Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What engine would you rather in an XY?
351, worked, 500hp 98 62.82%
turbo 4L OHC, 500hp 41 26.28%
other: please specify 17 10.90%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomXY
my mind isnt made up yet, i just wanted to see how many people i would annoy if i did decide to go turbo. I wanted to get ideas of which would be cheaper, more reliable, better economy, more powerful ect.

Obviously arguing with ignorant 40 year olds is going to give me more inspiration.
No argument from me! im happy cruising around in my boring old 351 powered XYGT and seeing all the "boom tish" brigade race off and try to drag me..
I get more satisfaction just sitting back and cruising around relaxing and enjoying my car than those insecure guys worried about how fast their car goes just to maintain "street cred"...
Which XY will get the more looks? the one with the tough V8 rumble or the one going "boom tish"...

P.S hey, im not 40 yet!!!

Old 19-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #32
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No argument from me! im happy cruising around in my boring old 351 powered XYGT and seeing all the "boom tish" brigade race off and try to drag me..
I get more satisfaction just sitting back and cruising around relaxing and enjoying my car than those insecure guys worried about how fast their car goes just to maintain "street cred"...
Which XY will get the more looks? the one with the tough V8 rumble or the one going "boom tish"...

P.S hey, im not 40 yet!!!

Lol the one going "boom tish" will get 10 times more looks than the XY with a clevo.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
Old 19-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Lol the one going "boom tish" will get 10 times more looks than the XY with a clevo.
that's a good point, lots of puzzled looks!

Old 19-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #34
TomXY
XY

Quote:
I would bet money on the Metallic bright Blue XY sitting on 19" chrome 5 spokes, with the vrrrrrr tut tut tut, rather the original GT people see at every show with a 351 like every other xy.

Like i said, its something unique people arnt used to seeing, of course it will get more looks.
Old 19-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would bet money on the Metallic bright Blue XY sitting on 19" chrome 5 spokes, with the vrrrrrr tut tut tut, rather the original GT people see at every show with a 351 like every other xy.

Like i said, its something unique people arnt used to seeing, of course it will get more looks.
Well one things for sure, you'll get lots of looks and comments... not sure you'll like all of them though..
Either way good luck with the project, build what ever floats your boat, after all its only you who has to like it and enjoy it!

Old 19-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #36
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Well one things for sure, you'll get lots of looks and comments... not sure you'll like all of them though..
Either way good luck with the project, build what ever floats your boat, after all its only you who has to like it and enjoy it!
just out of curiousity what do you think you would yell at it?
Old 19-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just out of curiousity what do you think you would yell at it?
Nothing.. im not rude enough (nore interested enough) to yell things at other peoples cars... (remember im nearly 40!) I might have a bit of a giggle though! :Reverend:

Old 19-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

TOMXY, did your parents forget you at kindy and your on the staff PC? Do us a favour and do the 6T and impress your friends.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #39
TomXY
XY

Quote:
I might have a bit of a giggle though! :Reverend:
come on, its not like i would be driving a lancer or something similar. Its still going to be a tough looking xy, with 500hp.
Old 19-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #40
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
TOMXY, did your parents forget you at kindy and your on the staff PC? Do us a favour and do the 6T and impress your friends.
ha..ha...............
nice comeback.
Old 19-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
ha..ha...............
nice comeback.
To what? You know you want to do the 6T, so do it and get 500HP like you say you can. If it is an original 6 and you want it to stay that way you have little choice.

Ive got a 302, its not that quick but thats waaay down on my care list.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #42
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

personally, i'd do a hot v8 (preferably supercharged), that is because, i find with turbo cars, the torque builds up to a point, holds, then drops off and generally they aren't as nice to drive (throttle response, crusabililty etc) where as a hot v8, the torque builds up in a more natural way (both NA and supercharged) because its a mechanical build up not nuematic (i dont think that's spelt right).

while a turbo 6 would be really nice to see under the bonnet, i just dont think it would be as nice to drive, but if you do go the turbo route, go a BA/BF motor. SO much nicer then all the older motors its not funny.

just my opinion mate so do what you want the most
Old 19-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
come on, its not like i would be driving a lancer or something similar. Its still going to be a tough looking xy, with 500hp.
Its a generational thing.. it could have 1000hp and it wouldnt matter, "19's and boom tish" should never be mixed with "XY".. IMHO.
I will never be able to get my head around massive wheels on old pre 80's falcons let alone a 6T under the bonnet.......
Just personal opinion of course.

Old 19-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #44
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I agree with 4v man here.

It's wrong to be different.

Old 19-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #45
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

The younger generation and their need to not only have the last say, but also their yearning for affamation. Do what ever makes you happy mate, there's no need to worry what others will think of a XY that sounds a little 'different'
Old 19-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #46
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Ive got a 302, its not that quick but thats waaay down on my care list.

so you care more that its loud enough and uses enough fuel to make people think its quick?
Old 19-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #47
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its a generational thing.. it could have 1000hp and it wouldnt matter, "19's and boom tish" should never be mixed with "XY".. IMHO.
I will never get my head around massive wheels on old pre 80's falcons let alone a 6T under the bonnet.......
Like above, a BA I6T would be nice, Im a fan of retro for sure. But a xflow turbo instead of a Clevo is madness.

