Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Default Illegal to raise/lower more than 5cm?

I heard on the radio this morning, that NSW is planning to make it illegal to raise or lower a car by more than 5cm, although I can't find a link anywhere. Does anyone have any details?

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
hame
Banned

The 4x4 crowd will really love that.
hame is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
ch33z1l
Dawn

Would love to know what meaningful reason they have for introducing this. There are already guidelines administered by NSW police on legal ride height.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

As they are now already selling police stations and are soon to be selling school playgrounds, it really is amazing that they haven't yet figured out why their revenues are down even though they announce stupid crap like this.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Would love to know what meaningful reason they have for introducing this. There are already guidelines administered by NSW police on legal ride height.
That's satire right? I know this because you really couldn't say that in all seriousness.

The only law the police effectively administer is speeding. And when I say effectively I mean purely from a revenue viewpoint - they don't actually stop anyone from doing it.

Raising or lowering a vehicle more than 5cm can cause serious changes in the handling of the vehicle unless it is done properly. 90% of the time it isn't and the safety of the vehicle and occupants is put at great risk.

IMO there should be a 5cm guideline and with the additional proviso that if an owner wants to modify outside the guideline then an engineer's report and full vehicle safety inspection (blue slip in NSW) be carried out before it is allowed back on the road.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Apparently it's a crackdown on "hoons". Although how ride height affects the car's ability to speed, I don't know (aside from being able to corner better if set up properly). I can't see how raising your car makes you a hoon.

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Old 16-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

I just bought a ute and had the rear lowered 70mm and the front 50mm, aftermarket suspension, etc. Insurer didn't want to cover it, but realising I'm too old to be a hoon they relented. Perhaps the insurers are driving the change?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
That's satire right? I know this because you really couldn't say that in all seriousness.

The only law the police effectively administer is speeding. And when I say effectively I mean purely from a revenue viewpoint - they don't actually stop anyone from doing it.

Raising or lowering a vehicle more than 5cm can cause serious changes in the handling of the vehicle unless it is done properly. 90% of the time it isn't and the safety of the vehicle and occupants is put at great risk.

IMO there should be a 5cm guideline and with the additional proviso that if an owner wants to modify outside the guideline then an engineer's report and full vehicle safety inspection (blue slip in NSW) be carried out before it is allowed back on the road.
I agree, if they want to go down that path make it an engineers requirement (like fitting larger/wider wheels on some cars).

It's just that it's reported as being done under the context of "cracking down on hoons", rather than improving vehicle safety.

175.6 rwkw

Old 16-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Found it in today's telegraph

Quote:
Cost of Cool Cars

Car hoons risk losing registration if they raise or lower vehicles by more than 5cm without approval. The changes from August 1 mean all modifications will now require engineering approval.
"Hoons may think their car looks cool but as far as I'm concerned anything more than a 5cm change in a car's suspension is dangerous and doesn't belong on our roads," Roads Minister Michael Daley said.
EDIT: How much does a set of SL King springs on a BA falcon lower it? I heard 2", so 50mm, so I'd be fine I hope.

175.6 rwkw

Old 16-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

How in the hell does raising or lowering a vehicle instantly make the driver a hoon???

What does the ride height of a vehicle have to do with the owner/driver's behaviour???
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
rods falcon
Long time lurking

Does this read as any change in ride height will require engineering, and no change greater than +/- 5cm (2 inches) will be allowed?
Old 16-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Looks like we're all screwed

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-26103,00.html

Quote:
NEW laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, New South Wales Roads Minister Michael Daley says.

From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers.

Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval.

Mr Daley says while drivers may think a lowered car looks "cool" it really is dangerous and any adjustment of more than five centimetres doesn't belong on the road.

"I don't want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground," Mr Daley said.

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk.

"It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

175.6 rwkw

Old 16-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

What a load of bollocks, I just knocked 35mm of my BA on monday, and well it still looks like a 4wd. I could go 70mm before it made 2/3rds of sod all difference. In fact I think the lowering made the car safer, the handling no longer scares the bejezus out of me.

What happened to the old coke can at the lowest point rule, sounds like the goody goodys have already gotten to Daley.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm curious as to how they'd police this.

