; 13-02-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #84
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought the school holidays had finished.
haha really? im probably older than you mate

some people need a life outside the forum, you know, the ones who bite & debate at the drop of a hat....
Old 13-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #85
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Lots of people knocking the Camry for being boring. The last time I saw a new Camry, it had more styling flair than a Falcon, inside and out. And more tech. Knocking people for buying Camry's is not going to reverse the sales figures. Falcon's problems are numerous and lack of sales probably has lots to do with its older than yesterdays styling and lack of features. Some might say boring - how ironic!
Old 13-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #86
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The recent Camry's are easy to work on because they've got a 4 cylinder engine in an engine bay designed for a transverse V6.

When you get the odd one roll through the workshop its always good, easy $$$!

They're nice to run wires through as well, there are wire tracks with clips and lots of room under the trims covering the sills.
Old 13-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #87
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
Lots of people knocking the Camry for being boring. The last time I saw a new Camry, it had more styling flair than a Falcon, inside and out. And more tech. Knocking people for buying Camry's is not going to reverse the sales figures. Falcon's problems are numerous and lack of sales probably has lots to do with its older than yesterdays styling and lack of features. Some might say boring - how ironic!
The falcon is not comparable with the Camry anymore! Many moons ago now....Aus Govco pulled local support, hence halting any further serious falcon advancement. Been like this for years now! Ford pulling out of Aus locally with as little debt as could reasonably be expected has no doubt been the plan! No spending sprees at ford......everyone has their own opinion on whether that's good or not!
Old 13-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #88
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
ill leave these here and we can try and see if the camry looks better

Old 13-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #89
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Umm, Camry looks more modern.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #90
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Camry has the big bug catcher (fly swat?) at the front.
Closed Thread