I too cant stand big chromies on old school cars; reminds me of those cheap and nasty Jada Models on ebay. Like below.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1967-Shelby-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Nice car, gay wheels.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #48
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
so you care more that its loud enough and uses enough fuel to make people think its quick?
LOL...see this is where you are wrong. I dont care what some thinks of my car. I know its quick and I dont flog it around trying to prove it.

I also dont care about fuel, or I would have brought a laser.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
The younger generation and their need to not only have the last say, but also their yearning for affamation. Do what ever makes you happy mate, there's no need to worry what others will think of a XY that sounds a little 'different'
Yes...i guess it depends on why he's building it, If he's building it for personal satisfaction then he should build whatever he wants, but if he's building it for acceptance and overwhelming "adulation from the majority of fans" i think the results of the poll tell the story...

Old 19-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #50
xrfranjo
whats that noise

The heart is never wrong....... with a legend like that needs a legend ground rumbling V8... dont mix and match like some idiot in wollongong... i think it was a LJ torry with a 13b chook cooker in it.....
Old 19-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #51
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrfranjo
The heart is never wrong....... with a legend like that needs a legend ground rumbling V8... dont mix and match like some idiot in wollongong... i think it was a LJ torry with a 13b chook cooker in it.....
I dunno if your calling me a legend, or calling me an idiot.
I hope your not comparing a torquey 4L turbo with a rotor.
Old 19-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
I will never be able to get my head around massive wheels on old pre 80's falcons let alone a 6T under the bonnet.......

It's not a generational thing, it is a taste thing,I am in my early 20's and the whole turbo and 19's thing makes me feel sick,particularly on a XY,in my opinion a vl is more suited to gimmick's like 19 inch wheels and vl's can keep the turbo aswell, because xy's certainly shouldnt have them.

Tomxy,do you want a muscle car or a ricer????

Make up your mind, because if you want a turbo and 19's dont wreck an xy in the process.
Old 19-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #53
TomXY
XY

in xy can never be a ricer? its made as a muscle car, and cant be changed to a ricer (japenese 4cyl).

I dont understand how changing the motor and wheels to something more modern is wrecking the car?
Old 19-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #54
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
It's not a generational thing, it is a taste thing,I am in my early 20's and the whole turbo and 19's thing makes me feel sick,particularly on a XY,in my opinion a vl is more suited to gimmick's like 19 inch wheels and vl's can keep the turbo aswell, because xy's certainly shouldnt have them.

Tomxy,do you want a muscle car or a ricer????

Make up your mind, because if you want a turbo and 19's dont wreck an xy in the process.

Rice is a car with the appearance of speed.

A 4L turbo with 500hp would eat a N/A 500hp clevo anyday.

and unless he's drilling in a big aluminium spoiler into the boot and duct taping on some side skirts he aint wrecking anything.

Old 19-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #55
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'm wondering if those suggesting a turbo 351 have ever been in a stout n/a Clevo.
Why turbo something that already makes more power than can be used on the street ?
Old 19-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #56
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
in xy can never be a ricer? its made as a muscle car, and cant be changed to a ricer (japenese 4cyl).

I dont understand how changing the motor and wheels to something more modern is wrecking the car?

No it is never going to be a ricer,but stupidly big wheels and turbo's are usually found on ricers,jap c#%p,vl's etc, and in my opinion have no place on an xy.

I have lost count how many time's I have been out cruising in my XW (302) or BA (3V V8) and some loser yells out get a turbo..................

The two shouldnt be mixed.
Old 19-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I'm wondering if those suggesting a turbo 351 have ever been in a stout n/a Clevo.
Why turbo something that already makes more power than can be used on the street ?
Exactly.. a N/A 351 making a genuine 500hp in an XY would be an 11 second car all day and have manners to boot... so i can't see the need for a turbo on a cleveland in a street driven car anyway.

Old 19-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #58
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
No it is never going to be a ricer,but stupidly big wheels and turbo's are usually found on ricers,jap c#%p,vl's etc, and in my opinion have no place on an xy.

I have lost count how many time's I have been out cruising in my XW (302) or BA (3V V8) and some loser yells out get a turbo..................

The two shouldnt be mixed.

Crap VL's? I've seen street VL turbo's running high 8's - low 9's, what does your 302 run?

Old 19-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #59
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

A 4L turbo with 500hp would eat a N/A 500hp clevo anyday.
Well all things being equal it should be a pretty close race...LOL

Quote:
Crap VL's? I've seen street VL turbo's running high 8's - low 9's, what does your 302 run?
Ah VL lover, well we are obviously not going to sway you. Just do the turbo if you want, but everyone will say "should have gone an 8".

Agreed with the above aswell, there is only so much you need for a daily.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #60
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:

When did I say turbo's are slow???? I merely said that in MY opinion they dont suit xy's.
Closed Thread