IE: if you go to Bunnings for a couple of bags of cement they'll have to deliver them.

Or... the family will have to fly to the holiday destination whilst dad drives there with the luggage.

Both cases will lower the car
Old 16-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and the cycle of government idiocy continues. don't we have federal adr laws that override anything the state does?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can one prove that the changes were made before August 1....
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Quote:
Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

Pretty obvious what standard answers from those that are pulled over will be.........
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Was reading the article and all car owners wishing to lower their vehicles have to submit for approval by the RTA, no matter what the adjustment is
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was reading the article and all car owners wishing to lower their vehicles have to submit for approval by the RTA, no matter what the adjustment is

lol i can see it now.

-govt will slap a fee on it.
-rta will be flooded with requests for approval, which will mean many months wait
-car gets pulled over and person waves approval req in officers face stating he is booked in for inspection 7 months from now.
-car gets denied 7 months down the track
-puts old springs back in submits another approval
-puts lowered springs back in awaiting approval
-start again

lol
Old 16-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

I've just been on the phone to the RTA. Apparently this is the go

- There has been no official word (suprise suprise)
- The bloke I spoke to said that the paper has got it wrong
- At the moment they are looking at limiting how much a car can be raised, not lowered.
- Currently the existing 100mm ground clearance / 1/3 suspension travel is still in place
- Any changes would most likely affect any new installations i.e. anyone with changes done befoe August 1st would be ok

This is just what the bloke has told me.

175.6 rwkw

Old 16-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Permission now needed for lowering cars

Was shocked to read this just now: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

Where will it all end. I mean, I do agree there are some people doing stupid things with lowering and airbag suspension (mini trucks, vans, etc).

But 5cm - come on.....

How will this be policed? I think it's going to be a bit like window tint and TV licenses. Well I hope...
vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfast
Was shocked to read this just now: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

Where will it all end. I mean, I do agree there are some people doing stupid things with lowering and airbag suspension (mini trucks, vans, etc).

But 5cm - come on.....

How will this be policed? I think it's going to be a bit like window tint and TV licenses. Well I hope...
What garbage.
Old 16-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could find nothing on RTA website about this. Not that it's a very easy website in the first place.

Also Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements. Where is this "safety standard" info? Who can issue a certificate?

Would be great to hear from someone in the industry (pedders, etc) about what they know....
vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

Like I mentioned in another thread on this topic, who's going to prove the work was done after August 1?
Anyone handy with tools (probably most hoons) will do the work in their backyard, removing any trail of receipts for work performed.
Old 16-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #25
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

becoming a nanny country!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #26
Windsor220
Now Fordless

What would be the go between different models like XT and GT/F6. There's already some difference in height there so where does the baseline start from?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #27
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
What would be the go between different models like XT and GT/F6. There's already some difference in height there so where does the baseline start from?
would assume baseline is factory settings?

what about "dealer specials"?

what if you used lower factory springs in another car? ie f6 springs in a povvo pack falcon?
Old 16-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #28
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Yeh right, never even heard of a headline until today where someone rolled there car, got killed or whatever from lowering a car and how is this suppose to save lives again???

Another case; About 6-9months ago, they were cracking on cars with foglights/spotlights being turned on in Victoria. My mate was a victim after having been pulled over by the police (actually 2 cop cars, 9 police officers) and was issued with a $130 (something like that) fine. I turned around and laughed and said to the police officers " why the hell do you have your foggies on than mate?". He looks in suprise to me acts dumb like he doesnt know anything and says to me " there my headlights". In response to that I said " Geee, you have no clue of what the difference between a headlight and foglight is do ya, and you have just fined my mate for using headlights than????". Believe it or not, they just hopped in their cars and drove off. What a load of crap....
Old 16-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #29
WINTER BFT
its winter all year

permission+certificate=$$$...and once again more money keeps pouring into the government...
these laws a getting beyond a joke now...
Old 16-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
The Monty
Just slidin'

Cool, in an AU, just sayit came with Tickford suspension, which are lows, take off another 49mm and you can legally ride around on Ultra low cut springs.